Sign in to follow this  
lencarne

Approach plates

FSS or 1-800 WX BRIEF

These are one in the same. That number directs you to the FSS operated by LM.

You're also missing a couple:

DTC DUAT and CSC DUATS were both services that pilots could alternately use. You could also obtain a QICP login for ADDS if that avenue seemed interesting.

...but see below.

Even getting the wx from ForeFlight on an iPad doesn't quite count (yet).

This is not true. ForeFlight obtained QICP certification in 2012.

...but all of this is moot since the FAA removed the requirement to utilize QICPs in August of 2013. Anyone who is telling you that there are approved, official avenues should be directed to the AC 00-62 Cancellation Memo. That being said, the use of SkyVector can certainly be used to brief and file.

Moreover, there was no such thing as an "official weather briefing" for Part 91 ops. The QICP stuff only applied to 91K, 121, and 135. See 91.103, as it makes no specific requirement of the pilot (though the other sections do, for obvious reasons).

AIM 5-1-1 states that "[e]very pilot is urged to receive a preflight briefing and to file a flight plan," but it does not further define where that briefing comes from, apart from noting that the FSS is somewhat of an "industry standard." Beyond that, the AIM carries no actual regulatory weight.

Now, I'm not condoning not getting a briefing at all, or doing all of this on your own (though the FAA has provided a self-brief guide for those who would like to), but there are no official sources, just as there is no requirement to have a chart in your possession*, for Part 91 flight. 

Don't believe me? See here (specifically point 3). Not condoning the practice, but it's a fact nonetheless.

Skyvector is not meant for real world, Kennedy4273

Actually, its original purpose was to provide the real world pilot community with a route planning tool, so your statement is not correct. The sim crowd merely adopted it because it is a free resource for the charts that pilots normally already procured for their flying requirements. The FBO listings, fuel prices and other functions kinda really drive that point home.

--------------------

I think this is a good example of the need to fact check. There's a lot of misinformation floating around in the aviation industry. It takes the collective of the people in aviation to curtail its spread. Please make sure to verify things people tell you. Even if it's me**, some pilot you know, or even your CFI. I've been guilty of my own share of not verifying information I was conveying. It happens, but definitely make sure to verify something before simply accepting it.

**EDIT: Especially if it's me.  :P

Kyle Rodgers

These are one in the same. That number directs you to the FSS operated by LM.

You're also missing a couple:

DTC DUAT and CSC DUATS were both services that pilots could alternately use. You could also obtain a QICP login for ADDS if that avenue seemed interesting

Thank you for reminding me of these services. Didn't know FSS and 1800wxbrief were one and the same.

This is not true. ForeFlight obtained QICP certification in 2012.

I thought they had, just wasn't sure, so i put "yet." Glad to hear it was approved.

...but all of this is moot since the FAA removed the requirement to utilize QICPs in August of 2013. Anyone who is telling you that there are approved, official avenues should be directed to the AC 00-62 Cancellation Memo. That being said, the use of SkyVector can certainly be used to brief and file.

Moreover, there was no such thing as an "official weather briefing" for Part 91 ops. The QICP stuff only applied to 91K, 121, and 135. See 91.103, as it makes no specific requirement of the pilot (though the other sections do, for obvious reasons).

AIM 5-1-1 states that "[e]very pilot is urged to receive a preflight briefing and to file a flight plan," but it does not further define where that briefing comes from, apart from noting that the FSS is somewhat of an "industry standard." Beyond that, the AIM carries no actual regulatory weight.

Now, I'm not condoning not getting a briefing at all, or doing all of this on your own (though the FAA has provided a self-brief guide for those who would like to), but there are no official sources, just as there is no requirement to have a chart in your possession*, for Part 91 flight. 

Don't believe me? See here (specifically point 3). Not condoning the practice, but it's a fact nonetheless.

Good to know. Thank you for clarifying. I will keep this in mind for my training. 

I think this is a good example of the need to fact check. There's a lot of misinformation floating around in the aviation industry. It takes the collective of the people in aviation to curtail its spread. Please make sure to verify things people tell you. Even if it's me**, some pilot you know, or even your CFI. I've been guilty of my own share of not verifying information I was conveying. It happens, but definitely make sure to verify something before simply accepting it.

