Sign in to follow this  
hohenaus000

Running FSX as Administrator

The most likely cause is having User Account Controlled turned off. With UAC set to off there is no need for the option to run as administrator.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Not sure that's the cause as I have UAC turned on and it's still grayed out on the desktop shortcut for me. However, it's not a problem as I use a batch file which itself runs as administrator then starts things like ASN before starting FSX. Anything started by the batch file is then automatically run as administrator.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Nothing in FSX or related to FSX needs to be run As Administrator unless you have a unique situation.

I found I do to get EZdok to work. It just will not work unless I run FSX as Administrator. I put that down to a W8 issue, but since it works with doing that, I don't look any further

All of our products require FSX as an administrator with UAC turned off.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

I have hardly ever switched UAC off (on three rare occasions for installations of addons, but never for running the sim and its addons), and my sim, including all addons and the MV B732 works nicely.

Though it may work, it is not recommended for our products.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Why/

The reason is that some, if not all, of our products require clean and free access to the FSX.exe module as well as other parts of the FSX systems.  Without that access, we are unable to process the higher end (and cool) parts of our products.

This is why it is recommended for all but required for most.  As far as which ones, better to go with all...

The most likely cause is having User Account Controlled turned off. With UAC set to off there is no need for the option to run as administrator.

Doug

Ok, so here are 2 conflicting statements.

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether or not Run As Administrator with UAC off has any benefit or is different in ANY way?

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe that running with UAC off doesn't necessarily mean that you're running as an admin.

And certainly not vice-versa...

Running an application as an administrator and running an application from the admin account are two different things, no matter whether UAC is on or off:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

The UAC setting controls whether a UAC prompt will be triggered or not because of a required change in privileges.