I recently got myself a TrackIR 5, but I notice that when using it, the housing is getting very hot. The back more than the front, at the position oft he chip, is the center of the heat spot. It's at the threshold not being able to touch the surface.

I asked about this at Naturalpoint, but as this was an extra question along side another support request, it seems that handling two questions at the same time is a little too much and after several exchanges of mail, I had no response to my heat question.

I'm a little worried about what could happen, to the trackIR as well to the equipment it's attached to, so I would appreciate it if someone could check if they same happens with their TrackIR.

If it runs for 15-20mins, is the housing getting hot? And I dont mean warm, I mean really hot.

Cheers!

Maarten

Yes it gets hot, the earlier versions 3 & 4 both died on me and I suspect the heat was a factor.

Version 5 seems to manage its power better, it definitely cools down when not actively tracking the leds. I was also only using the passive hat clip with V3 and 4 which probably caused them to use a bit more power.

Version 5 has been the longest lasting of the three I have owned, looking at my email records I ordered it from RC Simulations on the 13-sept-2009 so you should have no need to worry about longevity.