Sign in to follow this  
doorstep

FSX with the DX10 Fixer

Gives me 'artifacts' before the first hours flight is up!

Changing back to DX9 gives me no artifacts using the same 'fsx.cfg'.

So, please tell me what is wrong please?

RTM

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

RTM

-Jim

I hope that is constructive advice Jim and not just a spontaneous answer?

Well I RTFM and read something about using ATI cards and already had the settings advised and the graphic driver too but it was of no help at all.

AMD introduced an incompatibility in 2012 with their drivers which causes spikes with fsx running in dx10 mode. The only 100% solution is to use a very old driver from 2012. Failing that the problem can be reduced to a level most people find acceptable by setting the water slider in fsx to no more than 2.low and setting AA to a maximum of 4x. Setting either setting higher guarantees problems within 10 mins of starting a flight.

I stress this on the purchase page with a warning link to a page which outlines this issue in more detail. On that page I suggest that anyone with an AMD card test extensively running dx10 preview before purchase.

I hope that is constructive advice Jim and not just a spontaneous answer?

RTM= Read The Manual.  I was giving the short answer, not trying to be sarcastic.

As I see you read the manual and on top of that, you have an ATI card, then it gets a little more involved, but again, i see you got some better response from Steve...who is God. 

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

AMD introduced an incompatibility in 2012 with their drivers which causes spikes with fsx running in dx10 mode. The only 100% solution is to use a very old driver from 2012. Failing that the problem can be reduced to a level most people find acceptable by setting the water slider in fsx to no more than 2.low and setting AA to a maximum of 4x. Setting either setting higher guarantees problems within 10 mins of starting a flight.

I stress this on the purchase page with a warning link to a page which outlines this issue in more detail. On that page I suggest that anyone with an AMD card test extensively running dx10 preview before purchase.

I tried with an old (free) version first, before deciding to buy, and everything seems to be right with 2 exceptions:

- The other day for some reason I was just sitting on the runway and EVERYTHING started to freak out... seemed like I was in polygon hell... not sure what happened but double checked the settings, went to the same place, same aircraft (default 172) and for now it did not happen again (I'm talking about the plane completely immersed in polygons for scenery...)

- *Some* buildings sometimes flicker, and then that flickering may go of. Same for some spots of scenery, and some very small areas also show some flicker that on close inspection seem to be as if a texture below it want to show appearing and disappearing real fast..)

I have a Radeon (R9 290) and my settings are at 4X for AA nad low 2x for water.

Also is this still relevant this day and age of using radeon pro??

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421849-dx10-fixer-atiamd-aa-and-vsync-guide/

Thanka!!

Yes as far as I know that post is still relevant.

I would also advise downloading the dx10 how to guide from nzfsim for further advice.

Make sure your texture max load value is set correctly. Run diagnostics in the dx10 controller to see if it can see anything wrong.

Yes as far as I know that post is still relevant.

I would also advise downloading the dx10 how to guide from nzfsim for further advice.

Make sure your texture max load value is set correctly. Run diagnostics in the dx10 controller to see if it can see anything wrong.

Thanks! I have the steam edition, so it's automatically at 4096. Speaking of which, I read some docs/posts what the fixer supports steam edition in a side-by-side setup with FSX and FSX:SE, but does it select which one it will act on besides the install dir? (And is it limited to 1 sim, meaning you can't use it for both at the same time?)

The current version can be moved to another fsx instance by uninstalling the libraries, changing the instal path in the controller tool and installing into the new location. It retains all your settings. The next version will support two installations at once.

The current version can be moved to another fsx instance by uninstalling the libraries, changing the instal path in the controller tool and installing into the new location. It retains all your settings. The next version will support two installations at once.

Hmm ok, but what I meant was, after you select the path, how does it know if that's the regular or SE and the paths to check/modify for deleting the cache, etc? (I assume all it needs/touches is in the main fsx folder and then the shaders folder under apodata/local?

Ah no it figures it out. It detects whether it is fsx or fsx se, and then sees if there's. Fsx se directory under appdata. It isn't totally foolproof in rare circumstances but most of the time it will be right.