Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Safest Airlines here and in the whole world.

Hi all, I ran across these airline statistics that I found very interesting. I simply thought I'd share them with you. Enjoy the read. StanSafest AirlinesUnited States and CanadaRankings Airlines Average Accident Rate 1 South West 0.00 2 America West 0.00 3 Delta Airlines 0.23 4 North West 0.35 5 Continental Airlines 0.40 6 United Airlines 0.43 7 US Air 0.45 8 Air Canada 0.48 9 Aloha Airlines 0.49 10 American Airlines 0.53 Sources: AirDisaster.com, AirSafe.com, Boeing, FAA. Statistics valid through December 31, 2000United States and Canada are classified under the First World category. From the table above, the accident rates for all the 10 Airlines are below 1.0, indicating that they have a very safe record.Caribbean & Latin/South America RegionsRankings Airlines Accident Rate 1 Mexicana Airlines 0.53 2 Aerolineas Argentinas 1.20 3 Varig 1.22 4 Aeromexico 1.85 5 Transbrazil 2.35 6 Avianca 3.15 7 VASP 3.24 8 LAN Chile 4.00 9 Aero Peru 16.7 10 Cubana 24.0 Sources: AirDisaster.com, Boeing, FAA. Statistics valid through December 31, 2000In the Caribbean & Latin/South American Regions, the disparity between the safest and the least safe is quite marked. The first five rankings seem reasonable even though they are classified under the Developing World category.Europe Rankings Airlines Average Accident Rate 1 BA 0.270 2 Lufthansa 0.300 3 SAS 0.595 4 British Midlands 0.680 5 Braathens SAFE 0.695 6 Alitalia 0.750 7 Iberia 0.845 8 Air France 0.870 9 KLM 1.030 10 TAP Portugal 1.060 Sources: AirDisaster.com, AirSafe.com, Boeing, FAA. Statistics valid through December 31, 2000European Airlines all come under the First World category and their records indicate their better safety standards. Africa and Middle EastRankings Airlines Accident Rate 1 South African 0.63 2 Saudi Airlines 1.40 3 Royal Air Moroc 1.54 4 Kenyan Airways 3.00 5 Air Afrique 3.33 6 Ethopian 4.00 7 Nigerian Airways 5.00 8 Egypt Air 8.00 9 Royal Jordanian 8.82 10 Air Zimbabwe 12.50 Sources: AirDisaster.com, Boeing, FAA. Statistics valid through December 31, 2000In Africa and the Middle East, only South Africa has been grouped under the First World category. Its record is fairly impressive when compared to the other African/Middle East countries.Australia and AsiaRankings Airlines Accident Rate 1 Qantas 0.00 2 All Nippon Airways 0.22 3 Air New Zealand 0.74 4 Cathay Pacific Airways 0.97 5 Malaysia Airlines 1.11 6 Thai International 1.90 7 Singapore/Silk Air 2.00 8 Japan Airlines 2.05 9 Garuda Airlines 4.08 10 Philippines Airlines 4.68 Sources: AirDisaster.com, Boeing, FAA. Statistics valid through December 31, 2000Qantas is one of the safest airlines in the world with a record of zero fatalities in its many years of operation. However, one of its Boeing 747 was involved in an accident during a landing in Bangkok. Although there were no fatalities, the damage to the airplane was quite extensive. Instead of writing off the hull that would be cheaper, it appears that Qantas decided to repair the airplane to maintain a zero hull loss record!According to the table, All Nippon Airways has an even better record than most of the American or European best Airlines.

Very interesting table

Guest ba747heavy

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I seem to remember an SWA 737-300 overrunning the runway on landing at KBUR a few years ago and almost impacting a gas station across the street - could have been really bad. Is this survey only taking into account accidents which caused fatilities?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest prichards

Qantas is also the second oldest airline in the world.

Guest Paul Heaney

Hehehe, anyone wanna fly Cubana?

They're among the safest in the world but saying so would not be politically correct...

Interesting info there. What that doesn't seem to take into account is how many flights or how many miles are flown.For instance, if I have an airline that flies from my local airport to a tourist island 30 miles away, twice a day and never has an accident, I have an accident rate of 0.As compared to, say, Delta, who has hundreds, if not thousands of flights, a day, and has one accident. While they look like they have a worse record, but in reality they don't. Or, at least, that's how I understand it.

Guest dugan1

imoore,I think your interpretation is correct. The data posted here look very much like data I once saw published where the number represented the number of crashes or the number of fatal crashes (don't recall which) per 1 million takeoffs. Most U.S. carriers in the data I saw were at 0.5, or one crash per 2 million flights. So it is true that Southwest's 0 prior to the year 2000 may not be truly indicative of extraordinary safety, while Delta's 0.23 certainly is (I remember specifically noting from the data I saw that Delta had an exceptional number, because I fly Delta a lot).The data I saw also segregated accident rates by aircraft type. I don't recall seeing any one type of aircraft that was exceptionally safe compared to its competitors, but I do recall that the Concorde had the worst numbers of all, with its single crash in Paris, divided by only about what was it...50,000 or 70,000 flights or so?

Actually, El Al's rate is very high. They have very few flights compared to major carriers, but have had two "fatal events". Both, additionally, were maintainance related. In 1977 pressurization failed on a flght over Yugoslavia, and a passenger was killed, and then more famously in 1992 an engine fell off a cargo flight taking off from Amsterdam. The pilot tried to turn back but couldn't make it, and crashed into an apartment building, killing the flight crew and 48 people on the ground. Two incidents and over 50 dead in less than a million flights, compared with, for example, no incidents and no deaths in 12 million flights for SouthWest makes for a high incidence rate.Richard

Guest Sunny9850

The same argument can be made for the 0.3 for Lufthansa which has a huge number of flights and a great many of them are extremely long range.

Guest Dan CYKA

We should have a contest to see who can fly Cubana the most without any incidents.

Guest danowat

Hmm, seems to me the europe bit is missing some of the low cost airlines, I know EasyJet and Ryanair have a very, very good, if not impecable safty recordDan.

Guest danowat

double post