Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Best cumulonimbus textures?

Hi, what are a present the best cloud textures package that render cumulonimbus clouds as close to reality as possible in FSX? I tried a few but I can't get those scary huge clouds formations hosting big thunderstorms.

Thanks.

James Goggi

I think it needs to be not just your textures for the clouds, but also the weather engine that produces them.

I personally go for Rex4 and Rex Essentials + Overdrive for the weather, but I'm sure others will pop in with their recommendations.

For me, if I want a really stormy looking area, I use Rex Weather.  Active Sky is my default otherwise.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I use ASN and REX 4, too, but never see those huge CB areas. At times I get lightnings coming from small cumulus clouds...

I would like to see something at least close to this:

643572.JPG

James Goggi

Well you might be able to create them using manual weather, but with fps in the single digit. Plus it's not just about the visible weather, such clouds are the ones that generate huge convection, turbulence and wind shear. That level of complexity would also tank the frames, assuming the weather engine could even create such complex currents!

Not going to happen.

:lol:  

I use Rex Texure and Active sky next as well, very happy with it, plug and play.  

I use ASN and REX 4, too, but never see those huge CB areas. At times I get lightnings coming from small cumulus clouds...

I would like to see something at least close to this:

643572.JPG

That would be sweeeet!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm happy with what I see out the window with REX4 & ASN. Here are some pics of today's approach into KMCO:

1a5d4a.jpg
2ee186.jpg
4fafaf.jpg
637bd7.jpg
36fbbc.jpg
56d675.jpg
71c171.jpg
8e6fc0.jpg

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.