Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Windows 10

Just Ignore Jim. He's been a troll since the Active Sky team got rid of him. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

What is surprising with WIn 10 is the compatability settings have no positive affect on FS 9. I've gone back and set it to Win XP. The same issues exist.

Outlaw2001,

Where do you have FS9 installed on your machine? I attempted an upgrade on my desktop machine, but FS9 refused to load (kept asking for Administrator privileges), and it was in the standard Program Files (x86) folder. I'm guessing that maybe you have your FS9 installed somewhere external of the Program Files folders?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. - As someone who is looking for what information he can on FS9/FSX and Windows 10, it's kind of a pain to sift through a bunch of bickering-type messages to find useful information. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation, then why say anything at all? Please keep this conversation on-topic and constructive so those of us looking for answers to our technical difficulties can find them easily. Thank you.)

Because this is the Windows 10 Forum and I have Windows 10 installed, next.

Correct forum but inappropriate thread though Jim. But you know that; you just choose to be a curmudgeonly contrarian... :fool:   =@

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

OK I just re-installed FS9 so that I would be legal, on topic, not a troll, not a anything else.

Win 10 and FS9 work beautifully on my computer. All the graphics show up. All the menus show up both in windowed and full screen mode. I am not using any compatibility modes.

(

Where do you have FS9 installed on your machine? I attempted an upgrade on my desktop machine, but FS9 refused to load (kept asking for Administrator privileges), and it was in the standard Program Files (x86) folder. I'm guessing that maybe you have your FS9 installed somewhere external of the Program Files folders?

I have FS9 installed on a second hard drive with all my other programs. When I installed in on Windows 7 was getting exactly what you are getting...Win 7 asking for Administrator privileges (even with UAC turned off)...turned out to be a real pain. If you can install on second hard drive I would recommend doing so. If you don't have the option...try partitioning your hard drive. 

I had another fluke that I found out about. When I upgraded to Windows 10 the registry lost where FS9 was installed. Renamed Flight Simulator Folder, and did a compact/custom install. Deleted folder, and renamed original folder back to what it was. 

Speaking of bugs...I was able to switch from FS9 (full screen) to the desktop using Alt + tab, and Windows key without any problems...don't how that happened...didn't change any settings. However, when I exited FS9, and restarted...no can do. Had to Alt + Enter to get back to the desktop...Alt + Tab, Windows key would not work.

These are the early stages, and I'm sure Microsoft, and Nvidia are working out the bugs. Until then, hopefully everyone is haing a smooth transition to Windows 10.

Happy Flying

J.R.

These are the early stages, and I'm sure Microsoft, and Nvidia are working out the bugs. Until then, hopefully everyone is haing a smooth transition to Windows 10.

Upgraded to Win 10, really liked it but unable to make FS9 work with it. Tried lots of the suggestions in this thread, to no avail. I have now rolled back to Win 7 64 bit,

as I can do without all the hassle. I am again enjoying my flying with wonderful

smoothness. I will wait for a fix during the coming 11 months,and then try again.

best wishes to all, RegT

Upgraded to Win 10, really liked it but unable to make FS9 work with it. Tried lots of the suggestions in this thread, to no avail. I have now rolled back to Win 7 64 bit,

as I can do without all the hassle. I am again enjoying my flying with wonderful

smoothness. I will wait for a fix during the coming 11 months,and then try again.

best wishes to all, RegT

Wow,

Really sorry it didn't work out for you. I'll be honest...I have never upgraded any computer until all of the kinks are worked out (usually around one year later). However, with Windows 10...I'm pretty much happy that everything worked out for me (first time ever). Still not happy with FS9 having a max frame rate of 60 on my computer...but it's still very smooth. 

As Windows 10 get more developed, and Nvidia upgrades drivers I'm sure in time a Windows 10 upgrade will go smoothly for you. Windows 7 is still being supported by MS until 2022...so by then there might be another operating system out. When that happens we'll be starting another thread with all kinds of new problems...lol!!!

Take Care

J.R.

