Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Running P3Dv2.5 under Win10

Windows Update under Win 10 - certainly for now - follows the same path as for current versions of Windows.

Updates are flagged as optional for the user to decide to d/l and/or install.

Same level of user control as at present. 

The updates will be forced, unless you are a company having a Commercial or Enterprise account. where that would be up to your IT person to decide which and when updates would be installed. The only thing you can do is delay the updates for some period of time, which is not very long according to what I have heard from folks at MS. 

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-home-edition-may-force-updates/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ok, so from the input so far a summery would be no real issues other than possibly the Nvidia drivers for now and no real difference looking at the performance.

As for the forced updates if that indeed will be a problem meaning also 3rd party hardware driver updates will be forced I'm sure someone will figure out a way stopping that.

I already reserved a copy of Win10 so guess I'll give it a try once it's released making sure to have a good system image backup before hitting the Go button.

Richard Åsberg

I can guarantee you there is a way for Home users to be able to defer Updates. The user is in charge of the computer, not Microsoft. We did have a glitch in it a Build or two ago, but the technique works just fine with RTM and I see no reason to believe that will change.

No - go for it

I will go for it but will wait for the RTM version I already reserved and I'll be notified by MS when it's available. I see no reason upgrading to a beta version when the RTM version is only weeks away.

Richard Åsberg

I will go for it but will wait for the RTM version I already reserved and I'll be notified by MS when it's available. I see no reason upgrading to a beta version when the RTM version is only weeks away.

Web, I suggest you create a full system image of your present W7(x) installation before the 29th, like today is a good day to do it!  I just did. If you do not like W10 for any reason, then simply re-introduce your W7(x) system image, and you are back to your W7 desktop as though the W10.x installation never occurred.

Web, I suggest you create a full system image of your present W7(x) installation before the 29th, like today is a good day to do it! I just did. If you do not like W10 for any reason, then simply re-introduce your W7(x) system image, and you are back to your W7 desktop as though the W10.x installation never occurred.

Yep, will definitely make sure I have a good system image backup before upgrading.

Richard Åsberg

I can guarantee you there is a way for Home users to be able to defer Updates. The user is in charge of the computer, not Microsoft. We did have a glitch in it a Build or two ago, but the technique works just fine with RTM and I see no reason to believe that will change.

The community will always try to find a hack around something they don't like but MS has already stated that the Home User will NOT be able to defer updates. I cannot recall where I read the article (possibly How To Geek) but it stated that if you hack W10 to disable updates on home version, it will flag the copy as not legal with the resultant nag popup.

Hopefully MS will change their mind about forced updates.

If they keep the Critical & Optional settings in the Pro version, and keep hardware updates optional, I'd be a happy camper.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Windows Update under Win 10 - certainly for now - follows the same path as for current versions of Windows.

Updates are flagged as optional for the user to decide to d/l and/or install.

Same level of user control as at present.

Can you provide any MS statement to this effect? WU is most certainly NOT as it is, out of the box, like Win 7/8/8.1 (home and pro) .

I know this to be the case having been on the insider preview builds. Keen to know what OOTB settings can be changed on this.

Louise

London, UK

Just an fyi - computer acting funny - moving mouse on web was a bit slow so - low and behold windows was updating in the background as I suspected - so much for shutting of updates doesn't matter - mouse is still acting a little weird on browser and yahoo is real slow not sure whats going on hopefully sort itself out - this is windows 10 pro - nothing driver wise just security update but it appears the switch does not work it will still push it thru and I doubt that will ever change - keep you posted

Rich Sennett

The updates will be forced, unless you are a company having a Commercial or Enterprise account. where that would be up to your IT person to decide which and when updates would be installed. The only thing you can do is delay the updates for some period of time, which is not very long according to what I have heard from folks at MS. 

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-home-edition-may-force-updates/

Hi Bob (assuming your first name is Bob),

Only Windows 10 Home will receive forced updates with no ability to defer.  Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise will allow deferring just like it works in the Windows 10 Pro 10240 RTM build right now.

Here's a link to a Neowin article where Helen Harmetz, a Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager is quoted as saying that Windows 10 Pro will allow you to defer updates for 8 months.  If you exceed that, your machine will no longer receive updates.

I'm fairly certain that the several million Windows Insiders that will continue testing Windows 10 updates after GA on the 29th will discover problems with updates before they get released to the masses -  which should significantly reduce the instances of broken applications.  Of course this won't always work, but it should be much better than when it was only Microsoft testing updates internally before release.  I think 8 months is plenty of time to be sure an update won't break your box, but you never know.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Update - seems chrome needed updating due to windows updating as it was fine before - seems fine now - good guess on my part - Doug I have updates off that didnt matter it did it in the background anyway any ideas why - thanks

Rich Sennett

Only Windows 10 Home will receive forced updates with no ability to defer.  Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise will allow deferring just like it works in the Windows 10 Pro 10240 RTM build right now.

Here's a link to a Neowin article where Helen Harmetz, a Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager is quoted as saying that Windows 10 Pro will allow you to defer updates for 8 months.  If you exceed that, your machine will no longer receive updates.

I'm fairly certain that the several million Windows Insiders that will continue testing Windows 10 updates after GA on the 29th will discover problems with updates before they get released to the masses -  which should significantly reduce the instances of broken applications.  Of course this won't always work, but it should be much better than when it was only Microsoft testing updates internally before release.  I think 8 months is plenty of time to be sure an update won't break your box, but you never know.

That is pretty much what I said, Commercial and Enterprise Customers can control the updates to a certain extent. By the way,  I watch  a 2 hour broadcast by two experts in Windows, every week and have for years, and believe me they know quite a bit about windows, and probably would state that one should not swallow the Microsoft marketing manager PR, because with Microsoft, what he tells people  can change at a moments notice. Frankly I don't want some group of Microsoft Beta testers giving the OK to something that will be downloaded to my computer whether I like it or not. We know how well the Microsoft beta testers worked with with the MSFS products.  

Right now, my Windows 7 isn't broken. So I can try fixing it with Windows 10, until it breaks, or leave well enough alone.  The last disaster that MS came out with Windows 8, should be a lesson to anyone thinking about jumping on this new bandwagon. 

https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly

Just an fyi - computer acting funny - moving mouse on web was a bit slow so - low and behold windows was updating in the background as I suspected - so much for shutting of updates doesn't matter - mouse is still acting a little weird on browser and yahoo is real slow not sure whats going on hopefully sort itself out - this is windows 10 pro - nothing driver wise just security update but it appears the switch does not work it will still push it thru and I doubt that will ever change - keep you posted

Just what someone needs when they are on the ILS after a 5 hour flight....

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just what someone needs when they are on the ILS after a 5 hour flight....

Yes not good - what are They thinking - work computer ok even thats a pia but home pc gaming rig not cool

Rich Sennett

Yes but if it is a work computer it would be at least pro not home so can be controlled. Better get pro for your simulators! :)

Chris