Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Windows 10

If it works, why change it? I don't understand why folks want to rush out there and wrestle with the alligator in the river when standing on the bank is trouble-free. I shall watch the struggle with a XXXX in my hand.

If it works, why change it? I don't understand why folks want to rush out there and wrestle with the alligator in the river when standing on the bank is trouble-free. I shall watch the struggle with a XXXX in my hand.

i do agree.

My observations so far, cannot pull down menus in full screen with ALT key. Saitek throttle buttons not working with paid FSUIPC. Throttles are working though... Nvidia Inspector does not work. Not seeing any performance improvements any where. I doubt MS will fix for a 13 year old game. I hope I'm wrong though.

It is not up to MS to fix your Saitek or NI issues.

No Kidding Jim .... I pointed out problems including the MS part in Fs2004 with drop down menus no longer working in full screen with Windows 10. Hence "I doubt MS will fix for a 13 year old game".......

I wonder if MS could fix Jim's issues? He seems to be getting crankier these days and verging on becoming a troll...

I wonder if MS could fix Jim's issues? He seems to be getting crankier these days and verging on becoming a troll...

Actually Ian, I think he has already arrived there.......

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Hi

I still run XP Sp3 and never had any problems with compatability from anything else at all.

My philosophy is, if it ain,t broke don't mess with it lol.  Works for me.........John

Hi

I still run XP Sp3 and never had any problems with compatability from anything else at all.

My philosophy is, if it ain,t broke don't mess with it lol.  Works for me.........John

Still using Win XP in 2015 is a stupid idea. 

Still using Win XP in 2015 is a stupid idea. 

Wow......that's really quite over the top.  Rude and arrogant actually.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Wow......that's really quite over the top. Not everybody is going to run with the latest and greatest so get over it. I'm quite sure there are some things you do could be tagged "stupid" as well.

Relax.

Using an operating system released in 2001 that is no longer supported is a stupid idea. Or do you think it's a wonderful idea?

Relax.

Using an operating system released in 2001 that is no longer supported is a stupid idea. Or do you think it's a wonderful idea?

I think it's up to the person using it...period. If I think it's wonderful or not so wonderful does not matter. To each his own.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Hello Linux.  Why is it it a stupid Idea???   Nah! I don't think I will waste my time lol..........John

Relax.

I guess the same would be said in a few about W7 in a few years even though based on what we're hearing about W10 might be the best idea for those of us using still using FS9 (the stupidest idea of them all).  P3D/FSX: SE will get patched to fully use W10 I'm sure in a few so that may be a non issue but FS9 has some features about it (the most add-on options ever created for a sim) that still stand out keeping those who use it on W7 well into the future.

Now I will agree with your XP comment on a different bases.  To settle for an old 32Bit OS that can only use 3.5gigs of usable RAM with potential OOM issues in areas like NYC and London makes no since.   W7 64Bit by contrast makes FS9 run faster, makes it more stable, and reliable.  The support issue is mute because those of us using older software like FS9/FSX will be in that boat at some point no matter what.  A good idea for W10 is that it being the last big version release by Microsoft (or so they say).  They realize the old model is not working with entities like the FAA and Navy relying on proprietary software made for the older OS's.  MS's drive to make money is not jiving with businesses proprietary software circumstances and the constant need to upgrade so MS can turn a profit.  MS can make a profit with license fees but whole upgrades every four years is not working.  Getting back to the topic, Windows XP these days is not the performer it once was with the advent of 64bit (and not XP 64bit).  Anyone using FS9 should be on W7 64bit hands down.  It's each person's own choice but one is very limited in fully realizing FS9's performance with a 32bit OS.  I wrote a topic on how to upgrade with the least amount of hassle.  Others have wrote topics about upgrading as well.  The goal whether it be P3D or FSX: SE is to get the most out of your hardware and OS so the sim runs as fluid as possible.  Using FS9 on XP at this point is like running FS9 on half it's cylinders.  To each his own but it makes no since when a better option is out there for performance.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2