**EDIT: Especially if it's me.  :P

Couldn't agree more. Thank you for clarifying everything. I should start looking into the rules and regs more, especially if I'm going to be a real world pilot.  :p0504:

On the side, thank you for all of your help in the NGX forums. You've helped countless of simmers understand your awesome aircraft. Keep up the good work! :clapping:

Couldn't agree more. Thank you for clarifying everything. I should start looking into the rules and regs more, especially if I'm going to be a real world pilot.

You're welcome. And I'm glad you saw the post for the facts and not as criticism. As I re-read it, I began to see how it could be interpreted in a negative way.

The regs themselves are a crazy amount of information, and I've only come to grips with them over many years of referring back to them whenever an odd topic popped up. That should be a habit everyone gets into, honestly. It really helps keep fresh on the knowledge, and over the years, it honestly starts to make better sense.

Start doing it with ground school, and especially when you start learning from your CFI. Don't be combative about it, of course, just verify tidbits after lessons and file it away in the brain about what the correct info is for later - nobody's perfect. If it's significant enough, you might want to point them to the reg in a neutral way. The chart and brief issue is probably better left unspoken, though. It may be true, but that's something they probably don't want to hear.

On the side, thank you for all of your help in the NGX forums. You've helped countless of simmers understand your awesome aircraft. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Kyle Rodgers

My VATSIM instructor gave me a pdf of the 7110.65 (ATC phraseology) which is a 5MB pdf  :o and very useful for VATSIM, but I have no idea where he found it. Where would I find the rest of the regs?

Navigraph on iPad!!!!! How did I miss that NOTAM!!!!!

On reflection, our sim world has come a long way!

Brian Nellis

Thank you!

You're welcome.

On reflection, our sim world has come a long way!

It certainly has! I remember running over to my neighbor's house when I was 10 (FS5.1 days) to grab his expired charts every so often. When I started flying at the local airport, I could usually grab the school's old plates, along with the expired ones that didn't sell over at the FBO. Once I got to college and had ready access to the internet (yeah, college, and "ready access to the internet" - I really didn't have that luxury around my sim comp until then), I used the FAA site to get to charts. It's really getting to the point where I take all of that for granted, though I do have some of the first charts I received around as a reminder, both of the kindness of my neighbor (more than the charts, he would also take me flying occasionally), and how far things have come.

Kyle Rodgers

It certainly has! I remember running over to my neighbor's house when I was 10 (FS5.1 days) to grab his expired charts every so often. When I started flying at the local airport, I could usually grab the school's old plates, along with the expired ones that didn't sell over at the FBO. Once I got to college and had ready access to the internet (yeah, college, and "ready access to the internet" - I really didn't have that luxury around my sim comp until then), I used the FAA site to get to charts. It's really getting to the point where I take all of that for granted, though I do have some of the first charts I received around as a reminder, both of the kindness of my neighbor (more than the charts, he would also take me flying occasionally), and how far things have come.

High 5 to your neighbour for taking you under his wing, sounds like a real gentleman; a rarity these days. Do you keep in touch with him? I got hooked into the industry by a similar, but single act of kindness of a 767 Captain as a boy. A fond memory to recall when the underlying passion starts to wane.

Brian Nellis

grab his expired charts every so often

LOL I was doing that as recently as 12 years ago. Finally got a subscription to receive the big bag of books and charts every 56 days.  During my several-year stint as a sidstar creator, all my charts came from the FAA web site, which is still a very good source to use today along with others mentioned:  http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products  not only includes terminal charts but airport facility directories, enroute charts (VFR and IFR) and more (US and territories only).

For quick looks while flight planning I usually have FlightAware open and use it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Surprised nobody mentioned the Simplates Android app. $40 one time gets you worldwide coverage, and the US charts are even current cycle! No pc screen real estate wasted and all plates are zoomable and extremely sharp.

thnx for your help guys...   I've gone with Navigraph as I use their other services anyway

Personally I use Navigraph Ultimate 1 year subscription. They now have LIDO charts used by Lufthansa and I have gotten used to them. The new IPAD app is particuarly useful. You can download all the charts for a particular airport and have each on a separate tab, all you do is press on any one tab and bam you have the ground chart, parking, star or many stars at the touch of a finger available. In that package you also have access to the latest and current AIRAC cycle and it is a breeze to install the navdata into the FMC.

Alberto Ferracuti

Just like to thank the op and the person who suggested navigraph for iPad. It is a long overdue charting solution for simmers. This lido format takes some getting used to... I'm used to the Jepps. Anyone know where I find runway/airport elevation on the lido charts?

Brian Nellis