Sign in to follow this  
pelayogon

FMS navigation issues

I continue enjoying this aircraft!

Nevertheless I am finding some problems in the navigation with the FMS. I do not know if it is a limitation of the FMS or my mistakes doing the procedures:

Entries to holding patterns or racetracks:

- Direct entry: The aircraft does not directly turn once the fix is passed but manouvers to do a "perfectly drawn" turn to the ourbound course

- Entry approching through opposite course to the inbound course: This is tipical in some ILS approaches where you fly the course opposite to the inbound one to make later a racetrack in order to get the LOC. Discussion may be between parallel or tea drop but this is other matter. The FMS choose parallel but instead of fly the opposite to the inbound course once the fix is got, the aircraft makes an small turn to fly somehow offset this course

- Entry to racetrack: If you define a racetrack, say 9NM, the aircraft flies the teadrop or parallel entry for 9NM instead of 1' or 1'30''.

Approach "automatically" started: It happened to me in a couple of flights

- In an airport without STAR procedures (LEVD), flight plan was to get a fix and then direct to the ILS approach, as reflected in the plates. Nevertheless, before getting the fix (with armed and tuned approach already pressed)  the aircraft turned to intercept the LOC, making shorter the approach higher altituded than requested

- Barcelona (LEBL) ILS approach to the rwy02: thie ILS approach include a DME arc to intercept the LOC (I know it is not frequent). I have not had problems with DME arcs in SIDs or STARs but here, instead of doing the arc the aircraft flow a direct course to intercept the LOC.

I do not know if some of you have experiences the same issues.

Sorry for the long topic and for my English.

Regards