Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Windows 10 and FS9?

I am going to buy a new FS rig in September, when I am back in the UK on holiday for a few weeks, for FS9 'on the go' (as I travel a lot and for long periods for work and hate to be FS-less for months on end!) - may be an All-in-One, or a laptop, or a mini PC, I don't know as yet. I probably won't install FSX on this computer as I don't fly it all that often back home anyway.

Obviously this topic will be easier to answer after another a week or so, when people have installed the Win10 alpha release but I wonder if anyone already has any feedback on how FS9 functions in  the beta?

Specifically, do FS9 addons such as PMDG 737NG, 747-400, Level-D 767, Flight1/Aerosoft software, and so on and so forth, install OK, just as in WinXP and Win7? For some of these I have the installation disc, for others I'd need to install via my original purchases online, and I have seen in some threads that some 'wrappers' don't work in the beta.

If all is OK, I'd probably go for a new rig with a clean install of Windows 10, rather than upgrade (isn't that always rather less satisfactory than a clean installation?) but if there are issues with installing any of my add-ons into Win10 I'd probably just stick with Window 7 (x64).

Thanks for any input over the next month or two.

There is no "clean install" option anymore unless you buy the software.  It's a free upgrade.  The only way to clean install is to buy the product on a USB stick or DVD.  So you will be stuck with the 'upgrade' option until you purchase a new computer or go ahead and buy Windows 10 (@ $119).

Windows 10 will be no different than Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 as far as installing software.  Same recommendations as in existing guides.  Disable UAC - http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-84-how-to-disable-uac/ .   Install in a non-default location such as C:\FS9. Install as Administrator. Run software as Administrator. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Actually you can do a clean install. You have to upgrade first then do a reset

OK, thanks both - but, yes, it seems you can clean install. For instance:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-can-be-clean-installed-during-and-after-free-upgrade

Still wonder whether I ought to bite the bullet and just go for a Win10 install with the new PC though. I'll look carefully at these pages over the next few weeks before I decide. To install all my FS software into Win7, then have to do it all again a little later seems less than the best way to go.

M

Oh, anyone any information on hardware drivers (and programming software), like for Saitek X52, Nostromo N52? Do the Win7 drivers work in Win10?

Maybe after a few days, when Win10 is out 'for real'..

Thanks

Obviously this topic will be easier to answer after another a week or so, when people have installed the Win10 alpha release but I wonder if anyone already has any feedback on how FS9 functions in  the beta?

I'd be happy to share my feedback on FS9 and how it works with Windows 10. For my particular case and on my test system up until build 10160 (stopped testing Windows 10 afterwards), FS9 works with a major caveat, in game contextual and alt menus will result in a black screen if using the simulator in Full-Screen mode (default option in FS9) you can access these menus however by toggling Alt+Enter and entering in windowed mode where FS9 works flawlessly on Windows 10 and will let you access the in-game and contextual menus. Otherwise, the simulation runs as it is expected in Full-Screen mode and I haven't experience any major crashes with default and add-on aircraft in Windows 10 build 10160. The only reason I stopped testing Windows 10 was due to having some life events coming up over the last month which basically have occupied my available time to test beta software.

Please reply back if you have any additional questions about my experience with Windows 10 and FS9!

Thanks a lot for that. Can I kindly ask you subscribe (if you haven't already!) to this thread, as I may ask quite a few questions, if you have time to answer them every now and again!

I am not buying the new kit for a month yet (I work abroad and will get it when I am in the UK for a month in September), so I have time to decide on the O/S. In fact the rig will be either a high-end mini PC or possibly a laptop, suitably endowed, as I already have an FS PC in the UK and the one I use when I travel (I am abroad for several months on end, so need a transportable rig too: I can't go without FS9 for that long!!) died on me (M/B) a few weeks ago. Well, it was ten years old, so I'm overdue for a replacement anyway!

My other worry, apart from black screens in full-screen mode,  is whether drivers will be available for my hardware, some of which is old but treasured, like a couple of Belkin Nostromo N52s. Also my Saitek X52. If the Win7 drivers are no good, I am stuck. I will check meanwhile on driver availability, but unless I am sure all will be OK, I may in the end err on the sie of caution and stick with Windows 7 - I can always download Windows 10 as an upgrade (and do a clean install, as per instructions.

Any comments then re. drivers appreciated. (There will be no new drivers for the N52, for sure, as Belkin discontinued it years ago. Drivers for Vista work in Win7, but in Win10?? Not sure about the Saitek X52, no doubt new drivers will arrive at some stage as the device is still sold, as far as I know).

Thanks again!

... contacted Belkin but they don't know anything about it! The question would be - does anyone by any chance have a Nostromo N52 and Windows 10? Do the Vista drivers work in Win10 (Belkin made none for Win7, but the Vista ones worked fine. But in Win10??).

Same for the X52, though I guess there is a greater likelihood that Win10 drivers will be produced for that.

There is no "clean install" option anymore unless you buy the software.  It's a free upgrade.  The only way to clean install is to buy the product on a USB stick or DVD.  So you will be stuck with the 'upgrade' option until you purchase a new computer or go ahead and buy Windows 10 (@ $119).

Windows 10 will be no different than Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 as far as installing software.  Same recommendations as in existing guides.  Disable UAC - http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-84-how-to-disable-uac/ .   Install in a non-default location such as C:\FS9. Install as Administrator. Run software as Administrator. 

Best regards,

Jim, this is not true.

One you UPGRADE to W10, THEN you can perform a clean install. MS will probably provide an ISO for people who want to do a format of their drives. If not, W10 has a built in reset utility that cleans the drive and reinstalls the OS.

My other worry, apart from black screens in full-screen mode,  is whether drivers will be available for my hardware, some of which is old but treasured, like a couple of Belkin Nostromo N52s. Also my Saitek X52. If the Win7 drivers are no good, I am stuck. I will check meanwhile on driver availability, but unless I am sure all will be OK, I may in the end err on the sie of caution and stick with Windows 7 - I can always download Windows 10 as an upgrade (and do a clean install, as per instructions.

Any comments then re. drivers appreciated. (There will be no new drivers for the N52, for sure, as Belkin discontinued it years ago. Drivers for Vista work in Win7, but in Win10?? Not sure about the Saitek X52, no doubt new drivers will arrive at some stage as the device is still sold, as far as I know).

I have not had any problems using my Saitek peripherals in W10. I don't see a reason why your Saitek X52 wouldn't work.

Also, if you're on W7 or 8.1 and you have the W10 reservation icon, click it, then click "View report". It's not very comprehensive, but it will give you a good idea of compatibility.

Thanks. My main concern at the moment is the N52 pad, which I must have working, as it is now integral to how I control many FS functions. I think that until someone can confirm that the Belkin Vista drivers are OK in Windows 10 (how likely is that???) I'll have to stick with Win7 for the time being.

Any idea whether you can/will be able to download the Win10 ISO (for a later clean install) without doing an upgrade first?

Thanks. My main concern at the moment is the N52 pad, which I must have working, as it is now integral to how I control many FS functions. I think that until someone can confirm that the Vista drivers are OK in Windows 10 (how likely is that???) I'll have to stick with Win7

If you're comfortable enough, I suggest you partition your hard drive and dual boot into W10, just to see if the pad works. As long as Windows detects it, it should be fine. 

Yes, I was thinking about that: when I get the PC I will probably try it. (Will I be able to set up the dual boot OK in Windows 10? Ages since I set up a dual boot system!). Thanks.

Thanks. The partitioning is OK, it was just the dual boot management I wasn't sure about. :-)

I suppose the Windows update will update just one of the two instances of Windows 7?? Maybe I should hide one partition, or remove its drive letter in Disc Management??

I am probably anticipating issues where none will exist!

I suppose the Windows update will update just one of the two instances of Windows 7?? Maybe I should hide one partition, or remove its drive letter in Disc Management??

No no no no.

I'm talking about you dual booting into the beta. You won't be able to dual boot W10 (non beta) and W7 with the same license.

The ISO for the beta is no longer available at MS's site, but I could give you my most recent download.