Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

First flight on the newest build of Windows 10...

Does your Win 10 version include DX12? Does the driver for your graphics adapter already support it?

While Prepar3d does not yet have native DX12 support, I was always asking myself it there could be an advantage alone via driver/adapter DX12 support. Maybe someone of the experts can comment on this.

Kind regards, Michael

Honestly, I have no idea. 

I burnt myself out on really diving into to driver's etc. early, I still got all the skills to build a comp and tech it to death if I wanted...P3D is spoiling me. All I know is that my Laptop runs 3 monitors at an insanely soild 25-30FPS with high detail. I avoid places like NYC because it will drop down to about 14-15. The laptop only weighs 7 lbs. so I take it with me everywhere...I wish someone made a really really miniature yoke or joystick...which kind of makes me laugh. Good lord we are spoiled aren't we? I remember being stoked with 18FPS on FS98...

"Look at those flaps! They friggin move instead of just going into place!!!! I'm only flying planes with control animation from now on!!"

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Would Windows 10 work with FSX:SE, or is it only optimized for P3D? Kinda wanting to bite the bullet now and get 10!!!

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

How could DX10 fixer work in P3D? Are you talking about FSX?

You got me man, I had sitting in my massive "library" folder...which is truely massive. I tried it out after my install of the base of it. I can tell you the difference is noticeable, and I don't know which one it was.

So this tells me it may not be entirely Windows 10 related.

When making performance improvement claims, the situation needs to be an apples to apples comparison.  Same scenery, same add-ons, same planes, same mods, etc.

Gregg, I don't know what it was. I didn't say for a fact it was this or that, I was geniunely excited and Windows 10 was one of the recent changes, cool?

I've done about 4 full re-installs in the past week trying to find the best performance. Old habits die hard. I've been Simming for 20 years. I started with FS4.0 when I was 12 years old. I've been messing with this damn thing for 20 years trying to get it smooth and pretty. Every time I reinstalled P3D it was better fresh then after a bunch of this and that and .cfg edits and blah blah blah.

To humor the curious, which includes me, here's the process...

- Full Format and installation of "Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10162" (I have a 256 SSD for Windows and P3D only)

- Began the install process which went like this, a circle of mayhem    -     P3D, FSUIPC, load, restart, UTX (NickN's guide on modyfying flattening, width etc. etc. I can offer a link if people dont know of it) GEP3D, REX + SOFT CLOUDS, load, restart, Steve's DX10 Scenery Fix (I'll glady take a picture of my settings if so desired) Modify Prepar3d.cfg (I did every one listed on their website, only thing changed was FFM to 0.21, BufferPools to 100000000, AffinityMask to 84, LOD to 6.5)

I then installed all my planes and most scenery and here I am now...it's awesome.

But I still want to mess with it, and I will. I'm addicted. I'm going to build a beast of a Hackintosh because I need it in my studio here in Texas. That things gonna make rock-and-roll fly.

Happy 4th everyone, I'll be in my cave.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Oooooooooooooooooo so mayyyybbbeeeee...my old post about the possibilities of DX 12 and P 3-D might have some verisimilitude??

Gotta stay on top of this!

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Wondering if I can have a bit of fun with this: you're the second coming of 'Sesquashtoo'!

Lol, was thinking the same thing, maybe Sesquashtoo's brother. We can call him Sesquashtoo2.

All I know is that my Laptop runs 3 monitors at an insanely soild 25-30FPS with high detail.

The laptop only weighs 7 lbs. so I take it with me everywhere...

3 monitors off a laptop and 25 to 30 FPS? You don't take the 3 monitors everywhere with you as well, do you? How the performance with just the lap top monitor?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

All the benchmarks in the web state that W10 is just like W7/8 in terms of performance so we have 2 scenarios

1) you are a Microsoft marketing insider 

2) something happened, maybe your old installation was somehow corrupted but for sure W10 is not faster than W7, sometimes it is even slightly slower, after all that's only a free of charge Service Pack

Cheers 

To humor the curious, which includes me, here's the process...

- Full Format and installation of "Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10162" (I have a 256 SSD for Windows and P3D only)

- load, restart, Steve's DX10 Scenery Fix (I'll glady take a

Why on earth would you install the DX10 scenery fix with P3D ? I doubt it can it even work with P3D

P3D runs under DX11 not DX10

No difference in performance at my end either. I have the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on a Corsair 240GB SSD and P3D performs nearly identical to Windows 7 Ultimate here (in some instances, it's a little slower to respond than 7). Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing exotic in terms of performance, all exactly the same. In Windows 7, I get 30 fps easily at moderate settings and only two tweaks to the cfg (Affinity Mask and Fiber Time Frame Fraction) - it was exactly the same in Windows 10.

System : i7 4790K@4.0ghz, Corsair Force Series 240GB SSD, Asus Strix GTX970 4GB, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM

Absolutely no difference on my test rig with a fresh install of latest W10 IP and P3Dv2,5 HF4. In fact I think it might even be a little `stickier` with a few more stutters. It's all so `beta` that I resolved to just leave P3D on my main w7 PC until there are real, demonstrable and repeatable benefits from relevant sources confirmed by L-M.

Seems obvious that L-M will need time to optimise the sim for the new DX12 environment, GPU drivers need to get out of beta-land and then the two need to be mollycoddled to work together, just as it has had to be with DX11. I've seen no Hotfix from P3D developers so it cannot, by definition be doing anything with DX12 except under retro-compatibility with 11. Any work that is going on is doing so behind the scenes away from our field of view.

I think it's probably time to stop smoking that medecine, maaaan.  :Peace:

I listen and or watch a 2 hour program every week just about Windows on the TWIT Network. The people that are on this show are experts in everything about windows, and I have yet to hear them mention increased speed with Windows 10. https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/420?autostart=false

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Running build 10162, there is no difference in performance. It is stable though, after about 5 hours of flying with it so that is promising.

Windows 10 will benefit applications that utilize DX12 to the tune of 30% - 50% and that is what we all hope will turn out to be true.

Maybe then, some are seeing improvement, some not, but overall I'm hearing that stability is ok.

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid!

I'm addicted to kool-aid, time to beta test.

I've not had a problem with stability in any build since waaay back, but then I'm only installing the OS and few choice bits of software for testing purposes. No way is anything important going on that rig. But nothing and no build has yet delivered substantial speed increases, beyond the small increments you get as as the builds evolve.

In fact the biggest gains have come from improving beta Nvidia drivers, suggesting that the code is a long way from optimised, no matter how close to initial release things might be.

I think any perceived increase is caused by other factors, not the `new` OS (which is nothing of the sort).

The last couple of version of Windows, when you installed a pre release version, when the final version came out you had to wipe your drive and reinstall everything from scratch. That is why I don't install pre release versions anymore. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310