Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Orbx Patch for P3D Hotfix # 4

Is there a patch from Orbx for P3D Hotfix # 4?

If so, where to get?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

When you open FTX Central it will notify you of any updates and then will download and install if you OK it!

Launching P3d once it's patched will auto update the ORBX files on it's own.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

FTX Central.............I forgot about its new capabilities, it did download an update!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Bill,

I believe ObjectFlow.dll will automatically check for updates on startup (as long as you have the entry in your DLL.XML and it's set to  enable or Disabled=False ... I hate it when programmers use double negatives like that) ... FTX Central 2 isn't required.

You will be prompted that a new version is available and it will proceed to download and update and then restart P3D.  However, you need to be aware that if you have other EXE entries they can sometimes be memory resident from the first execution and no yet shutdown before P3D restarts ... this CAN cause issues.  So when P3D does restart after the Orbx update, I'd recommend you shutdown P3D and wait a minute or two (basically waiting for any EXE.XML entries to terminate) before restarting P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

I agree with Rob 100%. Object flow updates followed by immediate  P3D auto restarts have caused all sorts of headaches with other programs still running.  Not only do I immediately shut down P3D upon the auto restart, I reboot to make sure all .exe's are off before starting P3D again. I wish ORBX gave you an option to start P3D or not start P3D after the update instead of immediately starting it automatically.  Does anyone know how to install an object flow update separately when P3D isn't running? Maybe the object flow can be updated by reinstalling the latest ORBX libs?  I'd rather say "no" when the ORBX popup asks about updates, and then update the object flow separately.  There is another vendor whose updates continually stopped the sim and asked if you want to update mid-sim.  Besides being irritating, it is presumptuous that I want to drop everything else for their update. I have not used that particular software for several years simply because of that.  Hope ORBX can improve on this, or maybe they have and I'm missing the boat somewhere.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Hi,

I don't remember getting this automated shutdown that Rob mentioned:

"You will be prompted that a new version is available and it will proceed to download and update and then restart P3D. However, you need to be aware that if you have other EXE entries they can sometimes be memory resident from the first execution and no yet shutdown before P3D restarts ... this CAN cause issues. So when P3D does restart after the Orbx update, I'd recommend you shutdown P3D and wait a minute or two (basically waiting for any EXE.XML entries to terminate) before restarting P3D."

But I did get an update when I ran FTX Central 2.

However, when I go to a small Orbx airport, everything seems to be working as scenery looks ok and people are animated.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Hi Bill,

It's very possible both (FTX Central 2 and the ObjectFlow.DLL itself) will do the updating of the ObjectFlow.DLL (and copy/rename them to the older Airports that have their own ObjectFlow.dll).  However, that logic is built into ObjectFlow.DLL also since Orbx can't rely on the user always running FTX Central 2.  At least, that's how it seems to work on my setup.

BTW, you can disable ObjectFlow.dll via the DLL.XML and your Orbx airports will continue to work, just missing a few features here and there.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for your help Rob!

I believe everything is working as expected.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Excellent, Orbx are pretty good about getting the patches quickly and in some cases before an official update/hotfix is released.

Cheers, Rob.

I agree with Rob 100%. Object flow updates followed by immediate  P3D auto restarts have caused all sorts of headaches with other programs still running.  Not only do I immediately shut down P3D upon the auto restart, I reboot to make sure all .exe's are off before starting P3D again. I wish ORBX gave you an option to start P3D or not start P3D after the update instead of immediately starting it automatically.  Does anyone know how to install an object flow update separately when P3D isn't running? Maybe the object flow can be updated by reinstalling the latest ORBX libs?  I'd rather say "no" when the ORBX popup asks about updates, and then update the object flow separately.  There is another vendor whose updates continually stopped the sim and asked if you want to update mid-sim.  Besides being irritating, it is presumptuous that I want to drop everything else for their update. I have not used that particular software for several years simply because of that.  Hope ORBX can improve on this, or maybe they have and I'm missing the boat somewhere.

I think if you go into p3droot/Orbx/Scripts there will be a an icon for objectflow update. I always updste separately. You could create a shortcut. I'm not at my computer. If I'm wrong accept apologies.

Excellent, Orbx are pretty good about getting the patches quickly and in some cases before an official update/hotfix is released.

Since Orbx, ASN and F1 GTN750 are updated now for HF#4, I guess there is no need to wait any longer with applying this hotfix.

Or are there known issues with other add-ons?

Since Orbx, ASN and F1 GTN750 are updated for HF#4, I guess there is no need to wait any longer with applying this hotfix.

Or are there known issues with other add-ons?

That is what I have been trying to find out, but seems nobody knows for sure. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You'll have to list your add-ons you are concerned about ... but HF4 is a minor update.  Going from v2.4 to v2.5 is where one encountered more significant updates and breaking changes.

Cheers, Rob.

You'll have to list your add-ons you are concerned about ... but HF4 is a minor update.  Going from v2.4 to v2.5 is where one encountered more significant updates and breaking changes.

Cheers, Rob.

I installed the Hotfix today and patched active sky and everything seems fine. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310