Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

First flight on the newest build of Windows 10...

As far as I can tell, everyone of those commenting on Win10 has started with a clean install of everything. I am not keen on doing this, since my computer is used for a lot of things.

Has anyone tried to update the OS without a complete reinstallation? How does P3D perform in that scenario?

Frans Kes

I am keen on the answer to this too!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

My experience upgrading my system to Windows 10 build 10162 showed a marked improvement in FSX-SE and an improvement, although less, in P3D.  I am talking about 50% higher FPS in FSX-SE and about 25% in P3D.  Now this is changing nothing else in my setup which is the OS and most software on a Hybrid HD, P3D and FSX-SE each on an SSD.  All I did was the upgrade to my Hybrid drive with the Windows 10 upgrade.

I also did a test using another disk doing a clean install and then installing Steam with FSX-SE.  That actually showed a decrease of 10-20 % in FPS.

I think that this post started out as an upgrade, then sounds like he did a clean install after that.

I'm sure once the rtm is pushed more people will be doing an upgrade vs. a clean install, reinstalling p3d and is mountain of addons took me a total of almost 3 days! Starting to wish I upgraded vs. Clean install.

As far as I can tell, everyone of those commenting

Frans Kes

I installed windows 10 using the latest build - same P3D install - I had a problem with changing aircraft P3D would just shut off no warning or messages - I did a new install so far so good - so that said I think a fresh install will be in order

Rich Sennett

Confirmed here that the vanishing controller is gone, done 10 cycles and all is good. Constant win 8.1 issue solved. Your mileage may vary. No further failures yet, and all addons working. Had a hard time getting the .dll registered for RC4, fixed with a quick regedit.

Agree OneWhoKnocks53 about the RC4 fix.  It was interesting fixing it though.

Confirmed here that the vanishing controller is gone, done 10 cycles and all is good. Constant win 8.1 issue solved. Your mileage may vary. No further failures yet, and all addons working. Had a hard time getting the .dll registered for RC4, fixed with a quick regedit.

Agreed, been using Windows 10 for about a year now in its various forms and no more disconnecting controller issues. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

My guess is that a new a fresh install cleanes up the mess, thus giving the impression of a better performing simulator. Happens everytime for me after a complete Win reinstall.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

+1 Agree totally!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I abhor the notion of an OS upgrade!!!

That being said, there are times when we have to be willing to bite the bullet with the understanding that while the operation may be painful, we will come out of it... happier than we were…

Always been that way, and will most likely, never change.

I would say that the preparation is key and in my case, creating back-ups of everything...so...now.... I have archives of old data, which were created with the intention of reviewing...at a later date of course... and culling the trash....

I admonish myself with a sarcastic sigh of "chhYeahhhhhh!.....like that's ever gonna happen..."

I end up with old data drives...still installed mind you, filled with programs and data that will probably never run or be looked at again....garage sale? Bonfire? Am I a hoarder?

...to the last, I say...welllll...why not? Spinning storage is cheap....search tools are getting more powerful. indeed why not!

...perhaps we should learn from the newly minted Librarians of the world who are indeed the modern world archivists...my next project...learning about just that...

Soooooooo...

...The real dilemma? Upgrade....am I gonna?....When?

Yeah, and ...after I see the Pain/Gain quotient here of course....what? I may be dumb, but I am not stupit.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I may be dumb, but I am not stupit

lmao

Rich Sennett

Microsoft took a very (forward looking) clever tact when designing Win 10 and all the supporting technologies like Visual Studio 2015 which has the new Roslyn compiler.  

Another piece of news is that both Win 10 and Office now use XAML for their UI's.  XAML is now how you do UI's.  If you are developing something new then you have to is to use it yourself.

All of this and still MS is aggressive in the cloud with Azure.

Also, MS just let go of a pack of mobile devs because with the new platform, now any dev can do mobile because the Universal Application architecture supports any device.

Good stuff

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

My guess is that a new a fresh install cleanes up the mess, thus giving the impression of a better performing simulator. Happens everytime for me after a complete Win reinstall.

I agree. However in my case my win 8.1 install was only 3 months old before I cleaned house. So, my final word on Win10 and P3d.... After 2 days of testing, everything is just OK. I'll carry on until win10 is rtm, but I had no problems at all that didn't have a known solution. My performance did not go up or down, but my joystick doesn't vanish. My opinion? Wait for the rtm. I think that windows 10 works just fine, but so did 8.1. No performance increase here. Just my 2¢.

Microsoft took a very (forward looking) clever tact when designing Win 10 and all the supporting technologies like Visual Studio 2015 which has the new Roslyn compiler.  

Another piece of news is that both Win 10 and Office now use XAML for their UI's.  XAML is now how you do UI's.  If you are developing something new then you have to is to use it yourself.

All of this and still MS is aggressive in the cloud with Azure.

Also, MS just let go of a pack of mobile devs because with the new platform, now any dev can do mobile because the Universal Application architecture supports any device.

Good stuff

Regards

jja

As developer as well, I see a lot of potential with the new Universal Application architecture. It looks pretty cool. I haven't tried the APIs but we could do things like make applications that would have universal code and be able to provide good experianece from desktops down to phones. All while only requiring the end user to purchase one copy. I think it's quite cool if developers start developing apps or porting existing ones.

Methinks a fresh OS install & a fresh sim install will always perform better.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

A clean install of any OS, will always result in better performance on a PC....Always. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310