Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Windows 10 THIS MONTH! Questions for FSX

How long is this available for free? Can I get Windows 10 for free as a fresh install on another hard drive with proof of owning Windows 7?

My goal is to have both Windows 10 and Windows 7 on two separate swappable hard drives. I have multiple Win 7 64 Ultimate licenses

Available until the beta ends.

Yes, you can. The beta transforms into a full, normal license IF you keep a Microsoft Account attached to the preview by July 29. (A MS Account isn't required for regular license, thank god).

You can be sure , that if you wait to long, MS will gladly take your money later.

That's the truth...and there will be some that won't go, unless kicking and screaming...and oh...the wallet/purse getting cranked open for $300.00 or so...

...I'm happy with my W7...but it is going to be left behind...just like the great working XP was.  Life....

If it 'aint broke'...doesn't cut the mustard with Microsoft supporting their software for all eternity....

Yes, you can. The beta transforms into a full, normal license IF you keep a Microsoft Account attached to the preview by July 29. (A MS Account isn't required for regular license, thank god).

Thanks Diego

Rich Sennett

And IF you stay on the insider preview builds otherwise that license will expire.(The insider preview program continues after W10 has been released.)

If it 'aint broke'...doesn't cut the mustard with Microsoft supporting their software for all eternity....

It's not about fixing, it's about innovating and moving forward. By the logic of not fixing, we should all still be running Windows 95.

Brandon Filer

It's not about fixing, it's about innovating and moving forward. By the logic of not fixing, we should all still be running Windows 95.

Valid statement, but with Microsoft, there seems to come a point where "innovating and moving forward" collide with ease of use and familiarity (See: Windows 8.0, Microsoft Flight, Office 2013).

I honestly don't think that those millions of people still on XP give a rat's &@($* about losing updates.

After my experiments with using the Insider (about 5 versions) I must say next: at the current stage of Windows 10 development this Operating System (wich use a DirectX 12 previw) doesn't work properly with both FSX and FS9! (I mean how it was in Windows 7).

FSX can work, BUT ONLY in a DirectX 10 preview turned ON! May be I do not like this fact, but I do like Windows 10 Insider. I think, that this new OS works more stable and more quickly then previous WIN OS. I hope, that final release will more accurate and will support old DX 9 applications. 

Why fly? Simple. I'm not happy unless there's some room between me and the ground.

-Richard Bach, "A Gift of Wings" 1974

After my experiments with using the Insider (about 5 versions) I must say next: at the current stage of Windows 10 development this Operating System (wich use a DirectX 12 previw) doesn't work properly with both FSX and FS9! (I mean how it was in Windows 7).

FSX can work, BUT ONLY in a DirectX 10 preview turned ON! May be I do not like this fact, but I do like Windows 10 Insider. I think, that this new OS works more stable and more quickly then previous WIN OS. I hope, that final release will more accurate and will support old DX 9 applications. 

Just like all versions of DirectX, DX12 available for applications to use it if they are coded to do so. FSX and FS9 won't ever touch it because they're coded to use DX9 (and FSX to use DX10 if the user selects it). That said, I'm wondering what the issue is that you are having. I haven't had any issues with FSX in DX9 or DX10 for months now and I've not seen anyone reporting that it doesn't work.

Brandon Filer

T

I haven't had any issues with FSX in DX9 or DX10 for months now and I've not seen anyone reporting that it doesn't work.

Thank you for answer. Looks like I have the same videocard as your, but in a DX 9 mode my FSX show me this black preview window! And, of cause FSX doesn't show anything after FLY button pressed (only full screen black or windowed screen black)/ After I sweetched to DX10 mode - FSX work as it must work in DX 10 mode.

965ec2bf5f97.jpg

That driver version for your  videocard do you use?

Why fly? Simple. I'm not happy unless there's some room between me and the ground.

-Richard Bach, "A Gift of Wings" 1974

Looking fwd to it.  Adhered on my desktop and laptop, and am awaiting the day!

I no longer use FSX:SE, only Aerowinx PSX ( which is Java-based ), DSC World, IL2 Battle of Stalingrad and Condorsoaring, and all of it is just fine as reported by users of those sims already in Win 10.

For the very 1st time in my simmer life ( not in my business live ) I will migrate without a fresh install, and see how it goes.

If I like the migration, I will probably leave it that way, otherwise there is an option to perform a clean install, and that will follow. Not too many things to install in my case...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

T

Thank you for answer. Looks like I have the same videocard as your, but in a DX 9 mode my FSX show me this black preview window! And, of cause FSX doesn't show anything after FLY button pressed (only full screen black or windowed screen black)/ After I sweetched to DX10 mode - FSX work as it must work in DX 10 mode.

965ec2bf5f97.jpg

That driver version for your  videocard do you use?

I'm having the problem in fsx steam. I just did a fresh install of windows 10 rtm and I'm having the black screen if I use NI. I can still fly when I hit the fly now button though. If I check the AA box in fsx the screen is not black anymore

Win 10 is a big fail for me.... everything worked perfectly with Win 7 but now very slow, choppy, rendering slow. I even set graphics to lowest setting in FSX and no real change. I have also noticed a lot of my Steam  games behaving similar. My advice is stick with Win 7... Win 10 has nothing great to offer that's worth the hassle.

Win 10 is a big fail for me.... everything worked perfectly with Win 7 but now very slow, choppy, rendering slow. I even set graphics to lowest setting in FSX and no real change. I have also noticed a lot of my Steam  games behaving similar. My advice is stick with Win 7... Win 10 has nothing great to offer that's worth the hassle.

Try doing a clean install.

Try doing a clean install.

Funnily enough i've had all kinds of problems too. Upgraded and FSX didn't work. Did clean Windows 10 and FSX install (FSX + Acceleration) and it worked about 1 time out of 10 in either DX9 or DX10 mode.  Tried all kinds of compatibility mode combinations with no decent results. Generally it crashed to desktop on going into 'Fly Now' (usually either kernelbase.dll or fsxui.dll were the culprits). Am not part way through reinstalling my system back on Windows 7.  A pity, as otherwise I like Windows 10 but I need my FSX fix!

This was with a nvidia 680 graphics card and latest drivers by the way.

I had this issue recently on Windows 7.  Your cause may be different than mine, but mine was driver/Nvidia Inspector related.  I updated to the latest driver and it went black.  I had to change my AA setting in NI to get FSX working again. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM