Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Using both Dx9 and DX10

Hi

As a long time DX9 user and have been thinking about the advantages of going the dx10 route, I would like to go start doing long haul routes and have heard that OOM are less frequent using DX10. I gather it is possible to switch between DX9 and DX10 and back using the fixer but it is really as easy as just pressing the switch button? I take it I would need seperate Nvidia inspector profiles when switching, would i need seperate Cfg files too?

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Never did it, but some have reported there being no problems other than the optional conversion of some specific product textures, that when reverting back to DX9 can present weird effects.

Once you go DX10 I don't think there's any reason to get back to DX9 anyway...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm also wanting to switch between DX9 and DX10 modes, I have SimStarter which allows for different configurations when I start FSX.

The reason being that FSLabs Concorde-X benefits from DX10 mode. But my Project Magenta B737-800 with a privately supplied BA livery is not DX10-compatible so I would need to remain in DX9 for those flights.

I'm hoping I can have two profiles for SimStarter where Concorde is DX10 and my B737-800 flights remain in DX9.

I know I'll need a separate NVidia Inspector profile for each. There will be also be a DX10 switch and probably AA settings in FSX.cfg for each and I can handle that in each SimStarter profile.

Are any changes made to other common files?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Firstly the fixer makes hardly any changes to your fsx installation so switching to DX9 is pretty easy.

The button in the controller reverses any important changes and so is the best way to switch.

Having said that the only change that absolutely needs to be reversed is the Legacy DX10 Compatible Reflections. This is the reflection texture used with legacy/portover (pre FS9 SDK) aircraft. If you don't select this option then its pretty safe to switch by changing the D3D10= flag in fsx.cfg

The only change that the fixer makes to your fsx installation are

1) bkg.bmp texture - only used in DX10 - can safely be left in DX9

2) Fixer libraries - have no effect on DX9

3) Some settings in fsx.cfg that are DX10 specific such as AA - these have no effect in DX9

Optionally based on what you select within the controller or when you install libraries

4) The reflection texture as described above.

5) Changes to effects for DX10 If left set in DX9 the visibility of some AI lights may be reduced.

6) The replacement nav lights If left set then these should work fine in DX9

As mentioned you may want different NVI settings.

Firstly the fixer makes hardly any changes to your fsx installation so switching to DX9 is pretty easy.

Thanks Steve. That's reassuring to know.

The button in the controller reverses any important changes and so is the best way to switch.

Roger that. Can you confirm 3) is a typo and should be "no effect in DX9."?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Steve.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When swapping between DX9/DX10 it's easy to simply change the DISPLAY.Device sections in the .cfg:

Here's a typical DX10 DISPLAY.Device section from the config, DX10 has an extra ".0" in front of the final ".0" (or ".1" for second monitor):

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0.0]

Mode=1920x1200x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1 <<-- remove DX10 AntiAlias setting for correct DX9 operation, or remove entire DX10 DISPLAY.Device section for best results with DX9.

DX9 section

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0]

Mode=1920x1200x32

[GRAPHICS]

D3D10=1 <- DX10 setting

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thank you Steve. As SimStarter has a fsx.cfg for each profile (1 for Concorde (DX10), 1 for 737-800 (DX9) it will be a simple matter to configure each.

Do you have recommended nVidia Inspector settings for DX10? I have an i7 4770K o/c to 4.4 and a GTX 780 3Gb card.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You're welcome Ray. Put simply, the use of DX10 means you must sparingly use the Transparency supersampling modes set with Nvidia Inspector. Some planes continue to look poorly antialiased with TSSAA (unless zoomed in close to the instruments), so for those few use Transparency Sparse Grid supersampling. More about using CP, and NI, for DX9, DX10, and DX11

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve,

I am planning to use the Fixer's latest release ( v3 at the date of this post in this old thread... ) but I do not want any shadows or even "light" effects. Main aim is to allow for my GTX 960 to be used to it's best by the sim, leaving as much as possible CPU for the heavier aircraft add-ons.

I wonder if you have a profile you could recommend for such a type of use ? 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Sorry, wrong forum, and the answer to the former post was already given to me by Steve in this post at the right forum:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483084-dx10-without-shadows/#entry3370478

Oops!

Main Simulation Rig: