Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Latest Generation Intel CPU vs 4770K Haswell

Here are the specifics about porting DX11 code to DX12 ... 
 nice

nice

Indeed ... I've got issues with some of what Microsoft does to developers, but they came thru on the DX11 to DX12 migration support.

Cheers, Rob.

well that has to bode well for the next P3D incarnation... :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Mark,

DX12 was added to Win 10 build 10041 onwards ... you can test out any DX12 API work you might be doing with that build.  

You definitely do NOT need to re-write your application from scratch to use DX12 ... in fact many of the engines using UE4 or Unit5 are already working.  The transition from DX11 to DX12 isn't a massive undertaking, here is Direct3D 12 Programming guide: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899121(v=vs.85).aspx

Here are the specifics about porting DX11 code to DX12 ... 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn913194(v=vs.85).aspx

Microsoft are clearly making the transition from DX11 to DX12 easier, but there is nothing I'm aware of that helps transition from DX9 to DX12 ... for those DX9 (like FSX) apps it will require more work.  For DX11 apps like P3D it will require less work.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

let me highlight this statement that you can find everywhere in the web

It’s not magic

DirectX 12 won’t make your PC or XBox One magically faster. 

First off, the developer has to write their game so that they’re interacting with the GPU through multiple cores simultaneously. Most games, even today, are still written so that only 1 core is dedicated to interacting with the GPU "

BTW this is the link just for the sake of clearness http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX11vsDirectX12_oversimplified

Told that, it depends on what you mean by " using " ... I mean if you mean that FSX or P3D can be faster in terms of FPS thanks to DX12, well, you are giving it all what you have got. This will never happen, NEVER.

If you mean that DX11 instructions can be read and used by DX12, well, this is another story, that's true, but there will be absolutely no FPS advantages at all, only in the very deep of the simmer heart, perhaps.

If you wanna bet $10 with me if P3D or FSX will be quicker with DX12, well, just prepare your cash because these tests have already been done since months and P3D and FSX run with the very same speed.  

If you hope that P3D one day will be written in order to partially use DX12, well, that's not feasible in terms of business, that's not worth the effort and therefore the time and money to do that compared to the low results it may come up with. LM will never do that, at least until P3D 32 bit will fully squeezzed out, therefore at least for the next upcoming 3 years. 

After all, Microsoft statements are only marketing stuff, this since years. That's not a piece of cake porting DX to DX12, otherwise LM would do that within the next weeks or months, don't you agree ? 

Cheers  ^_^

That's not a piece of cake porting DX to DX12, otherwise LM would do that within the next weeks or months, don't you agree ?

Well LM managed the (bigger) jump from DX9 to DX11 without much trouble, I imagine by V3 of P3D we will see DX12

Well LM managed the (bigger) jump from DX9 to DX11 without much trouble, I imagine by V3 of P3D we will see DX12

And that leads straight to this -> 

It’s not magic

DirectX 12 won’t make your PC or XBox One magically faster. 

First off, the developer has to write their game so that they’re interacting with the GPU through multiple cores simultaneously. Most games, even today, are still written so that only 1 core is dedicated to interacting with the GPU "

Even if LM will somehow manage to achieve that, there will be pretty much nothing more in terms of FPS, just because the well known reasons described above.

If P3D players wanna dream they are allowed to do that, the web and the results will bring them back to reality.

I am also sad about that, I am simmer too, but unless a brand new platform will surface there will no major benefit, including a Frankestein called P3D 64bit, pretty much a huge and useless effort, LM knows that very well, believe me.

Gee, Mark - you sound like you've been trained by John Venema - "you can't do this" "They'll never do that" - " 64bit will never happen" - etc.

Take some cheer up pills, man - though you are entitled to your opinion, however negative it may be.

And, for all the Microsoft hype through the years - if it weren't for them we wouldn't have a lot of the good stuff we have today. Your negative bias is showing again.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sorry Mark, your information doesn't really make much sense to me?  No one has suggested "magic", I was pointing out that DX12 API headers in place to make the transitions from DX11 to DX12 easier.  P3D has been "threaded" for many years now (as is FSX).

Your message seems to be "re-write everything" which is simply not accurate.  There are some very popular existing graphics engines that have already been converted over to DX12 ... the transition does NOT require a complete re-write of code.

Cheers, Rob.

hmmm, in relation to P3D and inside LM knowledge, do I believe Mark..or Rob?

Let me think...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Or based on what he wrote, DirectX, development pipelines, multithreading, etc etc. Entertainment value though.  

Mark, you seem to misunderstand what you are quoting.

What your bold text means is that Dx12 will not make anything faster if you run an older dx title on it, which it can as it is backwards compatible. It has to be written for it to make use of it.

As rob says, the migration to dx12 is easier, so once a title has been converted to make use of dx12 it will be better. Just because it used to be an older version doesn't mean it cannot be converted and make use of the new features.

Chris

Hello,

Do you think an octocore would be benefit for P3D ?

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

Adding an answer to the first few posts, I feel like my system is pretty balanced in P3D. Both the CPU and GPU are relatively equal bottlenecks depending on the scenery.

I run an i7 5820K (12 threads with HT on), and two GTX 970s in SLI. I have most settings maxed (with a few tweaks/exceptions) and get 30-40 FPS on average. In rural areas, I'll even hit my monitor's 60fps cap (I use Vsync).

So yeah, in conclusion, a powerful CPU is very important, but so is a powerful GPU. As technology changes (DX12 etc.), the GPU will become more and more important.

If I was building my PC again, I probably would wait for the new Intel Skylake line and buy the "bang for buck" i7 from that. If I had to buy one now, it would be a 4790K. I don't feel X99 & my 5820K has been worth the premium I paid - that money would have been better invested in more expensive GPUs.

Mark, you seem to misunderstand what you are quoting.

What your bold text means is that Dx12 will not make anything faster if you run an older dx title on it, which it can as it is backwards compatible. It has to be written for it to make use of it.

As rob says, the migration to dx12 is easier, so once a title has been converted to make use of dx12 it will be better. Just because it used to be an older version doesn't mean it cannot be converted and make use of the new features.

Chris

Well, please correct me if I recall it wrong but, LM has officially stated that they are thinking about moving to a 64bit P3d since more or less 2 years and so far, they havn't come to an official decision yet.

This should lead you to think, why ? Because of many reasons just like the needing to recompile each third party addon and also and above all because there won't be any major advantages on building such a Frankenstein, beside avoiding out of memory issues.

The speech is similar for DX12, I think that within more or less 1-2 years P3D will have maybe DX12 compatibility but let me point, I refferred to no FPS advantages like it's clear in my bold quote, you are refferring to " it will be better " instead.

If there will be no FPS advantages for sure adopting DX12, could you please elaborate further what do you mean for " it will be better " considering that it will be just a porting-marketing move ?

Then, Dovetail has abandoned its flight simulation projects due to budget constraints and lack of flight knowledge so P3D will have open field to have the monopoly on the flight simulation market, this will obviously lead to huge delays in terms of releasing upgrades, probably DX12 compatibility will be done within 2 years from now and we will have not a single FPS added, I think this scenario deserves attention and that's not an exciting one for sure. 

Well, please correct me if I recall it wrong but, LM has officially stated that they are thinking about moving to a 64bit P3d since more or less 2 years and so far, they havn't come to an official decision yet.

Mark - your logic is good but your entire premise is based upon speculation. The first part of your statement above is correct - they HAVE said they would be looking at 64bit - but then you fantasize the second part - "So far they haven't come to an official decision yet" - is PURE speculation.

All most people know is that they have made NO announcements - how you can interpret that to mean they have not come to an official decision is amazing. Considering they are quite tight lipped about specifics I am not surprised there is no comment. Can you imagine the deluge of inane questions that will happen when they DO announce OFFICIALLY that they have a 64bit version in the works?

Frankly, it's misinformed statements like that that have permeated many of the flightsim discussions through the years and created a lot of completely UNinformed speculation and rumors.

You may quite well be correct - but the point is - it's just YOUR speculative opinion.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors