Sign in to follow this  
targetpractice2

Dash8 q400 Turns and circles on descent without my input

Hi all..

Using FSX version of Dash8 q400

Just purchased the Dash8 and loving it.. working through the cadet training from airline2sim which helped greatly.  I do have a problem in descent however.  When using autopilot/FMS in decent all of a sudden the plane decides to circle, basically banks off to the right away from the heading track / waypoint and circles back on to it, other times it just seems to decide at some point during the decent to stop following the track...

I do not have a holding pattern ..

I have followed as much as I can the videos from airline2sim but still end up in the same situation.

I do not change anything (and can see NAV and LNAV highlighted) I use VS mode in my descent ..   I thought that it perhaps was going into some holding pattern automatically to lose speed !

it seems to do it once every flight then gets back on track and I can land with no issues (other than my lack of ability to land by hand!).. 

I am experienced in using the FMS in the 737 so have a good idea what it should be doing, but appreciate that it is a different model.. so assume user error somewhere!

many thanks for any assistance.

Next time it does that, take a picture of the active Legs page.  If you are not touching anything the most likely answer is an FMC mistake (easy to do).

Thanks for replying .. its a very short route with only 4 way points including the airports (isle of sky to Birmingham).. I have not even reached the entry point of the STAR which is CHASE1c before it begins its turn.. but will take pic and post ..

I think I've had this before, that there's a hold at the end of a STAR before the transition and you have to manually select it to exit the hold. 

(apologies for the squgglies, but i don't want to get in trouble for posting part of a Navigraph chart on a public forum.

i7f4LaI.png 

HI thanks for taking the time to post.. I thought you had drawn my manual landing attempt route!

there is a hold at Chase where you need to sit at FL900 but its not programmed in the FMS as a hold only to be at fl900 by Chase.

I'm sure it is, I've been caught out with this in the past, have a look and take a screenie when you're next in the sim and show us what it looks like at the end of the CHASE1C STAR on the FMC.

May have figured it out but not completely sure.. I am using ProATC X which is better than the standard ATC but can be frustrating! .. whilst it is not on my route it appears the pilot not flying is changing the heading on me , but not clear why. as there is no call from ATC and my FMC does not show a circle route etc...(proatcx you can have the co-pilot take over the headings/radios/flaps etc).. so turned that off and its not been doing that..

have looked on their forums but nothing in regards to this.

anyway issue seems to be another third party product and not the Dash8.