Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Windows 10

After the Windows 10 install, fs9 did not launch.   It kept asking me to type the administrator password.

Uninstalled fs9 - no problem even with the admin password.  Reinstalled fs9 - no problem.  Installed fs9.1 update also - no problem.   fs9 still did not launch.

Tried to reset fs9 defaults. Still did not launch.

I have not yet tried to clear my registry but this is becoming a pain.

I could run CCleaner, but I would have to install it first. I have one called Registry Cleaner but I will have to find it under the Win 10 app list. I am finding that I have to go back to DOS command window to find some apps like Paint!

All the flights I created are on a backup drive so I hope I can bring them back once fs9 is working.

Basically, has anyone succeeded in reinstalling fs9 on Windows 10 yet?  Like those who posted above, I have had no success.

I could run CCleaner, but I would have to install it first. I have one called Registry Cleaner but I will have to find it under the Win 10 app list. I am finding that I have to go back to DOS command window to find some apps like Paint!

The Windows apps like paint are located in the Windows\system32 folder. Just a few questions for ya. Do you have the UAC settings turned off, and did you have administrative rights on your old OS??? One thing you can try is right click on the FS9.exe (or shortcut), and press "Run as Administrator". Another thing would be setup another account as Administrator, and reload FS9 (turn off the UAC) before reloading.

J.R.

Outlaw2001it,

I have not tried to turn off the user account control settings in win 10 yet.  I'll try that. I am thinking of doing a complete uninstall, then running a registry cleaner and getting everything related to fs9 off the computer and starting again.

During my Windows and Graphic Driver Update attempts to fix this, I did get this message: " Service registration is missing or corrupt - not fixed".  

I was wondering if fs9 is looking for my fs9 registration number now that I have installed win 10 and can't find it?  

Still nothing happens even after updating my Intel graphic driver for Win 10 as well as copying a non-CD version of the fs9.exe app.  

Basically, after clicking on run fs9, it always asks for the UAC password, then you notice that something is running on the PC, but nothing happens.

fs9 seemed to reinstall normally after it asked for the UAC , but when you try to run fs9.exe once installed, it still asks you for the administrator password, but nothing happens.

FS9 doesn't have registration numbers, it has SafeDisk and SafeDisk is not going to run under Win 10.

Outlaw2001it,

I have not tried to turn off the user account control settings in win 10 yet.  I'll try that. I am thinking of doing a complete uninstall, then running a registry cleaner and getting everything related to fs9 off the computer and starting again.

During my Windows and Graphic Driver Update attempts to fix this, I did get this message: " Service registration is missing or corrupt - not fixed".  

I was wondering if fs9 is looking for my fs9 registration number now that I have installed win 10 and can't find it?  

Still nothing happens even after updating my Intel graphic driver for Win 10 as well as copying a non-CD version of the fs9.exe app.  

Basically, after clicking on run fs9, it always asks for the UAC password, then you notice that something is running on the PC, but nothing happens.

fs9 seemed to reinstall normally after it asked for the UAC , but when you try to run fs9.exe once installed, it still asks you for the administrator password, but nothing happens.

Did some research, the Service registration is missing or corrupt has been a topic on the MS forums....https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-10-service-registration-is-missing-or/a2bfb3c3-665f-4f22-92d9-cf82f0a950be?page=2.

If you read down in the posts you should find the information that may fix the problem(s) that you are having. The  Service registration is missing or corrupt seems more of an W10 issue that FS9. After reading posts from here, and other forums...seems that people are getting different (weird) upgrade issues. I got two different issues on two different upgrades...back on W7. I can suggest going back to your previous version of Windows, and trying to upgrade again to see if you get the same error, or something different, or maybe nothing at all. But before doing that check out the link, and see if it helps any. Let us know what happens...good luck!!!

J.R.

I ended up calling the Microsoft Windows Answer Desk.  Initially, he said I did not have Win 10 activated. Once he took control of my computer and had a look at the system info he said it was activated. I kept pressing him from the "activation key" info as he wanted me to contact the PC & Games Answer Desk. Here is the exchange on that point:

3:02 pm

One last question before you give me the toll free no. Do I need to put an activation key in Win 10 under settings, updates and security, activation?

3:04 pm

No need.

​Even if I got an "activation key", I doubt it would have worked. I also believe I got the "Service Registration missing or corrupt" after I tried installing the fs9.1 update. I am not sure if it installed.

I also turned off the Win 10 user account control (UAC) settings. I had to reboot twice after that to get back into my system. No blue screen, just a black screen. Still no luck getting fs9.exe to launch even with the UAC off.

The guy at Microsoft PC and Games Answer Desk told me that they do not support fs9, only FSX. He said to run msinfo32 to see what drivers needed to be updated. Did that. They are all up to date even the Intel Graphics Display drivers I have. He also said that Win 10 is a Lattice version which I did not understand. The bottom line from him was to install FSX and he passed me over to the MS Sales department.  When the girl at the MS Regional Centre finally answered, she had never heard of Microsoft Flight Simulator. It wasn't on her list of products, so as far as she was concerned it didn't exist. Unbelievable, but true!  You might as well talk to Siri.

In conclusion, I see that you can download  Microsoft FSX here:  http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/default.aspx

I guess that is my next move if no one has a solution for fs9.

