Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Upgrade now or wait for 2.6?

Not sure how to feel about V3. I'm sure it will break all of the addons that I've plowed so much money into... and getting developers to update their work (especially scenery) is difficult as it is...

Not sure how to feel about V3. I'm sure it will break all of the addons that I've plowed so much money into... and getting developers to update their work (especially scenery) is difficult as it is..

So stay with 2.5?

I'm really sorry but I don't get this and it's getting extremely tiresome. "Lockheed Martin should not advance their product to take advantage of newer technology because if they do my airports will break!!!!111SHIFT+!" Just stop and think about it for a second.

Nobody (not even Lockheed Martin) is forcing you to upgrade to V3 as and when it arrives.

This industry, is one of the only industries I know of where developers have been making a small fortune off people for almost 10 years developing for a static platform. A few months ago, Lockheed Martin released a hotfix for Prepar3D and I saw a (high profile, unnamed) developer post along the lines of 'this constant updating is getting a bit annoying as it means we have to update our addons so they work with the new version'. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

After V3 drops, there's going to be an optional 64bit version of Prepar3D. Then we'll separate the wheat from the chaff... ;)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I'm not aware of any version 2.6 ... I am aware of a version 3.0 (and a few other things) ;)

Cheers, Rob.

So what your saying is P3d V3 will be here in 4 months and will be 64 bit   :o  :o   :o   You heard it first right here  :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry but I don't get this and it's getting extremely tiresome.

Whoa there buddy. Can't fault you for reading my words but my intent was totally different: no one's more excited about flightsim's future than I and especially with a lot of the new tech that hopefully makes it into coming iterations of P3D, X-Plane, or who-knows-what. However, you can't blame someone for looking at their entire catalog of payware and hoping at least some of it can carry into the future.

I'm thinking dual operating systems on my rig with Windows 10 and V3 on a separate SSD. Please, anyone who knows of a complication this may create, feel free to chime in. I want to use "all" of my current add-ons and I don't care if I need two versions to do it.

James McLees

Rob, do you know if is there any hotfix planned for 2.5 before 3.0 comes out?

Whoa there buddy.

Greg, I didn't mean it personally. There's a fairly large thread here on AVSIM discussing the future of P3D and a good number of the participants are basically saying that they don't want to see any kind of advancement for FSX (BS aside, P3D is the (spiritual) successor of FSX) Look at how the home PC market is advancing. Huge leaps in GPU technology, Voice Recognition is getting better all the time. Virtual Reality with the Oculus Rift is about to cause a massive shakeup with how people interact with entertainment.

For the flight sim community, the biggest form of disruptive technology is whether we get a 64bit version or not and the fact that the community isn't embracing this with all it's heart is ridiculous.

Spent $1000 on airports, airplanes, gps units and scenery? nice! How long do you expect them to be compatible with future versions? 5 years? 50 years? How many versions of Windows have you bought? How many Intel CPUs?

A big part of the problem is high profile FSX developers who seem to be willing the 64bit not to happen, as it means they have to spend time and money updating addons (remember, they haven't had to do this for years) this negativity trickles down first to the diehard customers of that developer, then to the community as a whole.

Like I said, 64bit will separate the wheat from the chaff and there's an awful lot of chaff floating about.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Lol, nothing like a glimmer of something amazing to bring out the best in everyone , kappa ?

Ebs is right (if I live up'norf I'd take you for a beer sometime). If you read the interview on AirDailyX, the man from LM states that 64bit will break add-ons. Now, the fixes may be small and not a huge effort, but they will break. LM will have to just live with that, and we will have to "put up and shutup" if you will. I.e, upgrade, or don't.

My problem is, is that some developers will release a fix and that will be that. Others, mentioning no names, will probably make you buy it, full price, yet again. This is just the same as the P3D version of you're choice of add-on, and you're FSX add-on that you purchased. Some released a free new download. Others didn't.

We, as consumers, don't have a big spade to dig with this. We can stick with, or move. And it's the developers who make the decision on if we pay for that or not. But, it will happen. The train is at full speed and going through that station.

Sooner we have that 64bit version the better. Some will moan, others will migrate. That's that

Greg, I didn't mean it personally. There's a fairly large thread here on AVSIM discussing the future of P3D and a good number of the participants are basically saying that they don't want to see any kind of advancement for FSX (BS aside, P3D is the (spiritual) successor of FSX) Look at how the home PC market is advancing. Huge leaps in GPU technology, Voice Recognition is getting better all the time. Virtual Reality with the Oculus Rift is about to cause a massive shakeup with how people interact with entertainment.

For the flight sim community, the biggest form of disruptive technology is whether we get a 64bit version or not and the fact that the community isn't embracing this with all it's heart is ridiculous.

Spent $1000 on airports, airplanes, gps units and scenery? nice! How long do you expect them to be compatible with future versions? 5 years? 50 years? How many versions of Windows have you bought? How many Intel CPUs?

A big part of the problem is high profile FSX developers who seem to be willing the 64bit not to happen, as it means they have to spend time and money updating addons (remember, they haven't had to do this for years) this negativity trickles down first to the diehard customers of that developer, then to the community as a whole.

Like I said, 64bit will separate the wheat from the chaff and there's an awful lot of chaff floating about.

Ebs, i think you hit the nail on the head with both of your posts here. The future will surely be interesting. With LM working on P3D, and DTG on FSX:SE, there is more potential in the industry than there has been in years.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Ebs, i think you hit the nail on the head with both of your posts here. The future will surely be interesting. With LM working on P3D, and DTG on FSX:SE, there is more potential in the industry than there has been in years.

Dovetail are actually making their own Flight Sim. FSX:SE is just having minor multiplayer and steam fixes applied. But their new one is pencilled  for 2016

It think Dovetail are making a flying game. If it is worthy of being called a flight Simulator I'll eat my hat! Roll on P3D V3

What makes you think that DutchAir? I can't say I've seen anything to suggest that but I'm open to hear why you think that...

That being said I also too am waiting for P3Dv3 and think that will probably be my next sim purchase

It may sound like bad news and a PITA, but breaking all compatibility would actually be a good thing as it would mean a very large leap forward that really moves away from the old foundations to what we been clamoring for for years. Lets be serious, we all get excited when we can maintain and or hover around 30fps when in the gaming world this would be utterly pitiful. At some point we just gotta make that giant leap and I welcome it despite its cost of possibly losing present addons. Just have to hope devs make the upgrade process somewhat easy, and hopefully light on the wallet.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png