Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Fltplan Go app for iPad - Way Cool!

So I posted about this in an older topic about it last night. That older topic was from 02/2015. Back then members here appeared to be having little luck getting it connected and to work.  I tried last night and after a few tenacious tries got it to work. So if you create a flight plan in FSX, with the App and with a simple .exe program for the PC, you can connect with the Fltplan App and get what I thought was going to be a simple "follow yourself along your route on your iPad".  I tried it again today and have to say I was astounded at all you can do with this app after a learning curve.  I have used the Fltplan.com web site for my FSX flight planning since about 2010, so my learning curve was pretty short.

Here is what it looks like on the iPad when the app is tracking your progress along your route.  The Blue line is the route of your flight plan, the Green line is the app tracking your real time progress along your route. (these are all large images so you may need to click on them to see edge to edge, and there are more below so keep scrolling)

img_0036_std-XL.jpg

But after creating my flight plan at Fltplan.com today. Starting FSX and creating the same flight plan there. Alt-Tab back to my PC desktop, starting the FltPlanGo_FSX.exe program on my PC and telling it to connect to FSX, then Alt-Tab back to FSX, and finally starting the Fltplan Go app on my iPad, I selected the Map page in the app and there was the aircraft icon representing my aircraft, positioned at my departure airport.

OK. So what? Follow the Green line on an iPad while you fly! What's so great about that?  Well, messing around in the app here is what else I found"

While flying, with the app you can access you departure and destination airports:

img_0033_std-XL.jpg

Where you can do things like look at the current weather and terminal forecasts. Helps you know if you will need an instrument approach and gives you a good idea of which runway will be active.

img_0032_std-XL.jpg

And you can also pull up your approach charts, and zoom in on them. Or pull up the airport diagram to guide your post landing taxi. Plus access many other airport features. This is how the iPad works with flying in the real world!

img_0034_std-XL.jpg

But Wait! There's More! Look at this example of what else you can do with the route map!

img_0037_std-XL.jpg

You can add real time weather elements to the moving map. In the map above I added weather radar, surface conditions (weather fronts), and winds aloft at my altitude. The winds and wind direction are shown as the colored arrows, and the app contains a color scale that translates the colors into wind speed brackets.

And finally, just so you know it is actually following you in your FSX flight, look at this last iPad screen capture. The weather changed the active runway at my destination, so that forced me to divert from my plan near the end of my flight. In this image you can see how the line tracking my FSX flight (green line)  separated from my original flight plan (blue line).

img_0038_std-XL.jpg

The iPad was connected through the Fltplan Go app to my home wireless network.  i.e. no cabling. The FltPlanGo_FSX.exe program on my PC connected FSX to the Fltplan Go app, evidently through the Fltplan.com web site.

It worked! And it provides a lot that I did not anticipate!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I do the EXACT same thing you do with this App and its amazing! I love everything about it and its Coverage of the USA/Canada is great, wish they could have something like this for Europe thats free as well. 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I just discovered this app two days ago. It is a great addition.

- Bill Magann

Thanks for posting. Just grabbed it for my Android Tablet as well. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Wonder if I could get it to work on my Kindle Fire HD. Looks very cool. I already use Aivlasim's EFB on a 2nd computer, and this would let me be more portable.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Wonder if I could get it to work on my Kindle Fire HD. Looks very cool. I already use Aivlasim's EFB on a 2nd computer, and this would let me be more portable.

I switched from 2 PC's to just PC + iPad and I'll never go back its so much easier this way .

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

So in reviewing my flights of the last two days and perusing the information on the FltPlan.com website, it becomes obvious that the FltPlan Go app I am using is the same app that RW pilots are using. While they are "connecting" to actual RW GPS, the FltPlan Go app when used with FSX is using the FltPlanGo_FSX.exe PC program to instead attach to and follow FSX. Other than that one difference, the FltPlan Go App for the iPad acts with FSX as it does for RW aviation. Love It! What a realistic enhancement to flight simulaton!

I have to add that I have no idea whatsoever how this works with P3D or Steam.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This looks like is a really good app. I'll be downloading to my iPad. Thanks.

How the heck can you make a FP on Fltplan.com. Geez i tried but all the info they want. Is there a simple way of just filling out a FP. My problem is in the Ipad app. it shows me at the correct airport on the map, but the flight plan is completely different than i have made in FSX. not even the same DEP and ARR airports

Well, after great success the other day I am now having trouble connecting. Tried all sorts of sequences of do this first, then that to try to get the Fltplan Go app to recognize the airport I was at and start tracking, but on the map the aircraft icon is at my home and won't move.  I have "Allow GPS in the background" off under Settings. Actually, I have tried it both ways.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Well, after great success the other day I am now having trouble connecting. Tried all sorts of sequences of do this first, then that to try to get the Fltplan Go app to recognize the airport I was at and start tracking, but on the map the aircraft icon is at my home and won't move.  I have "Allow GPS in the background" off under Settings. Actually, I have tried it both ways.

Go to Settings on your iPad and scroll down on the left side until you see "FltPlan Go" and make sure Location is set to Never.  That way the app will never display your current real world location.  Then start the FltPlan Go app.  It should start up with a notice saying that you have "Location Disabled".  Then select Settings on the left ribbon and make sure "Allow GPS in background" is off.  Then select Maps from the ribbon and then select "Map Options" and make sure "Enable FSX Sim GPS is checked.

Don't forget that you must also run FltPlanGo_FSX.exe to actually make the connection.

Same here. I even go to the "tracking" tab and nothing shows up

You want to select "Maps" from the ribbon and then Map Options and also select Layers for the type of map.  The Tracking tab is for tracking real world aircraft by registration number.  Similar to FlightAware.

Can I run this on a networked lap top pc?

No. Only on an ipad.

Eddie
KABQ