Sign in to follow this  
hilly32

Correct Procedure for ATC SID overides

When flying a SID that has altitude or speed restrictions (I often fly out of EGLL on BPK/BUZAD/CPT), I was wondering what the correct SOP for ATC instructed commands are. For example, CPT out of EGLL has 6000 feet restriction at Compton that ATC will often allow you to exceed. I see two options in the 777:

1: Select the cleared altitude in the MCP and select FLCH to fly to it until you are passed CPT and then resume VNAV.

2: Remove the restriction in the CDU LEGS page and execute it to remain in VNAV but allow the climb.

Either seems to work, I was just wondering which is the real world procedure, or is there another procedure I can't see that is actually used?

Regards

Andrew Hill

Hello,

Just enter a higher altitude in the box on the MCP and press the altitude button, it will cancel the altitude restriction and you remain in VNAV mode. It  also does following the same principle while in descent.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

1: Select the cleared altitude in the MCP and select FLCH to fly to it until you are passed CPT and then resume VNAV.

More work than necessary. See Romain's post, above. I believe this is discussed in Tutorial #1, but I could be getting it confused with the NGX Tutorial #2.

2: Remove the restriction in the CDU LEGS page and execute it to remain in VNAV but allow the climb.

Also an option, but not as ideal.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you for the help, I tried this tonight on a CPT3F out of EGLL. I decided to give myself a FL240 clearance  soon after takeoff. I set the MCP FL240 and hit the altitude button. That cleared the first restriction, (There are three out of CPT3F, 3K above, 4K above and then  6K at CPT), hitting the altitude a further two times cleared the remaining two restrictions and I stayed in VNAV. This looked good to me, but wanted to check this was still what was expected.

Andrew Hill

Exactly -- each press of ALT clears the next restriction.

To be specific it's the ALT INTV button. Or maybe that's only on the 737

Dave

Dave Paige

To be specific it's the ALT INTV button. Or maybe that's only on the 737

Separate button on the NG. Combined with the MCP ALT wheel on the 777.

Kyle Rodgers