Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

DCS: F/A-18C

1 hour ago, charlie130 said:

When it's finished, the DCS Hornet will be compelling in the DCS battlefield environment that can be created with their excellent mission planner. At the moment, it's a work in progress.

Superb post and very accurate.  I love DCS i have owned it since the first Black Shark module i bought from Russia but progess is so slow; it's littered with half complete, eclectic modules of varying quality.  In many ways it reminds me of the old Amiga flight sim Birds of Prey  I want DCS to be my 'go to' military sim, but i find myself still returning to BMS.

Ian R Tyldesley

The Hornet did receive a sizable update this week...

DCS F/A-18C

• Added carrier cold start instant action missions
  • Nose gear shuttle will be attach to catapult correctly.
  • Gear strut uncompression corrected.
  • The aiming of CBU corrected.
  • Waypoint number can be changed on Waypoint Data page.
  • MDI's blank when trying to export to other displays - fixed.
  • Removed 2*Mk-83 from center pylon.
  • Unable to select AG weapon after launching AIM-7 - fixed.
  • Carrier deck. After connecting launch bar to the shuttle, player can disconnect with second key U press.
  • TACAN TTG indication errors - fixed.
  • "AA Gun and AIM-9 Sidewinder" mission corrected.
  • Course line disappears with 5 and 10 scales - fixed.
  • Added abeam distance to course line.
  • Gen Tie fixed.
  • Added third option for throttle afterburner detent.
  • UFC doesn't display TACAN channel and status when it's OFF - fixed.
  • TACAN callsign is missing on DDI and HUD until TCN audio volume is greater than zero - fixed.
  • Selective jettison releases rack instead stores - fixed.
  • Holes in gear bays - fixed.
  • Corrected fuel tanks pressurization cautions.
  • Mk-82 Snakeye bomb always releases retarded - fixed.
  • Caution EXT XFER is missing when external fuel available with BINGO state - fixed.
  • Rocket pods can't be jettisoned without BRU-33 - fixed.
  • Rocket pods can't be jettisoned from BRU-33 after rocket launch - fixed.
  • AIM-7 on LAU-115 jettison - corrected.
  • LAU-115 can't be normally jettisoned after missile launch - fixed.
  • Single bomb can't be jettisoned with RACK/LCHR option selected - fixed.
  • Current weapon is deselected after priority weapon has been jettisoned - fixed.
  • Priority weapon station doesn't save - fixed.
  • Radar too easily losing contacts - fixed.
  • Systems still energized by external power despite ExtPWR switches are disabled - fixed.

I Think DCS is making steady progress,It will take some time to have all the Hornets systems available to us,We just have to be patient and enjoy it as it progresses.

I had Falcon 4.0 way back when😊 It was great!! I never tried BMS but have heard it's Fantastic!! DCS does have a F-16 in development also.   

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Yep, already enjoying very much what we currently have with the Hornet.

Things will only get better.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

On 7/4/2018 at 10:00 PM, WotanUK said:

Superb post and very accurate.  I love DCS i have owned it since the first Black Shark module i bought from Russia but progess is so slow; it's littered with half complete, eclectic modules of varying quality.  In many ways it reminds me of the old Amiga flight sim Birds of Prey  I want DCS to be my 'go to' military sim, but i find myself still returning to BMS.

Ahhh, an Amiga man!  I remember those days we'll!

You're correct about incomplete modules. For the most part they get the aircraft "flavour" correct. The A10c is the only "go to" module for accuracy, but then again they developed it with the Air National Guard training pilots modules, so it's complete and so are the weapons! The same can be said for the KA-50, but few have ever seen one in action, nevermind flown one!

It took ED nearly a year to fix the HUD visibility on the NTTR map, such was the brightness of the sky/terrain the HUD symbology was not visible. I did a "moaning" video which highlighted the issue and after hinting at the Ultra Violet HUD filters that are fitted, in the real aircraft, they got on board an added a blueish filter to the HUD's!

Personally, I like the mission planner in DCS, it's hours of creative pleasure, with the right modules. Only limited by the geographical map areas.

If you fly the VRS Superbug and use FSX@War, CCP and FSCAI you can create scenarios in P3dv4. These scenarios have the benefit of world wide geography, so anyone can create missions anywhere. But these don't have the if,else,then,and,or type programming available in the DCS Mission Planner.

The VRS Superbug has a high level of accuracy for simulating the Hornet "e". I think if ED aim to integrate the VRS  level of features I will be enjoying the DCS Hornet. This may take some time, as they need to "beta" test  each avionic/weapon addition. Hopefully, successfully, without breaking something else in the sim? But for now, jumping back into the VRS Superbug, in P3dv4, is my preference. 

Happy simming. 

Best regards

David

***update from Wags*** 

"
Many new items coming next week:

1- Aircraft no longer slide on the carrier deck, at any carrier speed.
2- STT track will not switch lock uncommanded.
3- RADAR SIL (radar silence) and STBY mode has been implemented. See image.
4- RWR display logic has been further improved, with critical threat lines added. See image.
5- Option on ME to select single or ripple release (was not in fact merged for last update)
6- DUD cue added for when HT or fuze setting is below current aircraft AGL. See image.
7- RWS page SET and weapon and count added when a weapon is in priority. See image.
8- Night Vision Goggles (NVG) added. See image.
9- Instrumented Carrier Landing System (ICLS) added. See image.

Screen_180713_131617.png

Screen_180713_132034.png

Screen_180713_133118.jpg

Screen_180713_133519.jpg

Screen_180713_133931.png

Patrick

Patrick

On 7/13/2018 at 9:59 PM, Phantom88 said:

***update from Wags*** 

"
Many new items coming next week:

1- Aircraft no longer slide on the carrier deck, at any carrier speed.
2- STT track will not switch lock uncommanded.
3- RADAR SIL (radar silence) and STBY mode has been implemented. See image.
4- RWR display logic has been further improved, with critical threat lines added. See image.
5- Option on ME to select single or ripple release (was not in fact merged for last update)
6- DUD cue added for when HT or fuze setting is below current aircraft AGL. See image.
7- RWS page SET and weapon and count added when a weapon is in priority. See image.
8- Night Vision Goggles (NVG) added. See image.
9- Instrumented Carrier Landing System (ICLS) added. See image.

Screen_180713_131617.png

Screen_180713_132034.png

Screen_180713_133118.jpg

Screen_180713_133519.jpg

Screen_180713_133931.png

Welcome news, unfortunately these "updates" appear to be restricted to the beta branch of 2.5.......

I run 2.5.2, release, non beta, version. So still have a disappointing, feature light aircraft. Placeholder features everywhere! I say dissapointing, because I again compare DCS Hornet to the VRS Superbug. 

Today I tried a carrier take off from the Stennis. Ended up in the drink due to no cat launch? Probably my failure to find the correct key to use the cat? There is no key listed in controls. Looking at the leading edge wing and fuselage, I see jagged edges, like using FSX with no antialiasing. Also the cockpit looks lower resolution than the Mirage, with a less than convincing rendering. The moving map impossible  to read unless I zoom in close. Also the map contrast and brightness controls are not implemented. No doubt all this is a work in progress?

So I went up in the FA/18e over Lossiemouth, Harpooned some ships, JDAM'd some targets, AMRAAM'd some Bears and assuaged my angst!😞

Hello David

Yes,The updates come to BETA 1st then if all bugs are sorted to RELEASE version.Should be very soon.

If you try Carrier takeoff mission from the Hornet instant action section,You shouldn't need any keys to launch,simply go to MILITARY POWER and you will be launched. If in another mission I Believe The "U" Key Enables the launch bar .

As for the Cockpit Resolution and AA i Can only suggest try adjusting your settings

Yes,I Agree The Moving Map is difficult to use,There is a push button on top of the MFD That allows you to increase "The Scale" of the map to zoom in on your aircraft and location.This does help.

The VRS Superbug is an Amazing Product,I had it for FS2004.FSX and P3D and really enjoyed it in all versions,Sadly I ran out of Hard Drive space on my PC so I haven't kept up with P3D versions or VRS Superbug updates.

Hope some of this helps,Cheers and Happy Flying😉 

Patrick

Patrick

***mini update*** 
"
Next month we plan to bring the AIM-120 and AIM-9X to DCS: F/A-18C! As you can see, the Hornet can carry a lot of hurt."
attachment.php?attachmentid=62199&stc=1
Attached Images Attached Images

Patrick

37760497_10160744768230341_7348932761375

Patrick

On 7/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, Phantom88 said:

Hello David

Yes,The updates come to BETA 1st then if all bugs are sorted to RELEASE version.Should be very soon.

If you try Carrier takeoff mission from the Hornet instant action section,You shouldn't need any keys to launch,simply go to MILITARY POWER and you will be launched. If in another mission I Believe The "U" Key Enables the launch bar .

As for the Cockpit Resolution and AA i Can only suggest try adjusting your settings

Yes,I Agree The Moving Map is difficult to use,There is a push button on top of the MFD That allows you to increase "The Scale" of the map to zoom in on your aircraft and location.This does help.

The VRS Superbug is an Amazing Product,I had it for FS2004.FSX and P3D and really enjoyed it in all versions,Sadly I ran out of Hard Drive space on my PC so I haven't kept up with P3D versions or VRS Superbug updates.

Hope some of this helps,Cheers and Happy Flying😉 

Hi Patrick.

You need to grab an SSD and update to latest Tacpack and Superbug. It's so darned good I rarely fly anything else in P3dv4. Factoring the Javier carriers, SSW Coral Sea and AI Ships, with some FSX@War CCP and the only thing I miss is the DCS Mission planner! The Superbug (18e) is close to the C block 20 that ED are modelling in DCS, apart from all 4 multipurpose DDI's being able to show TV/FLIR and with full zoom, selectable hot/cold imaging.....Both models can carry stand off JSOW and ALCM with GPS targeting.....LANTIRN with laser optics. The only known issue with the Superbug is the "known" limitation of it's laser designator. VRS actually use the radar designator code to "emulate" the LST. So when you over fly the target, you loose laser track, since the LANTIRN pod isn't really tracking anything..... nothing's  quite perfect but I guess it's 95%!

Re DCS....

Thanks for the heads up. I can start a mission on the Stennis and power up to activate the cat. The trouble starts after a trap and I position on the shuttle, for a re launch?  Then the cat doesn't work and I end up in the drink. The shuttle doesn't appear to recognise the aircraft for a re launch? I haven't managed to re launch, but it may be a beta improvement in the works?

The AA radar in my 2.5.2 release Hornet is a real puzzle. It's obviously not nearly finished. There's no way I can go from RWS to STT after bugging and designating. There is no mode switching, so can't interleave etc. Range is good 15 nm, elevation is good and azimuth is near center. After designation I loose all RWS contacts (Mig 29) and end up using the radar warning receiver to locate the AI Migs?

If/when ED get all the c block 20 kit into the aircraft I will be properly impressed. I fear it may take some time, since the systems that need coding are very complex. As it stands now, the DCS Hornet (release 2.5.2) is less capable than a DCS Mig 21. The Mig 21 radar is more effective in AA mode, neither has any ground radar.

Best regards.

David

• Upvote 1

Hornet update today for Stable Version.....

F/A-18C

• Second (third, fourth) client now can be spawned on 2nd (3rd, 4th) catapult when 1st CAT is busy
  • Radar in STT mode will not jump to another target without players action
  • Radar SIL and STBY modes realized
  • S (single) and R (Ripple) weapons loading options added
  • Selected A/A weapon is no more displayed on radar page in RWS mode
  • Night vision goggles added
  • COMM: Manually entered frequency will no more appears in channels settings
  • Random crash when F/A-18C spawned on carrier catapult in multiplayer fixed
  • Carrier ICLS system realized
  • Radar: roll and pitch stabilization system improved when user changes elevation by discrete button commands

Patrick

great  now  to update

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg