Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Safest Airlines here and in the whole world.

Guest saudi_777

Despite the two fatal accidents that have occured to Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV), from my personal knowledge of operations and maintenance at SV, SV is actually just as safe as South African Airlines. While the August 19th 1980 L1011 Tristar accident in Riyadh was attributed mostly to pilot error, the November 12th 1996 747-100B mid-air collision disaster near New Delhi wasn't SV's fault, since the Captain of the 747 was following procedures accurately and was following ATC instructions precisely: it was the flight crew of the Kazakhstan Airlines IL-76 who descended from their assigned altitude of 15,000 feet to 14,000 feet, the same altitude at which the SV 747 was flying at in the opposite direction. The only blame which can be pointed at SV in the 747/IL-76 mid-air collision disaster is that SV didn't have any TCAS gauges installed on their 747-100B's, and thus after this accident all of SV's aircraft were fitted with TCAS gauges in their cockpits. It's worth noting that neither the IL-76 had a TCAS gauge installed in its cockpit. In short, SV was innocent in the 1996 mid-air collision disaster.Other than a small number of non-fatal minor incidents, Saudi Arabian Airlines can be considered one of the safest airlines in the Middle East/Africa region, and thus it has the same safety standard as South African Airlines and Emirates. This isn't only because of the excellent maintenance that SV has, but it's also because of SV's high standard flight training system and their highly professional flight crew.Cheers,

A cousin of mine left British Airways some years ago for a more senior flight attendant job with Saudi Airlines. She'd only been with them a week or two, and was working the first class cabin on a flight from Heathrow.She reached across to pour a glass of water for the passenger in the window seat, and the passenger in the aisle seat slid his hand straight up inside her skirt and groped her. She dumped the contents of the water jug she was holding into his lap, and went and told the purser what had happened. He told her that that was something one just had to put up with for the considerably higher pay that Saudi Airlines gives it's ex-pat cabin staff.On arrival at Jeddah, she was surprised to be hustled by a manager straight onto a flight for Paris. She was told that the guy she'd been groped by was a member of the extended Saudi royal family, and he wanted her charged with assault. The manager was putting her on the first plane out of the country without any paperwork to get her out of his reach. By the time the flight got to Paris, she'd already been fired. She had to pay her own way from Paris to London, and never received a paycheck from Saudi Airlines even for the orientation week and couple of flights she'd worked prior to the incident.Two years later, I was on a flight home to London after working in Ras Tanura, and shortly before take-off I was bumped from my seat in business class back to coach, because another princeling had decided to fly at the last minute, and wanted his staff to sit in business class. When I complained to customer service in London they actually tried to make an additional charge on my credit card. They said they were going to refund me half of my advance purchase round trip business class ticket, and charge me a full fare no advance purchase one-way coach (or "Guest class") ticket instead, which was actually MORE than half the apex business class ticket. They actually wanted me to PAY over a hundred pounds for the privilege of being bumped from Business class to coach class. Sorry, but I wouldn't set foot on a Saudi Airlines flight again if *they* paid *me*Richard

Probably just not up to the number of flights to generate a meaningfull number yet. Richard

Guest saudi_777

Hi Richard,Sorry to know about you & your cousin's bad experiences with Saudi Airlines, I guess it pretty much reflects how some (not all) of the Saudi princes think very rudely and selfishly without respect for others, and also how the management in Saudi Airlines isn't really good to say the least. While the flight crews of Saudi Airlines are very professional and the maintenance in the airline is very efficient, the airline's management and its way of handling Saudi princes is quite awful, and this isn't something that only foreigners are complaining about. Countless numbers of employees from the airline and Saudi nationals have complained about the very same issues that you've pointed out in Saudi Airlines, but what can we do? For what it's worth, Saudi Airlines isn't a perfect airline, and those issues demonstrate that quite clearly. Maybe with more pressure from employess from the airline and Saudi nationals, the management of the airline will get better and I certainly hope so.Cheers,

Guest jdu

Pre - Flight breifing to the passengers on Cubana - "Welcome to Cubana flight XXX to XXX. Look under you seats, and you'll see a parachute, firmly affix it to you torso just like a backpack. Now to you left you will see a mask, attach it to you face using the straps on the side. Next fasten you seat belts, first you latch the waist belt, then its the shoulder harnesses, finally the leg and arm restraints. In the event of a mid-air breakup, those who aren't sucked out should make for the gaping hole in the airplane, jump out, pull the bright orange ripcord, and hope it works. Should we land in the water, you seat cushions can be used to keep you alfloat. The pouch on the left strap of the parachute contains a sirvival kit, you'll need that due to the fact that we can't afford up-to-date ELTs. If you happen to make it to you destination without incident, the seat arm contains a "Congradulations" card, feel free to take it. Thank you for flying Cubana, and good luck!" :-hah