That paradigm suggests the OP will never fly another aircraft in the future, which isn't realistic.  Even if you consider the OP's fleet (e.g. NGX/777), it will still cost $118.84 vice MCE's $60.00.  You're still paying for reboots and each rendition of the software too, which IMO is crazy.  Finally, MCE comes with a BUNCH of flows based on real-world procedures; thus, it's also plug and play.  The best part, MCE has a fully featured trial version;  I suspect that has something to do with FS++ supreme confidence in their program.  We haven't even touched on MCEs other features (e.g. ATC interactions).  I'm not trying to degrade FS2Crew, which is a fine piece of software; however, when compared MCE's value...it simply doesn't hold up.  

Matt King

I DO have FS2Crew already for both the 737NGX and the 777, so there is no further cost...yet! I would probably purchase the Reboot if the upgrade price is believable. BUT - I also have the Coolsky Super 80 and the Mad Dog, which I'd also like to crew. FS2Crew has a model for the Mad Dog, but that would be another purchase.

So I am interested in MCE. But at this time, the price tag is a bit out of reach. Maybe they'll have a sale...

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Even if you consider the OP's fleet (e.g. NGX/777), it will still cost $118.84 vice MCE's $60.00.

Where did you get that from? If you buy the NGX Legacy Bundle and the 777 Voice/Button control right now, that comes to 60 Euro's. Lots of the big VAs also have a deal with FS2Crew to get a further 20% off (That's how I got started with FS2Crew) I really don't see where you got $118.84 from? Don't take that in an offensive way.

As for 'value', it's all subjective isn't it? The more flexible a piece of software is, the more compromises have to be made but yes, budget is also a consideration.

It just comes down to what you want it for. have a lot of aircraft that relies on more than one pilot (or older addons that aren't supported by FS2Crew)? RC4 customer? Big Xplane user? go for MCE.

Primarily fly the Airbus, Q400, NGX and 777? go with FS2Crew. That'd be my recommendation.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Remember that I already own FS2Crew for the 737 and 777. I don't have to purchase the Reboot for the NGX - what I have now works fine. The Coolsky and the Mad Dog aren't flown as much, so buying FS2Crew for them isn't a priority. If I had nothing, MCE would look very tempting, as I could use it for everything.

But $69.95 USD is too rich for my wallet right now. I've already downloaded it, and will take it for a test drive. And if it blows me away, maybe I'll set aside some cash for a future purchase.

-= Gary Barth =-

I've already downloaded it

The Demo package comes with 2 pre-recorded voice packs only, in order to minimize the download size.

Make sure you also download the other 5 co-pilot voice packs (William, Clive, Lorna, Dieter and Jean-Claude.They are on the same download page.

FO Bill (USA) is expected to be added in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Be aware, Demo doesn't last long, 3 days or 30 runs whichever expires first.

Good to hear there is an upcoming "Bill" USA voice. Getting a little tired of Trav!

To gpbarth: I have used FS2Crew in the past, but then became a full on MCE user. Flexibility, customizeability, and customer support are the big things. You find a bug or even request a feature, FS++ listens. I will echo certain sentiments said before about FS2Crew being comparitively rigid. I believe it is set up intentionally to ignore all but "appropriate" commands for any given phase of flight, plus the way you phrase something typically has to be exactly by the book with no variation. On the other hand with MCE, I can order the FO to do whatever I want with a large variety of phrasings, and not every flight has to follow the exact protocol of a real world commercial flight. In this way, I can have a copilot who does exactly what I want even if I'm flying the NGX around the field like a VFR Cessna, and there are no onscreen GUI's or mouseclicks needed to get the FO to know which phase of flight we're in. Only drawback I see is that because of the variation that MCE is capable of, it's voices are more dynamically constructed and therefore a little robotic sounding compared to FS2Crew. I like FS2Crew, it is very well done, but MCE just suits my needs better. Buy once, have all the good planes supported, including PMDG MD-11, and even be able to effectively interface with atc without have to mouse over selections as you are landing. I think MCE is of the best cost/value purchases in all of flight simulation, right up there in the same league with the likes of Ezdok, ASN, and TrackIR. And flying a multicrew airliner just doesn't feel right now without it.

Where did you get that from? If you buy the NGX Legacy Bundle and the 777 Voice/Button control right now, that comes to 60 Euro's. Lots of the big VAs also have a deal with FS2Crew to get a further 20% off (That's how I got started with FS2Crew) I really don't see where you got $118.84 from? Don't take that in an offensive way.

