Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

Looks like REX has released Weather Architect.

This looks very nice.

I'm going to wait a bit and see FPS reports but if what they say is true (only loads once and that's it) then this will be a winner in so many ways :)

@PaulGR - A video was done by Ben at Airline2Sim and he clocked between 28 to 30 frames per second during very heavy weather.

Ok, thanks for confirming.  Think I'll pass, life is too short to design weather systems.....

Roll on Weather Direct!

@Flying Penguin - Life is to short to wait for weather to fly in if there isn't much.  Weather Architect gives you the ability to make really challenging weather.  Or if you don't want to take time to create weather you can click a button and load a community theme already created.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

@Flying Penguin - Life is to short to wait for weather to fly in if there isn't much.  Weather Architect gives you the ability to make really challenging weather.  Or if you don't want to take time to create weather you can click a button and load a community theme already created.

Yeah, not my sort of flying.  I take it as it comes, good or bad.  

I agree, one thing about weather is it is unpredictable, by creating it you are taking that away and know exactly what you have created, not realistic.

ASN pretty much has weather systems covered for me with REX4 textures.

@ytzpilot - I am not sure how you can't see predictable weather with real weather engines also.  With real weather engines you search for weather at an airport, print out flight plans, look at weather radar.  Flight Sim totally lacks the full quality of real life weather that is ever so dynamic.  Weather Architect was never meant to create real weather, but allows you enjoy weather when you don't have any.  For the VFR user creating severe crossing winds or a fog bank, for the long haul - actually experience FULL weather from point A to point B even across the oceans.

Hi Ben (and Bob who posted as I was typing) Thanks that does the trick with FSX-SE, that or have it up and running with the flight loaded before clicking Fly Now. With P3Dv2.5 it will load up from scratch with the weather theme you have created. I guess this was something I overlooked when having a quick read through.

I am still disappointed that there seems no way to draw weather that is not raining, again, unless I missing something. If not, this seems a big oversight to me. Selecting the Global cumulus setting does not seem to add the desired amount of cloud (if any) to fill in the spaces you have drawn, same with cirrus, which is always very sparse. Both at 8/8...

It is nice to see a massive storm you've drawn many miles away doing its thing, so that is interesting, but other than that it feels a bit lacking. It also highlights how rubbish P3D is at drawing clouds, they really are horrible compared to FSX.

Edit just to add. It would be nice to have some control over cloud base and height, plus the ability to edit your themes rather that having to start from scratch.

@Novation - We considered offering the ability to create just non-precipitation clouds in space.  This is definitely something we can look into.  We have many features we had to put on the chopping block, mainly because of time.  We are also considering a simple Random weather generator button so you can just click and go.  

Let me address why we did not allow the changing of cloud bases and heights.   We actually did a 5 month study setting clouds manually within FSX/P3D by type, base, height, and coverage.   We found some remarkable results.  We preset many of them because we found these settings gave a more full and rich cloud pattern experience.   By allowing users to change this dramatically caused less than acceptable results.  Storm fronts looked wimpy.   We do allow a user to change the lower cloud base coverage, but that is the extent of it.  We did this because we wanted to make sure people get the best experience possible.

Yeah, not my sort of flying.  I take it as it comes, good or bad.  

No worries

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

@Novation - We considered offering the ability to create just non-precipitation clouds in space. This is definitely something we can look into. We have many features we had to put on the chopping block, mainly because of time. We are also considering a simple Random weather generator button so you can just click and go.

Let me address why we did not allow the changing of cloud bases and heights. We actually did a 5 month study setting clouds manually within FSX/P3D by type, base, height, and coverage. We found some remarkable results. We preset many of them because we found these settings gave a more full and rich cloud pattern experience. By allowing users to change this dramatically caused less than acceptable results. Storm fronts looked wimpy. We do allow a user to change the lower cloud base coverage, but that is the extent of it. We did this because we wanted to make sure people get the best experience possible.

From the top bold points - I do hope this is included. Making weather without allowing fair or non-precipitating conditions is crazy as far as I'm concerned. Random weather seems a pointless waste of time, as this is for those who want to make their own weather.

Maybe you need to call this app Storm Maker, or something, as being an architect should allow you to configure all of the possible variables available. To say sorry you can't do this because you might make it look bad is disappointing to say the least. I can make weather look far better than this app using my own height parameters in the custom weather settings (if a lot slower) and find the base/top heights you chose look a bit wimpy to be honest. All you need to add is some guidelines about how height settings affect the way cloud are drawn and allow us to do what we want, which I thought was the point of this.

As it stands the UI is good but its just too limiting overall. Sadly I'll just go back to making my own weather in sim and hope you implement some of the above.

Does a relevant market exist for this product?  In my interactions with simmers, it appears most want products that reduce their flight panning time while maintaining a sense of "realism."  To that end, I really don't have any desire to add another 20/30 mins to my pre flight planning routine, especially when the product negates the "as real as it gets" philosophy.  My initial thought was this product seems to be destined for the bargain basement bin, ala Rex Latitude.  However, there seems to be some interested as indicated by this thread; so, perhaps the product will be a winner for REX.  It just doesn't fit my personal flying experience; however, it will take a revolutionary product to get me to switch from ASN, which I view as the pinnacle of Flt Sim WX engines..  

Matt King

Does a relevant market exist for this product

"most want products that reduce their flight panning time"

Nor do I thats why I use community created ones easy and also airport to aiport runs are fun as I may have not thought of it and its done for me

Rich Sennett

I just use a free weather engine for FSX and prepar3d called FSWX it works great gives me real time real world weather and has no FPS impact.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

"Nor do I thats why I use community created ones easy and also airport to aiport runs are fun as I may have not thought of it and its done for me"

Then what's the point, Rich?  If you're not using the program to create weather, how is that different then employing the weather created by nature?  In that regard, someone/something is creating the weather.... 

Matt King

The point  of  the addon is  to create your own weather, so   if your only  flying  in your home  state  and  want  to fly in fog  conditions or  whatever   conditions  you like,  you can set it  on your needs.

I just use a free weather engine for FSX and prepar3d called FSWX it works great gives me real time real world weather and has no FPS impact

Start your own thead if  you want  to discuss  live weather  engines  since this thread is  about  the  Wa 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Fair enough, Peter.  However, in that regards, don't the competitors allow you to create weather at your home airport?  I'm fairly certain ASN has a "manual" mode, which allows you to set weather to your specifications.  To that end, it's also a "weather architect."  This feels like a product strong on marketing but weak on new features; specifically, there's nothing new here....  

Matt King

Actually WA has not been marketed at all really maybe the reason why all of the questions - rex has not promoted this at all compared to their other products - I haven't seen more than a few pics of this and a couple of videos - knowing rex's track record I didnt question it and I like the concept - good luck spending all that time creating the weather conditions you speak of oh and the fps hit you will have compared to WA

Rich Sennett

Actually WA has not been marketed at all really maybe the reason why all of the questions - rex has not promoted this at all compared to their other products - I haven't seen more than a few pics of this and a couple of videos - knowing rex's track record I didnt question it and I like the concept - good luck spending all that time creating the weather conditions you speak of oh and the fps hit you will have compared to WA

Thank you, I will continue to enjoy what is widely considered the best weather product for serious simmers.  Additionally, as another gentlemen mentioned, I prefer not to spend my time creating weather; instead, I spend my time flying...in conditions presented by "mother nature" (e.g. live weather).  This is a must when flying online.  Concerning FPS hits, I have a robust computer and avg 50 FPS in any setting; however, if i didn't, there are numerous options to reduce the impact on frames. Enjoy the product you bought to create weather; yet, don't actually use to create weather yourself!?  See, I can be condescending too...   

Matt King

Thank you, I will continue to enjoy what is widely considered the best weather product for serious simmers. Additionally, as another gentlemen mentioned, I prefer not to spend my time creating weather; instead, I spend my time flying...in conditions presented by "mother nature" (e.g. live weather).

Then what the hell are you doing trolling in this thread, Mr. Serious Simmer? :angry: there's always one or two  :Yawn: 

I guess I'm not a serious simmer, as I sometimes (mostly actually) like to create my own scenarios, including weather. I sometimes fly at times of day different to the one I'm in, or an airfield on the other side of the world, which I'll never see in real life, oh well.

This product, getting back to the topic, is going to be a niche market and I'm sure REX realise that, it just seems like they didn't take it far enough for those of us who like to create. For me its a damp (pun intended) squib.

I guess I'm not a serious simmer, as I sometimes (mostly actually) like to create my own scenarios, including weather. I sometimes fly at times of day different to the one I'm in, or an airfield on the other side of the world, which I'll never see in real life, oh wel

I was simply responding to the obvious condescension in the post above mine; It's called satire, Novation...my lord.  BTW, why is that you feel qualified to critique the product, but other opinions don't matter?  

This product, getting back to the topic, is going to be a niche market and I'm sure REX realise that, it just seems like they didn't take it far enough for those of us who like to create. For me its a damp (pun intended) squib

BTW, you and I share the exact same sentiment.  REX appears to have created a product for a very niche market within an already niche market, but probably didn't go far enough to satisfy the former.  That paradigm formed the crux of my query; specifically, is there a large enough market to support such a product.  IMO, I don't think so; yet, time will tell....

You seem to be sensitive about your preferred simming methodologies; I apologize for upsetting your sensibilities.... 

Matt King