Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just got the Reserve Windows 10, icon...and so...well...

...reserved my W10 Pro download.  I see that some are reporting higher FPS within their sims..and some who are using it have posted a much faster, crisper, user experience with the beta.

So...here's crossing my fingers, that all my flight sims and 3rd P will work in the W10 Pro sandbox.

Before though...I will make a full complete system backup of my now installed W7 Ultimate.  Just in case....

Anybody else, reserve?

No backup needed as you relinquish your win7 license when you load win 10 - its great  - glad I idid it

Rich Sennett

No backup needed as you relinquish your win7 license when you load win 10 - its great  - glad I idid it

So Rich, you are saying that if I wanted to return to W7...that I could not just bring back the System Image I would make?!?!?!?

Hmmmm......

So Rich, you are saying that if I wanted to return to W7...that I could not just bring back the System Image I would make?!?!?!?

Hmmmm......

I guess you can but eventually you would have your license transferred to windows 10 maybe when full version is on your system for a while not sure but you wont go back

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-recover-a-previous-builds-or-your-original/76b6750c-5bb2-40bc-a7e3-f03cec62338b

Rich Sennett

Rich I'm not sure that you lose your W7/8.1 license if you upgrade...

You will always have the disc for it, so it's just a matter of putting the disc in and reinstalling the OS.

I guess you can but eventually you would have your license transferred to windows 10 maybe when full version is on your system for a while not sure but you wont go back

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-recover-a-previous-builds-or-your-original/76b6750c-5bb2-40bc-a7e3-f03cec62338b

So what I think you are telling me...is that you did NOT do a clean install...and have a Virgin desktop, that you then installed the whole shebang back into...but you only upgraded as we have from XP to VISTA, to W7, etc...and all worked after the dust settled and reboot?  Please tell me that that's what you did....for to reload my entire flight sim collection spread over 4 flight sims....well...it was a normal upgrade from W7 right?

Holding my breath, waiting for your reply... :unsure:

Rich I'm not sure that you lose your W7/8.1 license if you upgrade...

You will always have the disc for it, so it's just a matter of putting the disc in and reinstalling the OS.

Or just bringing back your entire W7 system capture, which would have your license already installed and in working condition....and that's what I would be doing, if I did not like W10 over my W7 experience.

To anybody else that might want a clean, and easy back-up plan...do just that...get a System Image software, (or use the great one in W7 Ultimate) and make one...every drive...all of it into one image. Then, if you don't like W10 for any reason....shut down your W10 system, reboot with your emerge back up DVD or Floppy disk, and then re-call from the Menu, your W7 system image. Some time later...when you reboot, you will be back to your full and loaded W7 install, ready to use...just a reminder to do this.  Would'a, could'a's would be already too late.

So what I think you are telling me

Hi Brother - I had a retail copy of windows 7 ultimate purchased right from Microsoft and I upgraded from that to windows 10 - I did nothing else all running great - you do not have to do a clean install if you dont want to - P3D worked fine - I was messing with vector and UTX  and messed something up like not having a real uninstaller for vector thats another story so I did a reinstall of P3D for that reason - you should be fine - I do plan on a full format and a clean install of windows 10 with the final release this month - I do not think it will be much different as it is running excellent just the way it is with just the win7 update to win 10 - thats it happy camper here

Rich Sennett

Hi Brother - I had a retail copy of windows 7 ultimate purchased right from Microsoft and I upgraded from that to windows 10 - I did nothing else all running great - you do not have to do a clean install if you dont want to - P3D worked fine - I was messing with vector and UTX  and messed something up like not having a real uninstaller for vector thats another story so I did a reinstall of P3D for that reason - you should be fine - I do plan on a full format and a clean install of windows 10 with the final release this month - I do not think it will be much different as it is running excellent just the way it is with just the win7 update to win 10 - thats it happy camper here

Thanks Rich.   Rich...is it really, tangibly BETTER?!?!?

Thanks Rich.   Rich...is it really, tangibly BETTER?!?!?

No problem - tangibly - no - I like the look and icons better (windows explorer) - seems smoother (P3D) - bit snappier other than that you might not really notice anything but time to move on and dx12 ready - p3d 64bit - no brainer - your call but dont expect miracles and will be a bit of work as you have to update to each build until you get to the last before the final version this month - or you can use a build you like and wait also - You do this make sure you have your sound card driver ready and a windows 10 video driver ready - sound does not have to be windows 10 - can be your last version but may have to be reinstalled as mine did - have to fly - talk later

Rich Sennett

No problem - tangibly - no - I like the look and icons better (windows explorer) - seems smoother (P3D) - bit snappier other than that you might not really notice anything but time to move on and dx12 ready - p3d 64bit - no brainer - your call but dont expect miracles and will be a bit of work as you have to update to each build until you get to the last before the final version this month - or you can use a build you like and wait also - You do this make sure you have your sound card driver ready and a windows 10 video driver ready - sound does not have to be windows 10 - can be your last version but may have to be reinstalled as mine did - have to fly - talk later

Thanks for that, Rich.  I only intend to go W10, when MS notifies me that my download RTM is ready.  Yeah..you're right...whether you do it now, free, or later and regret that you didn't grab the offer...is that W7 like XP, will no longer be updated/supported, blah, blah...and so...yeah...  I'll install the RTM.  Thanks for your come-backs!

Mitch

Thanks for that, Rich. 

Mitch

Welcome Brother :)

Rich Sennett

Richard, you sI have a W7 laptop, 64bit, 4GB ram that I have icon reserved. I also have an W8.1 64bit 2GB ram laptop that I use for work that I have also 'icon reserved'.

The W7 laptop is my 'play' one with FS9 (2x versions) & P3Dv1.4 (Yup, no DX11!).

The W8 one occassionally gives me a blue screen, falls over & restarts. I'm not too worried about that tho'.

So, as far as my 'play' laptop goes, my thoughts are that all should be good, without reloading all my stuff.

On the other laptop, will an install on W10 sort out the occassional 'roll over & die' scenario?

I do realise that the W10 update is more of a service update that a full upgrade, or am I mistaken?

Your thoughts?

Regards, Robin 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...