Fair question, Ebs.  I didn't see the 777 and NGX bundles you were referring to; however,  I got the aggregate by totaling the 777, 737 and 737 Emergency bundles found here:

http://www.fs2crew.com/cart/products/FS2Crew%3A-PMDG-737-NGX-Special-Bundle-Pack.html

I think its fair to include the emergency product as MCE allows you to handle these procedures via VoxScripts; moreover, you can control button inputs through VoxKey.   Again, you have to purchase multiple F2Crew products to achieve the capability of MCE.  

I'm a huge advocate of F++ business model as it gives us simmers the most "bang for our dollar."  I'm continually mystified as to how this is even considered a competition as I view MCE as a far superior product.  Yet, I recolonize FS2Crews loyal base and that has to count for something....     

Matt King

Good to hear there is an upcoming "Bill" USA voice. Getting a little tired of Trav!

To gpbarth: I have used FS2Crew in the past, but then became a full on MCE user. Flexibility, customizeability, and customer support are the big things. You find a bug or even request a feature, FS++ listens. I will echo certain sentiments said before about FS2Crew being comparitively rigid. I believe it is set up intentionally to ignore all but "appropriate" commands for any given phase of flight, plus the way you phrase something typically has to be exactly by the book with no variation. On the other hand with MCE, I can order the FO to do whatever I want with a large variety of phrasings, and not every flight has to follow the exact protocol of a real world commercial flight. In this way, I can have a copilot who does exactly what I want even if I'm flying the NGX around the field like a VFR Cessna, and there are no onscreen GUI's or mouseclicks needed to get the FO to know which phase of flight we're in. Only drawback I see is that because of the variation that MCE is capable of, it's voices are more dynamically constructed and therefore a little robotic sounding compared to FS2Crew. I like FS2Crew, it is very well done, but MCE just suits my needs better. Buy once, have all the good planes supported, including PMDG MD-11, and even be able to effectively interface with atc without have to mouse over selections as you are landing. I think MCE is of the best cost/value purchases in all of flight simulation, right up there in the same league with the likes of Ezdok, ASN, and TrackIR. And flying a multicrew airliner just doesn't feel right now without it.

Well, you have just about convinced me. I just have to make a space in my very limited budget to afford it. I recently ran up a list of the software and hardware I have purchased exclusively for FSX (including the recent SE version), and I'm pushing the $2000 mark. When you spend $175 on a video card, $200 on Saitek controllers, $160 on TrackIR, and $50 to $80 for aircraft, weather, flight planning, EFBs, textures, etc. it's really easy to lose control. One reason why I haven't ported over to P3D - I can't afford $200 just for the sim, plus purchasing my entire fleet of aircraft all over again. Argh!

-= Gary Barth =-

There are differences in design

We give the FO a complete type rating on the aircraft he is supposed to assist with. We teach him to read and set as many switches and dials as possible. It can be a real challenge for those aircraft that don't have SDK. (PMDG 747, PMDG MD-11, all CS aircraft, QW aircraft)

Then pre-made flows are there for users to use as they are or amend them to suit any real world or virtual airline SOPs. Users can create their own flows for emergency situations, that's why we don't need to make "Emergency product", the capability is simply built-in'.

Then there is that little issue with Virtual Address space (VAS). FSX, Preparr3D and FS9 are still 32 Bit applications, as such they cannot use more than 4 GB of virtual memory, even if you have 16 GB of RAM installed on Windows 8.1

Recognizing this limitation, we decided long ago that running the memory hungry speech engine inside the simulator process (through a gauge) is a NO NO.

We only run things inside the simulator process that cannot run outside it. fsInsider.dll that gives FO situational awareness + 1 and only one dll from those files in <MCE dlls> folder to interact with a particular aircraft. No "Panel.cfg" editing is required (serious simmers know what happens when you reach the limit in terms of entries in that file. Often leading to situations where you cannot run 2 of your favorite add-ons simultaneously, because both need to add many entries).

The heavy part of MCE and the speech engine it hosts in "mce.exe" run as a separate process and have their own 4 GB VAS to play with. 

Should anything wrong happen with MCE or the speech engine becomes somehow unresponsive, it would hardly if ever compromise the integrity of your flight, the most precious thing.

There is no fingers crossing, and anxiety about not doing anything that could upset the sim. You can have fun with FO knowing you won't get a CTD because you said something that wasn't expected.

