Sign in to follow this  
Guest freequest

GA type magazines...

Guest freequest

I everyone been a while since i posted but i need some info..I would like to get hold of a monthly GA magazine wone that has avation stories good infomation articles and aircraft tech type knowledge...Im in australia so one based in australia would be great but a US one would be just as good so if anyone has any recomendation please feel free to let me know...Thanks a lot :)

Guest ThrottleUp

Theres a ton of them but like you said some tend to have a little more technical info than others."Pilot" - an excellent British GA mag with gobs of stories. The accident reports make for very compelling reading and are extremely detailed. The aircraft reviews are also excellent. You will keep coming back to this one. "Flying" - a great American magazine. While it is mainly a GA mag it does contain news and stories about all types of planes. So you can read a review on a Cessna 172 on one page and on the next they are talking about an Airbus A340-600. The best section in this magazine is the "I Learned About Flying From That" which are true-life stories of flying gone wrong - written by the pilots who lived to tell the tale. Moral: Learn from others mistakes.In my opinion these are the two best...there are tons of other good ones (like "Private Pilot") but some of them are just not worth the money because they contain so little. Theres some GA mags that you can fold and put in your pocket!My advice: check those two out and read the rest of em at the bookstore and library! :)

Guest Super 27

I'm in the US, so obviously I can't say anything about magazines in Australia, but if you're looking for a US magazine I subscribe to both "Flying" and "Plane & Pilot", with Plane & Pilot being my favorite of the two. If you're looking for technical info, they do a lot of aircraft reports as well. I think you can get some sample articles and info at http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/.-Marc

Guest ba747heavy

I subcribe to Flying and Private Pilot and PP is by far my favorite of the two.

Private Pilot.Out of all the others I have subscribed to (AOPA Pilot, Flying, and Plane and Pilot.) Only Private Pilot and AOPA Pilot still come. (AOPA magazine comes with membership, so thats not cancelling for a while even though its a pretty good magazine.) Customer service for Private Pilot was just above and beyond when I had received a crumbled up issue. The magazine was all torn apart and in a plastic bag and a note was inside from the postmaster that stated there was some sort of malfunction(Great!). Later that night we called Private Pilot and immediately the editor, Bill Fedorko, picked up and answered our request for a new one very politely and in no rush at all. We had a pleasant conversation about the magazine after that. About a week later there was a large paper envelope in my mailbox. Inside all the paper and bubble wrap was not one, but two magazines in perfect condition.A++ Service. Customers for life.

I would vote for FLYING as the best magazine. I think it has the best writers and most interesting stories. For example the feature section "Aftermath" is extremly educational as it picks apart some well selected airplane crashes. I think I am a better pilot just because I read every "Aftermath". "Technicalities" is also superbly educational.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest freequest

WOW thank you guys... for all the help i think what i will do is take all your suggestions and get one of each magazine then i will decide which ones will appeal to me..And Again thanks a lot for putting a reply to my question :)

Guest Tim757

One of the hidden magazines that are free to those in the industry but hefty subscription to those who aren't is "Professional Pilot" magazine (google it). It has some of its articles on-line on various corp flight department topics and flying techniques.Tim757

Guest freequest

thanks Tim ill write that down as well as serach for it on the net...