Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Upgrade now or wait for 2.6?

Hello all! I've been sitting on my 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade with the patch since 2.4 came out, which happened to be just a few days after going from 2.2 to 2.3. That was 3 installs in short succession, including the 1.4 to 2.2 jump, so when 2.5 appeared I was less than excited about pulling the trigger and doing it all over again. I know that a few of you get it done in a few hours, cheers, it takes a few days for me to finish the task. I have enjoyed this install very much except for one small mistake that I made which has only affected one airport during takeoff, KVNY by FTX. This post is not really about that but if it were not for this one issue, I would just as well stay put for now. I had ran the airport installer for P3D, not V2. When I tried to uninstall it, I created a texture kaleidoscope which took a minute to fix. Finally the triple installer arrived and all was well, except that when taking off, my aircraft freezes for 2-3 seconds. There is still something wrong there that I couldn't fix (this happens nowhere else). I have now grown very interested in flying on Pilot Edge and LA Artcc and doing their offered ratings. I would like KVNY to be a big part of that. My dilemma though, is do I wait for 2.6 or do it now. Will there even be a 2.6? I have a feeling that 3.0 will be out sooner rather than later. Feeling like...."Mr. McLees would you like paper or plastic?....Mr. McLees?.....Sir?"

James McLees

Hi Jimmy, I am waiting for 2.6 since I don't have P3d loaded on my PC. I bought it when 2.0 v came out and this January I deleted it just because had other things going at that time. I was with FSX since 2006 but I like P3d better (just my opinion). Don't know when 2.6 v will be out though? Maybe soon.

Regards

Lamar Wright

No one knows when v2.6 will be released - except Lockheed Martin.

Which will be the day after I install 2.5! :lol:

James McLees

Which will be the day after I install 2.5! :lol:

Me too!

I am also still on 2.4...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Yep, still on 2.4 myself! Everything seems to work fine for me so will wait until the next update or Win10/DirectX12 which ever comes first, but I'm in no hurry!

You're going to need to bite the bullet at some point since the file directory structure is a bit different.  Personally, I would rip that band aid off now and be set for future upgrades.

No, I trust that P3D V3.0 isnt too far away. Or let me put it the other way around: I havent heard of any improvement in 2.5 that makes me think "I have to do it".

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I predict that there will not be a version 2.6. The next version will be 3.0.

My gut instinct tells me that there will be one final tweek of V2, probably nothing earth shattering, then V3 DirectX 12 end of year or Q1 16. I would welcome a DirectX 12 Windows 10 sim that does NOT break compatibility with the great add-ons that we presently have. Some of my favorites are fairly new. Like many, I am anxiously awaiting 64 bit. If I had my druthers, a 64 bit V4 would release very soon after V3, breaking compatibility, but be developed in parallel with a 32 bit V3.

James McLees

My suspicion is not only will v3 need a clean install, it will probably need a clean install of the W10 OS, or at least a near-install.

I see no prospect of v3 happening until several months into a stable W10 environment, so imminent arrival of Windows 10 is no indication of the imminent following of a new version of P3D.

I go with Jimmy but as a Q1/Q2 2016 arrival - it will be a fresh purchase for all.

On that basis, unless you have the senile old goat of FSX to fall back on, why not install 2.5 ? You know you will get months and months of use and you're back on track with support as L-M only supports the current version.

I'm not aware of any version 2.6 ... I am aware of a version 3.0 (and a few other things) ;)

Cheers, Rob.

So things we should be excited about...or more than excited Rob?! That's all you need to say...

Thanks Robb, made my decision easy! Looking very forward to a week 1 install of V3.0.

James McLees