Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Hit by a racing pigeons during fight school today!

We were on approach to EGGP (Liverpool, UK) practising no-flap landings. From right came what we now know to be a flock of Racing Pigeons. There were three strikes - prop, windshield and co-pilot window. The latter one came straight through. Luckily my instructor had good reactions and raised his shoulder, which was subsequently found to have broken skin and massive bruising, otherwise it would have hit the size of his face. Being no-flaps we were on apporach at about 85 knots, so 15 higher than usual.

My instructor, Lucas, was briiliant - mayday'd immediately (not knowing at the time what other damage might have been done nor whether any of the blood was his or not!) - we got down pefectly safely and the emergency services were right there waiting. Luckily no serious injury and an amazing real life emergency training scenario.

The bird organ has no been placed that is where it landed - we believe it is probably the heart.

Photos can be found here.

http://1drv.ms/1IROeuV

cheers

Peter

Thank God you are ok! That could have ended MUCH worse. Your instructor earned a much deserved vacation. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I fly from next door to you Peter so heard all about the incident.

Must have been quite scary, glad the outcome was good.

Hope you invoiced the pigeon's owner for a new check list :-)

....Hope you invoiced the pigeon's owner for a new check list :-)

More like a new pair of pants I'd say! Scary. :blink:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.