I hope this saves someone a lot of time if they have the same query.  I wish I knew how some people got their fs9 to operate on Win 10.  There is probably a register you can change somewhere. Please post if you find the answer.

ALXB,

Did you go back to your previous version of Windows, and try d/l'ing the upgrade again???

Sorry the W10 upgrade didn't work out for you...but W7/W8 will still be supported until 2020/2023. If you have money spent in FS9 (like myself, and others), and can't get the upgrade to work...go back to your original OS. 

I chatted with MS, and they told me that FS9 is no longer supported (which I already knew), but I figured that since FS9 is their simulator...they may want to throw some support for people who upgraded to W10.

You can always try installing FS9 on another drive. If you don't have another drive...partition the drive you have, and try reinstalling on the new partition.

Let us know about the going back to previous version of Windows, and any other problems going on. 

J.R.

Hellooo outlaw2001it !

Success!!!   I didn't have to go back to win 7/8. It is working on Win 10! I hope this works for everyone.

First, I will assume fs9 is installed correctly (no errors) and your drivers have been checked out and updated for Win 10 OS. I had to update an Intel HD Graphics Driver for Win 10 and restart.

Step One -  In Win 10  log in as the Administrator or Owner. Don't use any other User Account. (Been there. Done that) Explains why those with only one user account got fs9 to work.

Step Two - When logged in as the Administrator or Owner find fs9 and launch it.  It might be buried under Microsoft Games.

Step Three - the installation of fs9 will begin and scenery will be loaded, etc. etc.

Step Four - You will be​ asked to install DirectPlay. Say yes and hopefully Win 10 will find it and install it. (You may have to restart, but I didn't)

Step Five - Blank screen appears (Don't panic!)   Just press ALT-ENTER and Mr. and Mrs. King will show up on the fs9 screen you will all recognize.

Step Six - I picked a flight and once it loaded, I expanded the display to the full screen and flew around a bit.

What a relief!   This worked for me and perhaps it will not work for anyone else. All I have to do now, is log in as the Administrator or Owner and start MS Flight Sim from there. Not a big deal.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Glad everything worked out, and hopefully the above solution will help out others. 

Take Care

J.R.

Thanks for all your help JR. Much appreciated. 

There were a couple of other files that people may want to install: 

1. An MS Download of the fs9 upgrade to 9.1   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=9727

2. An MS Flt Sim 2004 v9.1 Patch for the fs9.exe application so you don't need your CD in the tray.

<LINK VIOLATES EULA - REMOVED BY ADMINS>

Edited by Chase Kreznor
Member posted NO CD patch link

Hellooo outlaw2001it !

Success!!!   I didn't have to go back to win 7/8. It is working on Win 10! I hope this works for everyone.

First, I will assume fs9 is installed correctly (no errors) and your drivers have been checked out and updated for Win 10 OS. I had to update an Intel HD Graphics Driver for Win 10 and restart.

Step One -  In Win 10  log in as the Administrator or Owner. Don't use any other User Account. (Been there. Done that) Explains why those with only one user account got fs9 to work.

Step Two - When logged in as the Administrator or Owner find fs9 and launch it.  It might be buried under Microsoft Games.

Step Three - the installation of fs9 will begin and scenery will be loaded, etc. etc.

Step Four - You will be​ asked to install DirectPlay. Say yes and hopefully Win 10 will find it and install it. (You may have to restart, but I didn't)

Step Five - Blank screen appears (Don't panic!)   Just press ALT-ENTER and Mr. and Mrs. King will show up on the fs9 screen you will all recognize.

Step Six - I picked a flight and once it loaded, I expanded the display to the full screen and flew around a bit.

What a relief!   This worked for me and perhaps it will not work for anyone else. All I have to do now, is log in as the Administrator or Owner and start MS Flight Sim from there. Not a big deal.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

The big question is can you access the menus in full screen mode?  Second how many add-ons work under Windows 10/FS9?  We lost most of Dreamfleet's work with W7 64bit.  What works and doesn't work under W10 is the next big question/issue?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillion,

The following programs do run on W10/FS9..but it could also be hit, or miss:

Active Sky 

FSGenesis

Ultimate Terrain

REX

EVO

GE Pro

Various paid scenery from Flytampa, Aerosoft...etc.

I didn't have problems running any programs until my second attempt to upgrade to W10...Active Sky wouldn't launch (hit, or miss). As for any paid addon aircraft (Dreamfleet, PMDG...etc) I don't have that info. Other free addon aircraft from Dreamwings, Posky, various aircraft from AVSIM...etc seem to work fine from what I could tell when I was running W10/FS9. 

I had no problems accessing any menus at full screen/windowed. However, I could not go to the desktop/another program from full screen using either the Windows key, or alt + tab...had to go into window mode, and resize it. Other people have had problems with accessing menus...etc. MS isn't any help...no longer supporting FS9. As long as people keep posting possible fixes, or ask questions about W10/FS9...we're on our own.

Happy Flying

J.R.

FS9 doesn't have registration numbers, it has SafeDisk and SafeDisk is not going to run under Win 10.

I understand the issue with SafeDisc and as you say, FS9 won't run under Win 10 because of it.  MS choosing safety over support of the older games.  However, I'm confused that some seem to have it running, and others like myself cannot get it to run.  Are there possibly different versions of FS9, some with SafeDisc and some without?​