Sign in to follow this  
ark

Fix for the CRJ-700 Fix?

The crj_700_gauge_fixes.zip file (in the AVSIM library) by Alexander Barthel is really a great improvement to the default CRJ-700.

The one problem I've noticed with this fix is the TAS readout on the MFD is wrong -- often reads less than the IAS or ground speed even in a no wind situation.

Does anyone happen to know of a TAS fix for this particular CRJ-700 fix?

Thx,

Al

Looks like it uses (in mfd.xml):

(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots)

The docs seem to say this will show IAS if you have chosen to show IAS instead of True in your Realism Settings.

Maybe try changing it to:

(A:Airspeed True,knots)

Barry Friedman

Barry,

Thanks very much for the response.

I looked at the mfd.xml file I have last night and I think it already is set to (A:Airspeed True, knots), but will double check. I believe XML files are case sensitive, so maybe there is a case problem like True vs true, etc).  To make any changes I will also need to figure out how to modify a file that is in a cab folder.  :huh: 

Where can I find the docs you referred to above?

Thanks,

Al

To make any changes I will also need to figure out how to modify a file that is in a cab folder.

I use 7zip (it's free) to unpack the cab folder to edit the files. For testing it's best to just leave the edited folder unpacked, I believe that FSX will use the folder in preference to the cab file. If you like, you can later use cabdir from the SDK to re-pack the edited folder into a cab file.

Where can I find the docs you referred to above?

Sim vars are here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526981.aspx

Sim vars in xml code are not case sensitive, per this doc: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526953.aspx

"Simulation variables are not case-sensitive, they can be all upper, all lower or a mix of upper and lower case in your scripts"

I like Notepad++ for XML editing.

I'm not an expert in gauge programming, so hopefully if I got something wrong an expert will chime in.  :lol:

Barry Friedman

I also use Notepad++ and 7zip, but didn't know I could leave the cab file unpacked for testing -- good to know.

Thanks for the links.

If I figure out how to fix the TAS error I'll post back here.

Al

Maybe try changing it to:
(A:Airspeed True,knots)

Well unfortunately, the mfd.xml file already says (A:Airspeed True,knots), so I'm back to square one.  Interestingly, if I display the TAS using the Shift+Z command, the value is correct. The incorrect TAS value on the MFD display seems to be the IAS. What I don't understand is where the MFD TAS value comes from.

Al

Odd, I re-downloaded the zip file  (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=crj_700_gauge_fixes.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search), unpacked it and looked up where it displays TAS in mfd.xml and it does not use A:Airspeed in that file. Had you changed it before?

Here are all the hits I got from searching the xml code for a:airspeed (case-insensitive):

autopilot.xml:115:                    (A:AIRSPEED MACH, number) (>L:Mach Selected, number)</Script> -->
autopilot.xml:543:				    (A:AIRSPEED MACH, number) (>L:Mach Selected, number) 
backup_pfd.xml:161:						<Script>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true:2, knots)</Script>
mfd.xml:832:					<GaugeString>%((A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots))%!3d!</GaugeString>
pfd.xml:163:                        <Script>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true, knots)</Script>
pfd.xml:189:                            <Script>(A:Airspeed barber pole, knots) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true, knots) - 15 +</Script>
pfd.xml:207:                            <Script>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true, knots) (A:Design Speed VS0, knots) - 18 +</Script>
pfd.xml:250:                            (A:Airspeed select indicated or true, knots) (A:Autopilot airspeed hold var, knots)  - } 
pfd.xml:251:                            els{ (A:Airspeed select indicated or true, knots)
pfd.xml:252:                            (A:Airspeed indicated, knots) (A:Airspeed Mach, mach) / 
pfd.xml:792:                <Visibility>(A:Airspeed Mach,number) 0.45 ></Visibility>
pfd.xml:799:                    <GaugeString>M%((A:Airspeed Mach,number))%!3.2f!

Or maybe (A:Airspeed True,knots) is not working right and it ends up displaying IAS.  :unsure:

Barry Friedman

Or maybe (A:Airspeed True,knots) is not working right and it ends up displaying IAS. :unsure:

Actually, it is working...now!  You were correct all along.  I just had to sort through the collection of CRJ-700 "fixes" and associated mfd.xml files I had, and learn how to work with the CAB files.

So all is working well now, and the "fix to the fix" was to change

<GaugeString>%((A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots))%!3d!</GaugeString>  to just

<GaugeString>%((A:Airspeed True,knots))%!3d!</GaugeString> in the appropriate mfd.xml file.

Thanks very much for your persistant help -- greatly appreciated!

Al