Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Changing Router causes WideFS and EFB connect problems

I have the following home network. Two running Win7 Home Prem (laptop runs Win7 Prof) :-

• A desktop computer on which FSX resides (network name:FLYING).
  • Another desktop computer for FS Addons (network name:FSSUPPORT)
  • A laptop also with FS Addons (network name: ACER).
  • A Router (let's call it HH5. IP Address auto-assigned of 192.168.1.245 when connected to FLYING)
  • An old router (HH3) used when I take my FSX PC to flight sim meetings to connect to the laptop. This IP address (also auto) is 192.168.1.88 when connected to FLYING).

I run WideFS and Electronic Flight Bag at home via HH5 without problem. I use the computer name of FLYING (rather than IP addresses) for a successful handshake.

When I disconnect HH5 and connect HH3 (all Ethernet) to emulate being on the road a different IP address of 192.168.1.88 is assigned to the FLYING PC.

If I then fire up FSX I cannot get WideFS, Super Traffic Board or EFB to make a successful handshake. They just sit there showing "trying to connect".

Why? The FSX computer still has the name FLYING. So shouldn't WideFS, STB and EFB be able to succesfully connect? I can see all shared folders so it doesn't seem to be a general network problem.

If I disconnect HH3 and reconnect HH5 everything is fine again.

Are there some network rules that I'm overlooking that prevent two computers talking to my FSX one if the router is changed?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Computers don't understand names like FLYING. Computers understand IP addresses like 192.168.1.88. Either you need to provide a way for FSSUPPORT and ACER to find the changed IP address of FLYING or, much simpler, change the configuration of FLYING so that it has a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.245.

Give people power to really test their personality.

Sam,

This problem has been resolved without me needing to change anything. It must have been a one-off glitch.

Sorry, but computers can be recognised by a name. Right-click Computer and choose Properties. In the info displayed you'll see 'Computer Name'.

With a fixed name EFB can complete a handshake. Fixed IP address is an option but I prefer using names.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I always use the computer name, very rarely I may use a fixed IP but never use auto addressing.

Sam,

This problem has been resolved without me needing to change anything. It must have been a one-off glitch.

Sorry, but computers can be recognised by a name. Right-click Computer and choose Properties. In the info displayed you'll see 'Computer Name'.

With a fixed name EFB can complete a handshake. Fixed IP address is an option but I prefer using names.

Your right Ray. I just installed Aivlasoft Electron Bag and run the Display unit on a different computer/monitor than the Data Provider. I found it makes no difference if I use the computers name or it's internal IP address i.e. 192.168.X.XXX. The name is case sensitive. Nothing is more literal than a computer. A missing dot would crash my database scripting applications. Paradox 3.5 made me a ton of money writing POS apps and the like in the early day's.

Baldy

• Upvote 1

Ray, sometimes if the system is pulled around enough, routers changed around, or for whatever reasons, the DNS database can be lost and takes a little time to rebuild. Which probably explains why it cured itself eventually. The DNS system relates names to ip addresses. Type "ipconfig /all" should show your router as the DNS server.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for that Steve,

As I alluded to, this problem did sort itself out pretty quickly and has remained problem-free ever since. Each month I take my FSX PC and laptop to a monthly meeting and use the old router and EFB and WideFS recognise the parent PC immediately. Even at Cosford on Saturday everything was fine.

I do use ipconfig /all on occasions but problems are rare these days.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In the future feel free to start your own thread.

What is your budget?  What is your connection speed?  How many clients do you normally have?  How many of those clients are wired and how many are wireless?  How many of those clients are AC, N, and G standard?  What is your ISP and do you already have a modem?

Thanks,

Greg

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here and I need your help.

I'm thinking to buy a new wireless router for home use, but I don't know which one is the best.

I found some reviews here:

https://www.techradar.com/news/networking/routers-storage/best-router-9-top-wireless-routers-on-test-1090523

https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/
https://www.mybestwirelessrouters.com/
and I noticed that the Asus RT-AC88U mentioned in all these reviews. What do you think about this router?

My budget is: $300

Thanks for any advice.

3 hours ago, johnwan980 said:

I am a new member here and I need your help.

See lownslow's post above. You need to give a lot more information if you want advice.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit