Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel Pimentel

I Hate Thumbs.db

Nuff Said.....gwillmot

Guest ba747heavy

>Good link.....>but why do people include them in their zipped uploads?>gwillmotProbably because when they zip up the folder with there stuff thumbs.db happenes to be automatically zipped by whatever zipping program they are using.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Well IMO, they should use the search function of windows and with the subfolders option checked, search on 'thumbs.db', and then simply delete them before zipping up their package. :~P Cuz I dislike them too! But it's not too big a deal. I simply either delete them them from the .zip file or unselect them before I unzip, or, on occasion I do a search on my Flight Simulator 9 folder for these pesky varmits and delete them myself :-bang.... then defrag. ;)Regards,Jim

Guest ba747heavy

>I do a search on my>Flight Simulator 9 folder for these pesky varmits and delete>them myself :-bang.... then defrag. ;)Jim,I had never thought of that, good idea :)

I do what you do....but I still think they could be eliminated before "zipping"..think of all the "wasted time" people are causing for everyone.gwillmot

Guest UweR

"...think of all the "wasted time" people are causing for everyone."Yep, it

I didn't say it was "problem of the year".....just an everyday annoyance that could easily be remedied on the "front" end.I don't believe in the trickle-down theory of passing along a situation to others....and YES....I admire and respect EVERY developer (freeware and payware) for the outstanding job they do. They have a talent I wish I possessed........but they could just take a little more time to help the hundreds/thousands affected by these worthless files.I didn't mean to start of "war"....just offer a suggestion to rid everyone of excessive bandwidth and time used.gwillmot

Guest ba747heavy

I'm sorry, but EXCESSIVE bandwidth? Your kidding, right?

What do you call it when you are sending junk?SPAM/Worthless files....it all adds up. Networks have got to overcompensate for the "worthless" bits that are generated each day. Result - more infrastructure, more cost, more needless time to transmit.I know it may not seem much to you since the discussion started with trying to rid these "little" thumbs.db files....but it all adds up.Why not try to do our part (albeit "little") in trying to make things more efficient and "user friendly"?We are so spoiled by "technology" today, that we have simply forgotten how to work more efficiently. It all "happens", so why should we worry?So much for editorials......we are losing track of the initial issue.All I ask is for people to try to remove the thumbs.db files from their uploads. No....I'll live with it and it won't cause me cancer, but it would be nicer, more efficient and help people, wouldn't it?Now....off to solve global warming......Glenn Willmot

Guest ba747heavy

Glen,Sorry, but I really don't see how 4092 byte(!) thumbs.db(I just checked in one of my zip files) is such a big deal. Certainly isn't going to add much to your transmission time or size :-roll

Guest Daniel Pimentel

I bet the 2KB a thumbs file occupies brings your shiny new P133 to its knees, otherwise it would be moronic of you to even bring the topic up.Really people, I know we're bored... I realize we don't have a life... But complaining over this stuff is sincerely the most ridiculous thing I have seen in these forums in a LONG time (and I've seen a lot of things).DPhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest Tim13

It looks like Glenn has been pulled over by the opinion police. How dare you voice an opinion Glenn! Shame on you. :-lol Tim13

Guest Daniel Pimentel

^ It's not so much the opinion that annoys me, but the complaint that developers should remove them. I mean, we don't hate them, so I think a few seconds removing the file won't kill him. It's just amazing that he's complaining that we leave the file there... It's not like we all hate the file. We don't have to accomodate his wants, he's the first and probably the last to point this out. See what I mean?DPhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)