Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Running P3Dv2.5 under Win10

With Win10 around the corner only few weeks away I wanted to ask you guys who already tried it out, what is the latest status on how P3Dv2.5 performs under Win10...is it worth upgrading on day 1 when Win10 is released?

Things I'm thinking of is if there is already an advantage with the DX12 under the hood of Win10 or if it won't give you any benefits until LM (hopefully) works towards full DX12 compatibility.

I recently replaced my 1st gen Titan with a 980 Ti allowing me to run P3D @ 4K and although the performance is already really good running under Win7 of course I would like my new hardware to be utilized in the best way possible.

Richard Åsberg

I can say that under Win 10 TP P3D V2.5 does in fact work - but my nVidia GTX650 suffers with the beta driver from nVidia. Within an hour or so of flying the GPU is heating up and  the fan kicks into high speed (noisy); and does cause lockups in the sim to point of having to reboot my machine (running on slower i5 processor (locked 3.40GHz - not able to OC). nVidia Inspector Tweaks included for FSX/P3D V1.x all seem to go for SLI tandem , thus do nothing in my case. Win 10 itself does not appear to be the culprit. nVidia has released only the one beta driver version (I check for updates nearly every day), and I will assume P3D V2.5 simply does not like my GTX 650 (re: not powerful enough for the graphics). Heck - I even have heating issues with Sims 3 for the kids, whether or not using the nVidia Inspector tweaks or Global settings provided. So IMHO Win 10 won't be the issue - rather the video drivers. Since you have updated your video card you more than likely should have little issues other than the full DX 12 compatibility - that will be dependent upon LM.

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

I won't upgrade until all TP-developers of the products that I have confirm 100% compatibility and release patches if required. My raw estimate - Christmas 2015

Thanks for the input, most appreciated!

Would be great to hear from someone with similar hardware like a Titan X or even better a 980 Ti with an i7 @ 4.5-5.0.

As for the Nvidia drivers I would like to think Nvidia will catch up rather quickly once Win10 has been officially released.

I won't upgrade until all TP-developers of the products that I have confirm 100% compatibility and release patches if required. My raw estimate - Christmas 2015

Probably a stupid question but what is TP-developers?

From what I understood Win10 isn't that different from Win7 so shouldn't be that many compatibility issues or am I wrong?

Richard Åsberg

Titan X here on windows 10 all excellent just get it - no more to say really - latest nvidia will be loaded for windows 10 - you can go back to an older or tweaked version if you wish

Rich Sennett

Third Party

In theory everything is always simple :-)

Titan X here on windows 10 all excellent just get it - no more to say really - latest nvidia will be loaded for windows 10 - you can go back to an older or tweaked version if you wish

That's great news Ric but did you experience any actual benefits over Win7?

Third Party

In theory everything is always simple :-)

That was too easy :lol:

However do you really think there will be that much compatibility issues with TP add-ons running under Win10?

Richard Åsberg

Had no probs with the 353.50 W10 64 drivers for Nvidia. But there were reports that the driver upgrade was not being picked up by Windows Update.

Which version you running Ken?

What is keeping me from even considering Windows 10 is their forced updates that will exist with Windows 10 including driver updates. You have a GPU driver that works perfectly on Tuesday, and windows updates it Tuesday Night, and Wednesday you try and start your sim and it crashes due to a driver problem.  Thanks but no thanks. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

What is keeping me from even considering Windows 10 is their forced updates that will exist with Windows 10 including driver updates. You have a GPU driver that works perfectly on Tuesday, and windows updates it Tuesday Night, and Wednesday you try and start your sim and it crashes due to a driver problem.  Thanks but no thanks. 

From what I've read so far that is only true for the Home version of Win10.

Also, I wonder if that will be the case also with hardware drivers or only what MS classifies as important software updates and fixes.

Richard Åsberg

My only reservation with W10 is the update issue. I would be getting W10 Pro which at least allows you to DELAY the updates but still haven't determined how long you can do that.

Personally I would NEVER let Windows update ANY third party hardware driver. Update the OS, yes but NO to hardware.

At least with W10 Pro you can delay the updates until you see if they brick your system - which HAS happened often enough in the past to be of concern - and when all is good proceed.

but suppose you have *THE* Nvidia driver that just fits perfectly with your system - what happens when Windows decides to update to the "latest & greatest".

I think some further clarification of the update system is necessary.

Then again, anyone with W10 Home will get updates automatically no matter WHAT they want.

Somehow, that bothers me.

EDIT: Bobsk8 - typing at the same time!! LOL

@WM - as I understand it - there will be NO optional updates.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Running Win 10 build 10240 64bit (latest) with driver 353.49. Very happy chappy. No problems with my add ons (of which I have quite a few), and any other "funnies" like graphical corruptions, etc. And its super stable.

Didn't know about tricky update issue. Seems like Apple disease with their "update-or-die" approach is spreading everywhere

That's great news Ric but did you experience any actual benefits over Win7?

Hard to give you a good answer as I have not done a fresh install of it - just an update process and now on final - betting it would be better as a new install but here we go

Smoother p3d game play

PC boots blazing fast

Nothing was broken - all programs worked perfect - just had to reload sound card driver and video card driver on the 1st beta I loaded after that all was fine on the other builds

Forced updates not an issue - dont believe all the hype 

Free 

Go get it - you wont be sorry - I got a windows 10 pro iso off the web and when needed I will do a fresh install - you relinquishing your windows 7 license fyi - but on windows 10 I believe you just sign in now and register your new install of windows 10 when doing a rebuild

Rich Sennett

Windows Update under Win 10 - certainly for now - follows the same path as for current versions of Windows.

Updates are flagged as optional for the user to decide to d/l and/or install.

Same level of user control as at present.