Aircraft like PMDG 777 are known to use a big chunk of the available VAS. Once you add Orbx and ASN, then you will definitely want the speech engine out of the equation. If we ran MCE inside the sim, 500 MB VAS (FO voice pack dll alone is 200 MB) would be allocated to our app. That means less VAS for other scenery, aircraft, AI, weather to use. I wouldn't even mention what happens after a 3 hours flight and you have spoken a few hundred commands.

But maybe this little detail isn't important for those who can't see beyond the "Audio is everything"

Good to hear there is an upcoming "Bill" USA voice

Bill USA recorded voice pack is now available from this link.

http://www.multicrewxp.com/FO_Bill_For_MCE_V2.zip

Stuart (UK) and Bryan (USA) are currently recording their packs.

By the end of the year, should have 10 co-pilot voice packs to choose from.

Just my 2c worth. I have used both FS2Crew and MCE and to honest I wanted to like FS2Crew more! The FS2Crew interface looked really good and I've seen some great youtube videos of it in action.

But in use for me the flexibility of MCE really made a difference. I have adjusted the checklists for various aircraft to conform with the guidance for my particular virtual airline and have used the included Vox key programme to allow me to change views and display the menubar via voice control. I also use Vox atc as it gives me AI traffic plus SIDs and STARS  in Prepar3d and the two programmes work very well together. 

I really like the way with MCE that I can use different phrases and even "train" particular words if I need to. Also should add that being a congenital fiddle'er as far as flight sim is concerned I have managed to break my install numerous times over the last couple of years! I must have been  real pain to Ben and the team at MCE but all my questions and queries have been answered promptly and courteously. 

I do find it hard to fault MCEIt does exactly what is says on the tin and I would heartily and honestly recommend it. 

M

I have both.

FS2Crew is useless for me with my chockpit settings. I bought FS2C arround one year ago, after one test it was uninstalled.

MCE is usefull for me. With voxkey and voxscript you can do everything you need with the voice.

They just finish to repair my problem with AES. They provide me a patch when locate the problem. Now everything run well.

One of the best support i find in FS in my opinion, the second after Hi-Fi (ASN) , and pair with majestic software.

I never try FS2C support.

I select MCE, of course.

I Have not tried fs2crew, But here's my experience with MCE:

1- support is amazing. It's been many times that I contacted support for feature requests and most of them were implemented. They quickly patch bugs and work closely with you if you got any questions or features you want added.

2- Scripting. I don't know if fs2crew have scripting abilities. but in MCE there is a (kind of new) feature that let's you to press FMC buttons and perform every other commands in your script. so I could give one command to my First Officer and He'd set up the entire aircraft for me.

3- According to my experience, MCE is FO-oriented (Which i  mainly require). You don't have too much interactions with other crew members, but You can talk to your co pilot through out the entire trip.

4- FO monitors your aircraft - in Aerosoft Airbus A320, the  bird that i mainly fly with, MCE reports almost every change that happens e.g  the green/blue/majenta status of controls and all other instruments.

These were the things that I love about MCE and It's all personal opinion.

All of you have done an excellent job in convincing me to go to MCE. I really do like the ability to customize it through and through. That being said, I still went ahead and purchased the FS2Crew NGX Reboot, for several reasons:

1. I already had FS2Crew (as previously stated), and was familiar with the voice method used - flows and such.
  2. It cost me just over $34 USD, and came with a few more options that I like,
  3. Switching to MCE will set me back twice that amount, and at this time, I just don't have the money.

However, I am setting aside some budgeted cash for the purchase in the near future. I do like FS2Crew, and with the 3 different SOPs, I can let the FO do almost everything (SOP1) OR make myself responsible for almost everything (SOP3). Some might also say that the free add-on, Emergency, makes it even better, but to tell you the truth, I like to fly knowing that nothing will ever go wrong. Pay me $120K a year, and I might let problems into my cockpit, but the realism stops at emergencies right now.

Again, thanks to all of you for the input. Had I not been an owner of FS2Crew, I'd be downloading MCE right now. But it is on my radar, and probably will be on my computer before Fall.

-= Gary Barth =-

And MCE is a free upgrade to P3D v4. 

FS2Crew wants you to pay almost the same price as a brand new product for little more than a simple adapter fro P3Dv3 to v4.  

The integrity and honesty to its customers of MCE means l am changing over to it like many others.

• Upvote 2