Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

First flight on the newest build of Windows 10...

dx12 is not out officially, until win 10 release

I'm going to estimate a 7 to 10% performance increase over previous windows when they take out all the development stubs for a release candidate.

leave my colorful unicorn alone!

Makes sense and a good point

Rich Sennett

My experience upgrading my system to Windows 10 build 10162 showed a marked improvement in FSX-SE and an improvement, although less, in P3D.  I am talking about 50% higher FPS in FSX-SE and about 25% in P3D.  Now this is changing nothing else in my setup which is the OS and most software on a Hybrid HD, P3D and FSX-SE each on an SSD.  All I did was the upgrade to my Hybrid drive with the Windows 10 upgrade.

I also did a test using another disk doing a clean install and then installing Steam with FSX-SE.  That actually showed a decrease of 10-20 % in FPS.

Guess it shows each experience will be different but the one thing I believe is Windows 10 will be an improvement of 7 and 8.1.  By the way I upgraded from an 8.1Pro install.  I also have an entire clone disk of my pre-upgrade as insurance. 

All of my software works in both flight simulators.

There is no way to determine what will happen with the RTM build until it's released. The pre release builds can have stuff added for testing or disabled. Many features may not be fully implemented.

Even if the sims crashed and wouldn't run, it means absolutely nothing until the RTM build is out.

I hope there's a big plus for us but I wouldn't get excited either way.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Initial reports are OK here. Win10 build 10162 clean install, win10 353.30 nvidia drivers, Asus Maximus Hero win 10 beta drivers for chipset, audio, sata, and vga OK.

1) p3d install ok

2) orbx global,vector, openlc,centralv2 install OK

3) a2a ga fleet install OK.

4) ASN sp3 beta latest build install OK.

5) freemeshX 1.04 install OK.

6) mytraffic6 install OK.

7) plan-g install OK.

8) flysimware mu2 and c441 install OK.

9) realair turbine dukev2 install OK.

-backup config used, no changes.

-p3d and addons tested for basic function, no problems noted so far.

-in-depth testing and performance analysis commencing....

There is no way to determine what will happen with the RTM build until it's released

agreed, next build will be pre-release rtm.

I wont make the jump for a while yet but Mathis Kok over at the Aerosoft forums had some very poistive comments on Win 10, I think it was somhere about page 102 of the CRJ preview thread.  Claims he had no issue with it recognizing any of his software, good stability, and a performance increase.  Not that his endorsment is any more or less valid than any others or aplicable to yours or my hardware set up but, hey at least it seemed positive.

RE Thomason Jr.

Rule #1 in the flightsimming world: immediately discount any use of "x% increase/decrease in FPS."

I've rarely seen anyone run anything close to a scientific study--to the extent one is possible--regarding an addon, hardware change, OS change, etc.

Folks, please stop with the baseless claims unless you're willing and able to walk us through your methodolgies, setup, etc.

Instead of this post merely just channeling my Negative Nancy, let me at least be constructive:

1. Add the average FPS counter to your info bar.
  2. Save your test scenario (preferably in slew mode).
  3. Exit P3D (or FSX).
  4. Disable "show scenario start screen" in the sim's CFG file.
  5. Start P3D by opening your save file (you may need to associate FXML files with P3D).
  6. Note your average FPS after a couple of minutes of the sim sitting idle (perhaps while in slew). This is the Sim Performance Benchmark 101 method - a moving benchmark a la the 102 class is a bit more complicated. This is your baseline.
  7. Exit P3D.
  8. Now, conduct whatever test variable is at issue (installing new scenery, e.g. comparing stock YSSY with FT's, changing hardware, etc.).
  9. Reopen P3D again using your save file.
  10. Note FPS.
  11. And then, calculate the change (you can also accurately measure VAS with this method).

I haven't mentioned anything about measuring CPU-bound scenarios versus GPU-bound, using slew versus pause, etc. But then again, with me, you get what you pay for...

Testing with a beta OS is one thing, possibly, I repeat, possibly giving some kind of indication as to what we can expect with the RTM OS release, but again, maybe not.

It's a bit pointless, really, as beta's, by their nature, are exactly that!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I've been running Windows 10 for a few days now. I can't comment on whether its given me better performance in P3D, as I changed around some of my addons and settings too. It is possible that it helped however. We won't know without a more "scientific" apples to apples test.

The biggest difference for me is that my yoke no longer randomly disconnects like it did in Windows 8.1. My PC boots (marginally) faster, and its just a nicer interface, although that is subjective. I haven't had ANY problems at all with incompatibilities whatsoever. I highly recommend upgrading no matter what version of Windows you're currently running, but especially 8/8.1 users. If you're worried about stability on the preview, you could use the slow update cycle. I'm on the fast cycle and haven't had any issues. In any case, RTM is just around the corner, so it may be worth waiting for that if you're the super cautious type.

To update, I upgraded the disk with the clean install to 10162 and now my FSX-SE shows the same improvement as my upgrade.  Windows 10 is looking good. :P

My experience upgrading my system to Windows 10 build 10162 showed a marked improvement in FSX-SE and an improvement, although less, in P3D.  I am talking about 50% higher FPS in FSX-SE and about 25% in P3D.  Now this is changing nothing else in my setup which is the OS and most software on a Hybrid HD, P3D and FSX-SE each on an SSD.  All I did was the upgrade to my Hybrid drive with the Windows 10 upgrade.

I also did a test using another disk doing a clean install and then installing Steam with FSX-SE.  That actually showed a decrease of 10-20 % in FPS.

Guess it shows each experience will be different but the one thing I believe is Windows 10 will be an improvement of 7 and 8.1.  By the way I upgraded from an 8.1Pro install.  I also have an entire clone disk of my pre-upgrade as insurance. 

All of my software works in both flight simulators.

Folks, please stop with the baseless claims unless you're willing and able to walk us through your methodolgies, setup, etc.

These test, at least for me and anyone else interested, are not meant to further mythical performance claims. What I'm trying to do is simply test the programs we all use on a new Beta os for any up/down performance change and compatibility. You can believe them or not, but I'm simply sharing my experience for anyone else who is interested. It's not scientific, as I am an end user the same as anyone else. I believe any information about the new OS will be helpful and informative for anyone else who is attempting the same thing. That being said, my p3d install is now complete, and all the addons I listed in a previous post are operating normally. I notice no notable performance gains, but no degradation either. Ongoing process. So if you are one of the few going the early win10 install, I don't see any disadvantages so far. However I also don't see any ground breaking reason to update if you prefer a stable non-beta OS.

Windows 10 is looking good.

Quick update, one improvement I have notice that has stood out is my joystick no longer dissapears from my controls settings menu. I'd say that's at least one notable improvement over Windows 8.1.

And for me the sim runs better.  I use FSUIPC for my setting but tested the joystick without over a 4 hour flight and no disconnects.  I hope it stays that way.

As far as I can tell, everyone of those commenting on Win10 has started with a clean install of everything. I am not keen on doing this, since my computer is used for a lot of things.

Has anyone tried to update the OS without a complete reinstallation? How does P3D perform in that scenario?

Frans Kes