Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

I think I just found P3D heaven...

...at least until I have a house large enough and the money and time to build a real 737 cockpit.

Got myself a 48" curved 4K TV from Samsung and replaced my 1st gen Titan with an overclocked 980 Ti Strix from Asus and I never experienced a more intense sense of immersion and actually being in the cockpit and looking out of the cockpit windows seeing the terrain below rendered in 4K and yet with great performance is amazing!

Can't recommend this kind of setup enough!!

Richard Åsberg

Hello,

What is the part number for your Tv ? UE48JS8500 ?

Banner_MJC9.png

Today is the most beautiful day of my life...

No, I got the UE48JU6675 model and it's working great for my needs only using it as a monitor.

The most important thing I was looking for was Chroma 4:4:4 support @ 60 Hz meaning not only P3D and movies will look great but also text when working on the desktop.

Richard Åsberg

Very cool, I have considered doing something like this myself.  Would a GTX 970 be able to handle this tv?  Also, do you have it sitting about the same distance away from you as a normal monitor?  I always assumed sitting that close to a large screen would be an issue.

Eric

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I always assumed sitting that close to a large screen would be an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think sitting really close is the whole point (and enabled by 4k resolutions) so that the cockpit and gauges can get even closer to "real life size & feel", yeah?

I dont find your model in France :mad: . I find UE48JU6500.

I buy last week Acer monitor 28" with G-SYNC (750 €). Amazing performance but still 28".   Before this ACER i used SAMSUNG 42" monitor.

I think the sending back this ACER and buy TV like you, only for Prepar3d

Banner_MJC9.png

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think sitting really close is the whole point (and enabled by 4k resolutions) so that the cockpit and gauges can get even closer to "real life size & feel", yeah?

You seem correct on that.  I've always noticed when I look at a tv up close it hurts/strains my eyes but maybe the brightness/contrast has to be adjusted when close. Technically, it shouldn't be any different than looking at your monitor I suppose.  Maybe it's my mom's nagging voice from my childhood in the back of my brain saying 'don't sit that close to the tv!!' ..... :BigGrin:

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

You're right, the whole idea (at least if you ask me) is to be close to the TV which will help you feel like you're actually inside the cockpit and the curved design helps out as well and a lot! I had a 40" flat 1080 TV before this curved 4K TV and the difference is HUGE :smile:

Here's one picture and here's another one showing the setup but of course pictures like this won't do it justice compared to actually sit in front on the TV in real life. What I'm most happy about is that the 980 Ti had enough power to drive P3D in 4K with the NGX and all normal addons such as FTX Global, Vector ASN etc. At first I did experience some stuttering when entering dense clouds but after I overclocked the card now running at 1450 MHz I haven't seen any more stuttering and my FPS normally stays between 35-50 in the v/c in the NGX.

I could not be more happy with my setup :D

I dont find your model in France :mad: . I find UE48JU6500.

I buy last week Acer monitor 28" with G-SYNC (750 €). Amazing performance but still 28".   Before this ACER i used SAMSUNG 42" monitor.

I think the sending back this ACER and buy TV like you, only for Prepar3d

Well...considering the image quality I get using this TV @ 60 Hz with Ultra HD Deep Color enabled (Chroma 4:4:4) and a high quality HDMI cable to me it's equally as good as any monitor with the big difference that it's 48" :wink:

I think the JU6500 would be just fine as well. What I learned is you should go for a JU model rather than a HU model since the JU models mean 2015 and Chroma 4:4:4 support as long as you get a model that is above 6200. However don't take my word for it but do some Google searching before you decide to buy anything and maybe contact Samsung as well telling them what you need and let them suggest what model to go for.

Very cool, I have considered doing something like this myself. Would a GTX 970 be able to handle this tv? Also, do you have it sitting about the same distance away from you as a normal monitor? I always assumed sitting that close to a large screen would be an issue.

Eric

Sorry but from my experience you need a fast 980 Ti to get good performance @ 4K.

Richard Åsberg

Ok. Thank for your advice. Have nice flight with your new monitor :drinks:

Banner_MJC9.png

I have just upgraded as well..

I got 2x980 gtx running in sli to power my LG 49" 4k momitor...

The difference is mindblowing..

Dave

Very nice setup - looks awesome! You're going to get a lot of copycats... :lol: