Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Carenado Navajo....bought it.

Anyone with some aeronautical knowledge would soon realise some Carenado aircraft have FDE's that are no better then default fs98 aircraft. Anyone without aeronautical knowledge could soon spend a few minute researching an aircraft then would reach the same conclusion.

I bought 10 fs9 aircraft on sale for around $3-4 each and seriously doubt they're worth any more then that. Having flown a real aircaft, some freeware aircraft feel more realistic.

Carenado develop add-ons for the 'eye candy' crowd. Nothing more. Nothing less.

With all do respect for your experience in real aircraft, I disagree.  Carenado products are a little more than eye candy.  I admit some are better than others and I have gotten a refund on a couple of their products.  But, overall, I find them accepable simulations.  By acceptable, I mean this;  I have over 12,000 hours in general aviation aircraft.  That includes the Navajo.  When I fly the sim, I am looking for a combination of sight, sound, and feel that re-connects me with the real experience.  This Navajo is not perfect.  I have to overlook some minor flaws.  But it is close enough in sight, sound and feel to trigger the recall neurofunction that I enjoy.  Maybe I am a member of the "eye candy" crowd.  But I am also a member of the "been there, done that" crowd.  And, IMO, this is not a bad product for $38.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

I probably should've mentioned I don't have that aircraft and by the sounds of it it's reasonable. I guess some of us are a little disspointed in some of their offerings so won't be hastily using the c/c again without a lot of research. Appreciate the reply and review though.

Thanks Jon.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

These are some valid points (on both sides) that  have been made.

For me, is all about "value." The A2A Comanche and ASN have changed how I sim with FSX.

I now need to check the oil and fuel before my flights and I no longer fly in boring, predictable weather. My flights are exciting and fulfilling.

It's going to be difficult for me to buy another Carenado airplane. Maybe at 50% off.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Anyone with some aeronautical knowledge would soon realise some Carenado aircraft have FDE's that are no better then default fs98 aircraft. Anyone without aeronautical knowledge could soon spend a few minute researching an aircraft then would reach the same conclusion.

I have to disagree.  One thing I like to do is find real world aircraft tables, read articles and watch videos to see how the aircraft performs against them.  Also, I like to see what 'numbers' RW pilots use when they fly and see how the FSX airplane does when you use those numbers.  I did that with the PA46 Malibu Mirage a while back and it was, I think, as close as you could get.  Climbouts, go-arounds, cruise, pretty much spot on (with some minor exceptions during decent).  Honestly, I haven't done that on the default airplanes because I really don't want to fly them, but Carenado didn't get the numbers right on the PA46 by accident.  Now, in terms of unusual handling (stalls, slow flight, spins) that kind of information is harder to find but, honestly, I don't do them that much anyway in these planes.  My point is, yeah, Carenado planes are frustrating when it comes to systems and bugs...drives my nuts!  But don't lump everything they do into that.  Bernt Stolle is one of the best at FDEs.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Some points.....

Yes, Bernt Stolle is very good with flight dynamic programming.  If a plane has his input, then it's worthwhile.

I also like A2A aircraft. Not much into the maintenance thing, because I spent many years in real life doing airplane maintenance. I still have a lot of aircraft specific tools, that I should get rid of.  

These days, I usually wait for the Carenados to get over to the X-plane side.  This is because the flight dynamics have to be re-worked because of incompatibility. Note: I never have thought that X-Plane has more realistic FD than MSFS products. Have been a fan of RealAir for many years, and now A2A.  It's just that the Carenados end up with better FD, than some other X-plane offerings.  Mostly to do with the X-Plane "torque" issue.

Might just have to get the Navajo for FSX.  It just looks great, and would go well with my Orbx scenery.

I think it looks nice, sounds nice and will be fun for flying the islands. An easy "jump in and have fun" plane. Sometimes a study sim just doesn't fit the mood, and this one looks appropriate.

I once heard a prominent FS publisher state "You can't buy advertising like that!" over a similar thread here at Avsim that had to do with his own product. I hope Carenado's smiling about the little sales boost this morning. :smile:

These are some valid points (on both sides) that have been made.

For me, is all about "value." The A2A Comanche and ASN have changed how I sim with FSX.

I now need to check the oil and fuel before my flights and I no longer fly in boring, predictable weather. My flights are exciting and fulfilling.

It's going to be difficult for me to buy another Carenado airplane. Maybe at 50% off.

I remember when I was at this stage. Well now I'm a ctrl+E fan - got three children now including my brand new preemie - not much time to sim! These type of planes are perfect for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

- got three children now including my brand new preemie

Three young ones here too, I literally do my sim flying at 2am!

Looks pretty good, but will wait for a sale to pick this one up.

Kimo

I bought it. I like it. Not perfect but fun to fly.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

After reading that on their website, I came to the conclusion that these guys have little knowledge or ability in all things aircraft. That comment above is embarrassing. 

That was the reply they sent to me when I asked them that question.  I hangared the PC12 and, at this point, don't even have it installed.  It is a bug in FSX, but other devs are making a workaround for ITT for turboprops so I don't even consider Carenado for those.  Like I mentioned in my post, there are things about Carenado that really frustrate me.  Switches that don't work, bugs, sounds that are just wrong.  I don't feel that they are digging deep enough in the airplanes they're putting out...even the steam aircraft...so it's fairly rare that I'll buy one any more.  They need to dig more...like RealAir, A2A and Milviz.  Find the personality of the airplane, make you feel that you're in it.  I do like their FDEs and, lord knows, their graphics but for all the struggling to make the airplane right after it's released, it's not been worth it.  For me, and this plane, if you want a Navajo, I'm thinking this is a good plane and worth the money .  It's popular in the GA world, flies high and pretty fast.  But, if you are just looking for a good twin, the RealAir Duke is far, far superior. 

EDIT:  But...big point to make...even the RealAir Duke has the same bug other turbocharged aircraft have in that you have to lean the mixture in the climb (you shouldn't have to) and absolutely nobody is going to make the claim that Rob Young doesn't know his airplane.  So, while the ITT bug is an FSX bug that Carenado could have dealt with, even great, meticulous developers have issues with these FSX bugs.  

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I remember when I was at this stage. Well now I'm a ctrl+E fan - got three children now including my brand new preemie - not much time to sim! These type of planes are perfect for me.

Nothing wrong with using ctrl+E. It doesn't take me that long to do a PF in real life. In the sim, I devote a few minutes, then I'm ready to go. I'm just fascinated by how realistic the A2A Comanche can be. I'll throw in the RA Turbine Duke with GTN 750, and the PMDG 737ngx. Those are the three kids that keep me busy.  :wub: 

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

In my history as a MSFS user I bought only one Carenado - the B1900d which I used even with FSX:SE.

I found it very good is all respects, just as high found their XP10 add-ons as well.

Never understood the bad comments about Carenado, honestly.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Can't imagine that I would have stayed with flight simming all these years if it weren't for companies like Carenado/Alabeo and ORBX.

Guess I'm just not into negativity. And yes, I am a "real" pilot as though that should even matter.

John