Greetings again,

Just in case somebody needs this...here are my settings in the NVIDIA control panel (GTX 750 TI):

Anistrophic filtering: 16x

Antialiasing - FXAA: off

Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Use global setting (On)

Antialiasing Mode:  Override any application setting

Antialiasing - setting: 8x

Antialiasing - Transparency: off

CUDA - GPUs: Use global settings (all)

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 4

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Multiple display performance mode

Shader Cache: use global setting (On)

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Texture filtering - Quality: High quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: Use global setting (On)

Threaded optimization: On

Triple buffering: On

Vertical sync: On

Virtual Reality Pre-rendered frames: Use global setting (1)

Everything in FS9 is maxed out except for traffic: 50%. Display: 1920x1080x32

Safe Landings/Take Care

J.R.

J.R.,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can try on my machine. I really like Windows 10 so far (have it on my laptop), but I want to make sure I can get Flight Sim to work properly before I try updating my desktop again.

Cheers!

- J.

Greetings,

I posted this on another topic...just to let people know.

Just found this out last night...thought it was a fluke. Tried to install new scenery into FS9, and received the following error: You do not have permission to install new files on this computer. Please have an administrator log on to complete the scenery installation. I have full Administrative rights, UAC turned off, and made another account that is Admin, and performed a full takeown in cmd.exe. Has anybody experienced this problem??? This is a bad thing, and I'm ready to go back to Windows 7 in a heartbeat...don't need the hastle from Microsoft. Dealt with them for too many years, and just to think everything was working so well. Good thing to find out now prior to the end of the 30 day free trial of Windows 10. Went back to Windows 7 about two hours ago...all is working!!!

Take Care

J.R.

Just upgraded back to Windows 10...FS9 running with still the obvious errors most likely from the NVIDIA drivers. However, I use Active Sky, and right now I can't seem to get that to work with FS9 in full window mode. Going to reinstall, and see what happens. Everything else seems to be running perfectly (Flight Deck Companion, and Ultimate Traffic). I'll post back after reloading Active Sky.

J.R.

Looks like everything is working as it should...including Active Sky.

Nevermind!!! I can run it in window mode, but not full screen. This is starting to suck. Fixed the problem that I had with the first upgrade, now I have problems with active sky after a second upgrade (and it was working in the first upgrade). It's 7:17am...I'm sure it's happy hour somewhere.

Take Care/Cheers

J.R.

Before I ran the Windows 10 Install, I did the compatibility test. Everything, including software, checked as good for Windows 10 to install. I also checked with a local computer shop and they said that Windows 10 was good and, I'd have no issues. They told me if there was problems, I'd be able to roll back to Windows 7. Well all that was lies. FS9 will not load at all, I can only get FSRealWx and the Screensaver program to run. When I try and run FS9 (even as administrator), nothing happens. Windows 10 will not let me uninstall FS9 (for re-install), that causes a freeze up. I cannot roll back to Windows 7, says the Windows 7 files were removed. I use to be able to save images and text files in my Pictures and Documents folders, can't do that anymore in Windows 10. I refuse to install FSX, to complicated for this old dog.

I've installed and uninstalled twice since upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1.  FS9 ran under 8.1 okay.  On both installs, I used Express install and let it choose location (...Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9 ).  When trying to run, nothing happens.  No error messages - nothing.  I've tried compatibility modes for xp, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 with same results.  Any ideas?  Can't understand why some are having success with Windows 10 and others aren't.

Thanks for any help.

What's good for one computer...may not be good for another. I went back to Windows 7 the other day. Had two different problems with two upgrades to W10. To LarryF & RetiredinColorado have you try uninstalling FS9 in safe mode??? If it doesn't allow you to uninstall...what I would suggest is renaming the FS9 folder, and try installing again. If unable to rename folder/uninstall in safe mode...do it in another operating system such a Kubuntu. Burn the iso to a dvd, and run it...don't install the OS. Navigate to the FS9 folder, and rename from there. Afterwards reboot back into W10. Run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner to get rid of traces of the flight simulator. Afterwards try reinstalling the FS. Let us know what happens.

J.R.

P.S. Kubuntu can be found here: http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu