It's a new socket, so yes, a new board is required. Socket 1151. Z170 chipset.

Some vendors have already shown off their boards.

http://wccftech.com/asrock-unveils-lga-1151-socketed-motherboard-featuring-support-6th-generation-skylake-processors/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/evga-shows-off-z170-series-motherboards-ahead-of-intel-skylake-release/

Hopefully with the voltage regulators not on the chip they might be more thermally efficient than you think.

It's a new socket, so yes, a new board is required. Socket 1151. Z170 chipset.

You'll also need new memory (DDR-4 instead of DDR-3).

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Some mb's on the new chipset allow ddr3; which may even be faster as the initial ddr4 sticks maybe not the best; they will improve in quality and selection 6-12 months from release of SL when ddr4 becomes more mainstream.

Hopefully with the voltage regulators not on the chip they might be more thermally efficient than you think.

Lets hope; if they oc to 4.6 then they may make some decent headroom with their ipc advantage!

Simon

If you google the full set of leaked specs mentioned in that clip, you'll find that Skylake does dramatically better in some tests, but shows a much smaller improvement (or, in a few cases, even worse performance) than Devil's Canyon in others.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/84626-intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-flagship-cpu-benchmarks-surface/

I also note that Barron's, in reviewing Intel's 2Q results, is now predicting that manufacturing issues will cause Skylake will be delayed to 4Q at the earliest, although Intel hasn't said anything about a delay.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

The percentages just don't impress me these days. As far as I am concerned, there is little incentive for even i5 2500k owners to upgrade if they have healthy overclocks and stable systems. You can talk about DDR4 RAM and fancy new chipsets all day, but I still say that the processor manufacturing industry is at a virtual standstill, and has been for quite some time. In fact, the Intel Sandybridge line was probably the last processor iteration that even comes close to "revolutionary" status. Everything since then has been evolutionary at best. My i5 4690k powered system is only a year old, and yet it feels more like a "warranty replacement" for my failed i5 2500k PC (purchased back in 2011) rather than a big leap forward in processing power.

Not that it matters to me. If CPU performance continues to rise at its current rate, I will not have to think about another system upgrade for several years :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The percentages just don't impress me these days. As far as I am concerned, there is little incentive for even i5 2500k owners to upgrade if they have healthy overclocks and stable systems. You can talk about DDR4 RAM and fancy new chipsets all day, but I still say that the processor manufacturing industry is at a virtual standstill, and has been for quite some time. In fact, the Intel Sandybridge line was probably the last processor iteration that even comes close to "revolutionary" status. Everything since then has been evolutionary at best. My i5 4690k powered system is only a year old, and yet it feels more like a "warranty replacement" for my failed i5 2500k PC (purchased back in 2011) rather than a big leap forward in processing power.

Not that it matters to me. If CPU performance continues to rise at its current rate for the next few years, my i5 4690k will be a decent performer for some time to come :smile:

I agree with you on all of that.  Will keep on dusting and cleaning my processor and mb for some time to come.  I will keep my eyes abreast on how skylake oc just to keep my techie side at bay! :)

Simon

Unless one needs lots of processor threads there has been no CPU improvement worth getting excited about for years now.  ShouId Skylake buck that trend I'll be thoroughly suprised and delighted. It's almost sad that my two years old 4.5ghz 4770k system is still 'top shelf' perfomance wise in the quad core arena.  Even more sad is that the conroe i5 laptop I got over 5 years ago is still worthy; I wonder if it will instantly flunk the Win10 "free for lifetime" test :lol:.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

If you google the full set of leaked specs mentioned in that clip, you'll find that Skylake does dramatically better in some tests, but shows a much smaller improvement (or, in a few cases, even worse performance) than Devil's Canyon in others.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/84626-intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-flagship-cpu-benchmarks-surface/

I also note that Barron's, in reviewing Intel's 2Q results, is now predicting that manufacturing issues will cause Skylake will be delayed to 4Q at the earliest, although Intel hasn't said anything about a delay.

Intel have announced that they have postponed the switch to 10nm due to technical fabrication issues. Intel say they will instead extract more speed from 14nm. They don't say how they will do that.

As for the Skylake benchmarks, yes, some are high some are lower. so perhaps we need to consider which one of those benchmarks [if any] are applicable to performance for we gamers?

Not that it matters to me. If CPU performance continues to rise at its current rate, I will not have to think about another system upgrade for several years :smile:

More's law is under threat.

First it was performance doubling every 12 months, then 18 months then two years. Now, with the delay to Cannonlake 10nm, it's the second time the 2 year cycle has failed.

Intel say the delay to Cannonlake is caused by the increasing difficulty of building transistors that small.

To address the lack of chips in the pipeline, Intel say they will release Kabylake 14nm chips. based on Skylake. Kabylake will be tweaked and faster Skylake I believe.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/16/intel-skylake-chips-delayed/

Moore's Law was thrown in the garbage bin at least five years ago :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I read this morning that it is crappy tim not solder. Not 100% verified yet though.

Of course that would costs them an extra 33 cents per chip to remedy.

No way they going to part with those pennies !

Moore's Law was thrown in the garbage bin at least five years ago :smile:

that's a result of applying  Murphy's Law to Moore's law