Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

A Tragic Ending for a PBY

This is the tragic end of life for a venerable PBY, that was wholly the result of absolute stupidity on the part of the "salvage experts."

http://www.fox10tv.com/clip/11652968/world-war-ii-era-plane-breaks-during-salvaging-effort

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is the tragic end of life for a venerable PBY, that was wholly the result of absolute stupidity on the part of the "salvage experts."

http://www.fox10tv.com/clip/11652968/world-war-ii-era-plane-breaks-during-salvaging-effort

Hi Bill...

How sad. I agree with one responder - criminal.

However, can somebody explain the phrase 'cranium rectal inversion'.

Is this a technical term ? :P

Bill

However, can somebody explain the phrase 'cranium rectal inversion'.

I think it's tech-speak for hull plugs being left out, and the subsequent ingress of water.

;-)

RiP

Having one's derriere where one's head should be, and vice-versa.

Fr. Bill    

I read that report a few days ago.

Very sad indeed 

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20150703-0

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

How about maintenance standards that let water into the fuselage?

How hard it it to pull a flying boat off the beach??? What idiots were behind this operation?! You temp patch the hole,dig around the plane so it will float, push it into the water and either tow it to a ramp or fly it to the local airport for more permanent repairs.  Its no different then getting a beached boat back into the water!,well except for the flying part.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The same day that the PBY landed and started taking on water, two retired Navy Seals volunteered to 'plug the holes'. They dove under water and reinstalled the missing drain plugs, then towed it close onshore so that the nose was up on the sand.

So far, things had gone well. Then the "experts" were called in and everything went downhill from there. Here is a series of photos taken during the misnamed "recovery effort":

http://imgur.com/a/wsIDs

As you can see, they tried to lift her out using belly bands, rather than using bands around the wing roots, or even the hook installed at the CoG that was designed for lifting, as can be seen in this old Navy photo:

3%20PBY.jpg

Fr. Bill    

This is so ridiculous...why couldn't they just pump water out, then drag her by boat to a location where she could be brought back up onto land. This is crazy!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The Salvage Operation was probably constrained by the movie's Production budget; that's why they found amateurs to do the job. A few minutes spent perusing Google & Wikipedia probably would have given them all the 411 they needed to do the job properly, instead of the below board effort they put forth.

Alan  :mad:  

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Here's another question why didn't the pilots just lower the gear and taxi it onto the beach

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Tragic, nearly as bad as the B29 Kee Bird destruction:

I have never seen one of these fly, i know that the Confederate Airforce has a flying one, and i have seen the static display at IWM Duxford, but it would have been nice to have another flying B29

Ian R Tyldesley

Tragic, nearly as bad as the B29 Kee Bird destruction:

I have never seen one of these fly, i know that the Confederate Airforce has a flying one, and i have seen the static display at IWM Duxford, but it would have been nice to have another flying B29

At least those guys had a passion for aviation and didnt demonstrate utter incompetence. They brought a bird back from the dead, yet it was destined to return to the grave. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson