Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Question about Framerates.

With all of my sceneries in, and max on most things I get about 15 FPS in LA, where I am doing my testing. It feels more like 20 FPS to be honest. Now I did over clock my PC, and was wondering if over clocking would improve performance but not the FPS?

15 fps to me is a clear indication that your system is in overload mode.

My advice would be to reduce your FSX settings until you can produce a steady 30 fps.

Overclocking does improve performance = fps.. but any system can be overloaded by choosing "all of my sceneries + max on most things"..

Bert

With all of my sceneries in, and max on most things I get about 15 FPS in LA, where I am doing my testing. It feels more like 20 FPS to be honest. Now I did over clock my PC, and was wondering if over clocking would improve performance but not the FPS?

Don't get locked up in FPS with FSX, I have had low frame rates run very smooth. FSX does not care about FPS, it cares about fluidity. 

My advice would be to reduce your FSX settings until you can produce a steady 30 fps.

Overclocking does improve performance = fps.. but any system can be overloaded by choosing "all of my sceneries + max on most things"..

I don't plan on running like this the whole time, it is just what I am testing to find out how far I can take it. I was curious to see what everything would do on the new build. I plan on keeping some settings on max but not all. Like airport vehichles, I don't really see the need for them. Cars will aslo be dropped way down. I do want draw distance for clouds and scenery as far as I can take it without it being too slow.

I wouldn't say that exactly.

Having 15fps with settings on MAX, especially at LA, sounds like a dream to me, and I bet if you reduce these setting to mid levels, you want double your FPS to 30, that sounds too good to be true.

My advice is to fly with the settings as high as you can as long as the frames are good enough for you.  Some people can fly with 15, some will want at least 20, some more.  Best is to turn OFF the FPS counter and use you own judgement on when you think the games runs smooth enough for you.

The only this you should watch is that you don't run into out of memory problems, as long as your simulation doesn't crash to the deskstop with a message saying your game is out of memory (from running max settings for a long time) then I wouldn't worry about that either!

Overclocking the CPU will help to increase the frames for sure.

-Iain Watson-

I run fsx on about 10/12 fps with good fluidity, with an old rig. No overclocking whatsoever.  No problems at all.

Don't get hung up on frame rates, focus on smooth image rendering.  Los Angeles is big and contains tons of computer crushing scenery, so if you can get 15 fps and flying around it is smooth and not jerky, then don't worry about that frame rate counter.  Just turn it off and enjoy the experience.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for the advice! The experience is mostly fluid. I will see when I get Traffic x, and my PMDG aircraft how things change.

Have a read thought my guide it might help with the NGX, link in sig

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip