Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Anything on the horizon better than RC4 for FSX?

Radar Contact 4 has been my go-to application for ATC control, but it's showing it's age and hasn't been updated in quite some time. Is there anything on the horizon as a replacement which is as good if not better? (I'm not a fan of vatsim, so that's not an option for me at this time.)

How is it 'showing its age'? The interface was never its strong point even back in 2006. But it does what it says on the can to borrow a phrase from a UK TV advert.

It's stable and will get you from A to B without any scares. By their definition ATC programs don't tend to have Easter Eggs in them that will suddenly give you a heading or altitude you weren't expecting. Pilots like stability and something that works consistently well tends to be appreciated.

There are other products available and there has been extensive discussion on the pros and cons of each one. Just search for ATC in this forum.

For info: RC has a feature that allows real-world ATC recordings to be provided for any airport. The ones I created for EGCC some years ago are now out of date after runway designators have changed. Once my new scanner aerial is up I hope to provide new recordings of Manchester.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There are other products available and there has been extensive discussion on the pros and cons of each one.

Yup and all of them are total crap. RC is the way to go, for the time being.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I'm not trying to pooh pooh on RC4, so please don't read any insult into my request. As I mentioned, RC4 has been my go-to app for quite some time now and for the most part, I've been happy with it. I was simply asking if there was anything else on the horizon that is in development as an alternative to RC4 which might be better.

Some examples of improvements would include taxi routing, ATC assigned SID/STARs (you can do this in RC4, but ATC does not actually assign anything.. you have to leave out the SID in your flight plan and choose 'alt restrictions' to get ATC to honor the SID YOU assign). Flexible responses for times when ATC barks at you but only because of the situation and not due to failing to follow instructions. (Some of this is getting close to the realm of Vatsim, I know.)

Again, not bashing RC4, just looking for something a little more feature rich.

Don't worry el_kab0ng, I didn't consider your post as insulting towards RC4. :wink:

You wouldn't expect me as a former team member of RC to make recommendations on alternatives for you. But if you search for ProATC-X and VOX ATC you can see what others think of those compared to RC4.

Assigning SIDs and STARs was due to be implemented in v5 but the author lost interest as more important things were happening in his life. Likewise with taxi instructions. Maybe if someone offered to buy the source code off John Dekker they could rewrite it. :BigGrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Don't worry el_kab0ng, I didn't consider your post as insulting towards RC4. :wink:

You wouldn't expect me as a former team member of RC to make recommendations on alternatives for you. But if you search for ProATC-X and VOX ATC you can see what others think of those compared to RC4.

Assigning SIDs and STARs was due to be implemented in v5 but the author lost interest as more important things were happening in his life. Likewise with taxi instructions. Maybe if someone offered to buy the source code off John Dekker they could rewrite it. :BigGrin:

Ah then came Rob - He could do it and that would be neat

Ray does ProATC-X  work with all aircraft's or just airbus and pmdg stuff ? thanks

Rich Sennett

I moved from RC4 to vatsim a while back. Would never leave vatsim !

Vernon Howells

does ProATC-X  work with all aircraft's or just airbus and pmdg stuff ? thanks

it works with any aircraft (tubeliner) even the default fsx 737 747.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

it works with any aircraft (tubeliner) even the default fsx 737 747.

Hi Clayton - thank you - work with flight1 king air - carenado stuff - dash ? thanks

Rich Sennett

Hi Clayton - thank you - work with flight1 king air - carenado stuff - dash ? thanks

Yes as long as you file IFR you should be good to go ! 

Maybe if someone offered to buy the source code off John Dekker they could rewrite it.

Do you really think John would be open to this? I would love to continue developing RC4!

Stephen Munn

Yes as long as you file IFR you should be good to go ! 

Thanks again - another question what I am not understanding and apologize but if you have a flight plan in the fmc - why would I need atc as when he says to turn heading 235 for instance that would be different than the flight path its following in fmc or maybe I put in dep and arr airport and let atc get me there ? newbie here on this subject ot sure what i am purchasing if you could help out would be great - tried p3d atc and they had me come into runway add crazy angle not straight on like normal people lol

Rich Sennett

the proatc is based on the flightplan generated by the software, you then plug in the same flightplan with into your fmc, you can also chose the sid/star in the proatc software and normally proatc will tell you to fly direct to Xyx waypoint after departure so you do just that (like the real world) and continue on the jet airway as assigned in the flight plan. 

You also have the ability to descend as per the fmc and not what atc tells you to do. if you chose this option atc will not tell you to commence descent you will have to do it on your own as per fmc (t/d)

p3d atc is probably similiar to fsx atc (rubbish)