Sign in to follow this  
RancidViper

Taking the plunge to P3D!

Now that was funny Bert.

That said, don't you see us all over at P3D in the not so distant future?  

I am not so sure... FSX runs very well for me on a dedicated SSD, a Haswell CPU @4.0, coupled with a GTX770, and fast GSkill memory..

There would have to be some really big breakthrough for me to abandon my hangar full of planes with Reality XP gauges..

For now, I am staying put..

Bert

I hear ya.  I have a lot of addons too.  At this point I am looking into it.   

Question for you.  Do you have any stutters?  I was talking with my local computer store today and we were thinking that with that sort of power and the higher GPU, that should eliminate most of them, my thoughts are too with the SSD and the faster access, I would think stutters ought to be eliminated.  

He further stated that all might be for not with the upgrades.  He has a commercial demo version of Windows 10  Looks very nice.  The thoughts are DX12 is going to be included.  Windows 10 and DX12 are geared towards gamers along with a lot of other features.  

Any thoughts, ideas I'd appreciate.  

Respectfully,

Jet

"I would think stutters ought to be eliminated"

No such thing as a stutter free flightsim but a fraction of them in P3D compared to FSX and you can turn something down to help with that

Windows 10 pro - its excellent s far and I havent even done a fresh install yet - should get even better

Rich Sennett

That is GREAT news!  Did it come with DX12?

I did the DX10 upgrade a while ago and that helped FSX out a bunch.  I did the NickN install, Avsim Guide, then DX10 and have yet to go back to DX9  So I (with others) have high hopes for DX 12.

I've seen that you have recommended P3D to other simmers.  I like the idea if for no reason, somebody, anybody, is at the helm with support and it looks like we will see improvements etc unlike FSX.  So I am preparing for the leap.  LOL

Respectfully,

Jet

That is GREAT news!  Did it come with DX12?

Yes - get leaping what are you waiting for nothing is going to happen to fsx - bet on it - if it does not much

Rich Sennett

Question for you.  Do you have any stutters?  I was talking with my local computer store today and we were thinking that with that sort of power and the higher GPU, that should eliminate most of them, my thoughts are too with the SSD and the faster access, I would think stutters ought to be eliminated.  

Any thoughts, ideas I'd appreciate.  

I do not have any stutters, but that may also be because I fly GA airplanes in Orbx sceneries with little traffic and no heavy duty airports, except for a few scenic ones, like FlyTampa St. Maarten, and FTX Palm Springs and Sedona etc..

I have my fps locked at 30 and am able to maintain 30 fps in pretty much all circumstances.

That makes for smooth flight and no stutters..

As the other thread indicates, it is possible to overload either FSX or P3D by just adding enough addons..

Look for donkey picture at the bottom of this page:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/471839-come-on-fsx-its-2015/page-4

Bert

Thanks for all the tips guys, interesting to read all the varied opinions. On a personal level, after being a die hard FSX fan since it came out, I do believe P3D is the future. And while I do agree with the fact that paying almost double for the NGX is a bit absurd, I think in the long run if you want a constantly improving platform for flight simming, we are all going to end up with P3D anyway.

On another note, having done a few test tweaks to my P3D cfg, I've also realized that it's completely unnecessary on most counts. Just deleted my edited file and rebuilt a new one, it's as smooth as I could possibly want it.

I do want to ask though, since I haven't really put it to the test with a full IFR flight in significant weather conditions, are there tweaks such as the highmemfix and affinitymask settings that would actually be useful for P3D?

I see some users have stated that they are using only a couple of tweaks, would appreciate it if you could tell me what those tweaks are and why you think it's important.

Cheers!

I don't have any stutters and I have a 3 year old middle of the road non gaming PC . I  don't load P3D up with airports, fancy scenery, and every add on in the world. That's probably why, no stutters.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I don't have any stutters and I have a 3 year old middle of the road non gaming PC . I  don't load P3D up with airports, fancy scenery, and every add on in the world. That's probably why, no stutters.  

There is that now.  LOL.  Great point.  

I'm not a scenery guy per say.  I just want a great platform for good glass aircraft.  At the moment I want to see what DX12 does for us if anything, before I upgrade and build my next sim rig.

Respectfully,

Jet