Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Is the C337H SKYMASTER Carenados best plane ?

After having the opportunity to view a real C337 I have gotten interested in this plane. I think I have read somewhere that this plane is Carenados best product. Are there some truth in that ? If so in what way is it better than their other planes ? I have their C208 Grand Caravan. How does the C377 compare to that plane ? One thing that have made me prefer A2A offerings over Carenados is damage simulation. In A2A planes you can overheat the engines. In the Carenado C208 you can run the engine at max power without consequences (as far as I have noticed). The same thing for Aerosoft Beaver X. And in that plane the engine would soon break in real life. But it might be different in other planes i.e no failure but more wear and tear. So maybe the C208 and the C337 are not unrealistic in this regard after all ?

Also it said to be for P3D but it does not state which version of P3D. Version 1 or 2 ?

I'll pick A2A over Carenado any day of the week, but the thing is, A2A doesnt have the Skymaster... If you want a Skymaster for P3D, you're pretty much stuck with the Carenado.

The more current Carenado aircraft are more modern aircraft, with complicated systems and in my opinion, Carenado shouldnt do aircraft like that, because they stick to the FSX/P3D native controls and dont go outside the basic programming, like, for example, A2A, Majestic and PMDG do. Also they tend to have flaws and bugs which arent always fixed satisfactory.

None the less, the more basic aircraft from Carenado are quite nice and from what I understand, the Skymaster is one of their best aircraft. I dont think I'm qualified to say it's their best, but they did a very nice job.

I dont fly the C208 myself, so I cant give you any comparison between those two.

About the P3D version, the Skymaster comes with a dual installer, which is meant for P3D1, but it works fine in P3D2 as well, you just have to point the installer to the right folder, that's all. I never had any problems with Carenado aircraft, also FSX ones, in P3D2.

Cheers!

Maarten

I never flew a C337 but I have flown other high-wing Cessna airplanes.  I remember taking off in the Carenado C337 the first time and just remember flying it that it had that Cessna feel to it...like the C182 but with a gentler sway.  I just flew around for a while climbing, turning and really, really enjoyed it.  For that reason alone, I'd probably recommend it.  In terms of failures, Carenado's airplanes are basic in that department.  They really have tons of opportunities to make their older planes better rather than cranking out their new planes. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The C337 is one of my favorite addons, as Gregg said, it feels rigth (unlike some other Carenado planes), and one thing I enjoyed about it - apart from it being a relatively cool and unusual design for an airplane - is the simplicity of the systems while the model is still visually appealing.

I have to admit, I do own some of the A2A planes, but I am most likely the worst person to judge them, because the only plane I have mastered is their J3. I have bought the C172, but it was released at a time where I did not really have time to spend on flight simming, but perhaps (hopefully!) the summer break will give me some time to get back into it. Anyway, from what I've read, and based on what they achieved in the simple Cub already, you won't be able to get any of that from the Carenado C337. But it's still a nice plane for a quick flight.

Cheers,

Flo

I'm not a big fan of Carenado but I can honestly say the 337 is their best. I was just saying this to a friend the other day. You wont be disappointed 

I think it's also the last plane they got a gold star for...might be wrong but it did get a gold star nonetheless.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

C337 is a great and fun airplane, maybe one of the best from Carenado. However it is riddled with unresolved issues. But then again, which airplane from Carenado isnt.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

C337 is a great and fun airplane, maybe one of the best from Carenado. However it is riddled with unresolved issues. But then again, which airplane from Carenado isnt.

What issues are you aware of?

Gregg Seipp

Yes I love it,especially in the Red Bull livery,it is the only aircraft that I bother to install by Carenado despite owning about 6 of there add ons,I love it for its visibility when flying low and slow,esp when using Orbx,and for being so different,it is old but still looks good,a must have aircraft for me,just like the Sibwings Antonov which I find full of atmosphere and wonder how the real planes kept flying

What issues are you aware of?

The fuel selectors do not operate correctly. Fuel guages will not respond to decreasing levels unless fuel selector is placed in "Level Fly Only" The "T.O and Landing" selection are inop. Could be vice versa, can't remember. Also the plane will start up regardless of fuel selector settings.

Also, a big no no...

Aux fuel pumps do not operate at all how they should...rear fuel pump actually tied to front fuel pump Low.

Default GNS 530 completely washed out and unreadable at times. Can be fix with a gps guage mod.

Those are the main issues at this point.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The fuel selectors do not operate correctly. Fuel guages will not respond to decreasing levels unless fuel selector is placed in "Level Fly Only" The "T.O and Landing" selection are inop. Could be vice versa, can't remember. Also the plane will start up regardless of fuel selector settings.

Also, a big no no...

Aux fuel pumps do not operate at all how they should...rear fuel pump actually tied to front fuel pump Low.

Default GNS 530 completely washed out and unreadable at times. Can be fix with a gps guage mod.

I remember those.  Seems like the fuel tank issue is actually an FSX bug that you can work around by moving the fuel switch.  It's the same on other airplanes.  In terms of the fuel pumps, yeah, probably broken but not something I cared about.

Gregg Seipp

Also, a big no no...

Do you have any screenshots of the GNS530 issue? I fly a 182 IRL that has one and just curious on how Carenado is modeling it.