Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

SHE HAS ARRIVED - Flight Deck Solutions B737NG

I'm jealous and also delighted that you're living  a dream...looking forward to photos when ready.

My only dilemma would be a 737 sim would be more suited for short trips which is what my limited free time would allow while I've have had a life long love affair with the "Queen" ever since I saw the my first one for Qantas turn up at YMML and the passion for her still burns long, :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Holly Crap !!!......Lots a fun ahead...Congratulations Mike!

You can do some nice LA-Hawaii runs, and SEA-TAC Hawaii runs as well :), Load up a BBJ profile and you are off to Europe from the East Coast of the US.

I would be all over doing lot's of United Shuttle runs on the west coast.

Mike if you need a FO I am only 2.5 hours away looking forward to construction photos.

You can do some nice LA-Hawaii runs, and SEA-TAC Hawaii runs as well :), Load up a BBJ profile and you are off to Europe from the East Coast of the US.

I would be all over doing lot's of United Shuttle runs on the west coast.

Mike if you need a FO I am only 2.5 hours away looking forward to construction photos.

United!? You mean Hawaiian!

No for west cost runs I am meaning doing the old United Shuttle runs from LAX, SFO, and DEN that is what I love to fly (DEN-LAS-LAX-PHX-LAX-LAS/SFO-RNO-DEN-LAS) runs like this make for a fun and long day in the office :)

The other from the mainland to Hawaii I was referring to some longer legs 4-6 hours.

How does the audio setup work in something like this?  Is it a surround type setup with engine sounds coming from the back, fans/wind from the front??  Also, what soundset would even be used for this??

I'm jealous and also delighted that you're living  a dream...looking forward to photos when ready.

My only dilemma would be a 737 sim would be more suited for short trips which is what my limited free time would allow while I've have had a life long love affair with the "Queen" ever since I saw the my first one for Qantas turn up at YMML and the passion for her still burns long, :)

Take a look at Aerowinx Precision Simulator which is an excellent 747 simulator. 

If I was building a 737 (which I previously was) IMHO -- I would go with Prosim737.

747 - Go with Aerowinx 

I'm building an Airbus, and I'm using the excellent free Jeehell FMGS ;)

Hi OmniAtlas,

Great minds think alike, I actually have 1.2, 1.3 and bought PSX when it was released in Australia.

Having a home 737 cockpit would be a dream come true for me. Hopefully one day I'll be in a position to get one for myself. In the meantime, you could recuperate some of the expenses by giving the neighborhood kids some cheap lessons  ^_^. Please upload more pics as you are able!

Hi OmniAtlas,

Great minds think alike, I actually have 1.2, 1.3 and bought PSX when it was released in Australia.

Hi Albert, have you visited M. Shiel's simulator? He introduced me to the software. He has a motion built 747 -- http://www.hyway.com.au/747/

Would have loved to build a 737 or 747, but you really need engineering expertise to get the dual link yokes done right. Decided to build an airbus because of the flybywire system :) 

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little beat up right now, but I will get a ton of photos online asap. For those of you that have access to facebook, here is a link. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.887706917976191.1073741839.132045726875651&type=3

Hi,

I am running a pair of Bose speakers that are behind the Dual Seat Trainer inside the shell that sit on a shelf, they are for flight deck sounds (wind,wipers,TCAS,GPWS and what-not). I also run Logitech Z-906 Surround Sound for cabin sounds, gear, flaps, crew announcements and so-on.

How does the audio setup work in something like this?  Is it a surround type setup with engine sounds coming from the back, fans/wind from the front??  Also, what soundset would even be used for this??

OMG - Need to charge admission with that beast - new business for you :)

Mike,

For our early training we did many sessions on a fixed base, actually a full flight sim with the motion off- they charge less if you don't use it! I was able to fly it around with no problems and to be honest if you are smooth and accurate, the motion is not noticeable except for take off and landing. I pride myself on being a smooth operator, so if the stop margins are good I tend to bring power up fully without the AT then engage it, and also use AB2 and idle reverse if landing distance is ok to keep it smooth and gentle. I regularly get VGTD figures of 1.21 or less so....

Perhaps I should be flying BBJs instead.

Anyway, the point is that lack of motion will not make it much less fun and I wouldn't spend a fortune or effort to get the motion running either.

If you need F/Os then I'm sure there's a queue forming......It is s two man aircraft, so you Wife is best bet to enable you to spend quality time together... 

All the best and I hope it gives you the pleasure and release of your problems that you desire. (Will FDS be getting the EROS masks plumbed in? In your case it could be ideal!).... 

so jealous.   Wonder if you could post some pictures now even if you are partially constructed?    Would be interesting to see!

Saw the Facebook post! WOW!!!!!!!! They do amazing work. Rest up and start playing with that bad boy!

Hi Guys,

I have 60 shots I placed online, taken from a six day video capture of the build... Here is the link at AVSIM: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/472163-flight-deck-build-video-captures/#entry3274023

Mike

Hi Mark,

What are the differences between Prosim737 and Sim-Avionics?. How long ago was this build?. What makes Prosim 737 so great in your opinion?, I've tried both and I know the reasons why I picked Sim-Avionics over Prosim. Would like to know why (in particular) you prefer Prosim737?.

I am feeling better and will get some videos online soon, just setting up video equipment.

Take a look at Aerowinx Precision Simulator which is an excellent 747 simulator. 

If I was building a 737 (which I previously was) IMHO -- I would go with Prosim737.

747 - Go with Aerowinx 

I'm building an Airbus, and I'm using the excellent free Jeehell FMGS ;)

Hi Jim,

Yep, it took long enough, but the garage is finally mine... Until we add a room to the house. 8-)

Well, Mike, I see you won the battle for the gararge we discussed long ago! :lol:

Best,

Jim Harnes

Hi,

I was in a no space boat myself for many years and it still took three years after moving to Boca. 8-)

That's amazing setup right there! Would love to own something like that, perhaps some day if when I've got enough cash and space for it. 

Hi,

It took many years, a realization that this was not some passing (Been simming since 1985 and still have the original book 5 1/4" floppy disc) phase, and a promise from my wife that the garage was going to be mine for the flight deck if we moved to Florida. I got the OK up front, THEN we moved. 8-) 8-) 8-)

When you get a moment I'd love any tips on how you convinced your significant other. Congrats!

Hi,

Yep, with a 220* wrap around screen those that have motion sickness issues may have a problem with the sim. Even without motion, you feel like you're moving. I know this first hand, I was in my friends sim and he has a 200* wrap and when we left the gate, I actually grabbed the seat because I thought I was moving. 8-)

This actually brings up something I had been wondering about regarding this type of static sim setup.  Would it not cause some motion sickness issues since the visuals are not matching the inner ear signals?  I occasionally feel off-kilter just using a single monitor in a dark room during a turn!   

I actually grabbed the seat because I thought I was moving. 8-)

How cool is that :)

Where is a link to this 220" wrap around would be cool to see it - thanks Mike

Hi,

I have one pic from the wrap, I'll upload it ASAP.

Update: Took my oxygen tank off to get in the sim, didn't want to scratch/break anything. This is the next step, the 220* wrap around.

AGFD.jpg

Gorgeous setup Mike!  I wish you many hours of enjoyment and thank you for your sacrifice.  You are a true hero.

That FDS came in and set things up means you'll be spending a lot more time flying and a lot less time tinkering!  Pete, Steve, and the rest of the team there are the best in the sim hardware market in my mind and fully stand behind their products doing whatever it takes to ensure you are happy with your purchase (I learned that firsthand).  Love my FDS 737 MIP components and will continue expanding with more of their stuff when I can well into the future.

I'll chime in a little on the Sim-A versus ProSim discussion.   While I'm not going to go into all the reasons why I ended up not going with Sim-A, the main reason is that I could never get Sim-A to work right across my networked setup and after many frustrating hours of trial and error and going back and forth with the developer I finally gave up.  That's not to say it isn't a good product.  It just wasn't a good fit for me at the time (keep in mind this is two years ago now).

With ProSim, I was able to get fully up and running in 20 minutes with minimal frustration and no help.  I also found it more easily expandable, more intuitive, and the support community to be much larger.   I also like the dedicated ProSim flight model which ties perfectly with the avionics software.  And the frequency and ease of updates is nice as well.  The cost was also significantly less for the complete suite.

Again, this is all my personal experience.  Mileage may vary.  The good thing is they both offer trials and buyers should definitely try both and decide for themselves what they prefer.

Now, when PMDG releases their cockpit version, I will also be one of the first in line for it.  Their reputation for quality and detail guarantees an awesome and accurate product and the fact they are working with FDS is the icing on the cake!

Hi,

That one line statement says everything:

Now, when PMDG releases their cockpit version, I will also be one of the first in line for it.  Their reputation for quality and detail guarantees an awesome and accurate product and the fact they are working with FDS is the icing on the cake!

That in-and-of-itself put me on the fast track to Sim-Avionics, although with Steve here there were no internet issues.

I'm sure having Steve and his experience there made a world of difference.

Hey, how are you liking the NatVIS setup?  I'm thinking about contacting Nat in the future for some help with my wraparound visuals.

I think one of the advantages of sim avionics is the compatability with xplane 10.

Mike...wishing you and your wife (First Officer) many happy hours of flying in this incredible sim!  Looking forward to seeing some videos when you get the chance.

Cheers

Martin