Sign in to follow this  
lencarne

Approach plates

Soooo  Wheres the best place to download approach plates etc without paying Jeppesons 600 dollars pa?

Soooo  Wheres the best place to download approach plates etc without paying Jeppesons 600 dollars pa?

United States?

AirNav.com

Other places?

I'm sure others can chime in.

Kyle Rodgers

All the UK plates are free, as are many european countries.

Kyle already mentioned airnav for US charts. Many countries typically will have them on the actual websites of their aviation authorities. For others, you can usually find free ones somewhere, though they'll probably be outdated.

For a $7-8/month subscription, or $60-ish upfront for a year, you can use Navigraph Charts, which I use. They're pretty good. LIDO format. They have an iPad app as well.

Skyvector is also a good source for US plates. They also just recently introduced a flight plan filing and briefing capability for real world fliers. We'll see if it stands the test of FAA regs. :/

:good:

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Kyle already mentioned airnav for US charts. Many countries typically will have them on the actual websites of their aviation authorities. For others, you can usually find free ones somewhere, though they'll probably be outdated.

For a $7-8/month subscription, or $60-ish upfront for a year, you can use Navigraph Charts, which I use. They're pretty good. LIDO format. They have an iPad app as well.

+1 for the price of a pint of beer a month you can have them all at your finger tips

zoran maksic

ZORAN

+1 for the price of a pint of beer a month you can have them all at your finger tips

zoran maksic

That.

I'd go with Navigraph. I used free charts for a long time, but with Navigraph they are very predictable and always the same format/style which really helps, especially when landing.

I'm also still drinking many pints, so no hardship :D

We'll see if it stands the test of FAA regs. :/

Not sure what you're referring to here. Can you elaborate?

Kyle Rodgers

Skyvector is also a good source for US plates. They also just recently introduced a flight plan filing and briefing capability for real world fliers. We'll see if it stands the test of FAA regs. :/

Skyvector is not meant for real world, Kennedy4273

Sure. For any pilot, if you end up in an accident, and wx is deemed to be a factor, the FAA is going to check if you got a full weather briefing. Not just an ATIS or a TAF, a full wx briefing. As of right now, that is limited to a FSS or 1-800 WX BRIEF. Even getting the wx from ForeFlight on an iPad doesn't quite count (yet). Enter SkyVector. Their new briefing option includes a wx briefing, which I believe uses data from 1800 WX BRIEF. What I meant by my comment is we shall see if the SkyVector briefing becomes an FAA certified full wx briefing because it uses 1800 WX BRIEF data.

codeshris: Yes and no it is for real. They include the FAA AFD in their pages, and all the charts are procedures are the real charts. Was it an official source for nav charts: no. But since they added a filing option, my question is: Who/where are they filing the flight plan? I understand in the past it was totally not for official use, but why call the button "Briefing and Filing" if they're not actually filing it to anywhere official? Is it just to give it more realism?

Edit: Just checked their "Flight Planning and Filing Pilot's Guide" where it states "Press the "File Flight Plan" button to transmit your plan to Flight Services. Once it is in their system you can amend or cancel it through SkyVector, over the phone with FSS, or by using the web portal at 1800wxbrief.com. IFR Flights can be amended or canceled until 30 minutes before ETD. At that point you must contact ATC directly." 

So SkyVector can now file flight plans to flight services. It is for real world use after all (or this is the largest hoax I've ever seen).

I'd go with Navigraph. I used free charts for a long time, but with Navigraph they are very predictable and always the same format/style which really helps, especially when landing.

I agree with this 100% Couldn't have said it better myself.. (no pun intended Chris! ;))

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

You can also down load approach charts on FlightAware.

Vic green