Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Running P3Dv2.5 under Win10

Even now in Windows 8, some updates have to be installed on shutdown or restart. MS has made big headways in to reducing the number of updates that require a restart to take affect, however some do exist. To this end, I suspect that this will be true in W10, and some updates will wait until you restart or shutdown the computer.

That is pretty much what I said, Commercial and Enterprise Customers can control the updates to a certain extent. By the way,  I watch  a 2 hour broadcast by two experts in Windows, every week and have for years, and believe me they know quite a bit about windows, and probably would state that one should not swallow the Microsoft marketing manager PR, because with Microsoft, what he tells people  can change at a moments notice. Frankly I don't want some group of Microsoft Beta testers giving the OK to something that will be downloaded to my computer whether I like it or not. We know how well the Microsoft beta testers worked with with the MSFS products.  

Right now, my Windows 7 isn't broken. So I can try fixing it with Windows 10, until it breaks, or leave well enough alone.  The last disaster that MS came out with Windows 8, should be a lesson to anyone thinking about jumping on this new bandwagon. 

https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly

I have watched/listened to every episode of Windows Weekly with Paul and Leo, at first, and then the addition of Mary Jo Foley, and they have not mentioned anything at all about how long updates can be deferred.  I also watch/listen to another weekly technology podcast, "What the Tech", also with Paul Thurrott and hosted by Andrew Zarian, and they haven't discussed anything about how long you can defer updates. 

I was responding specifically to clarify that Windows 10 Pro could indeed be set up to defer updates, just like the Enterprise version.  You said, "unless you are a company having a Commercial or Enterprise account", and this seems to just point to companies with Enterprise versions.  I wanted folks to know that Windows 10 Pro has the same capability, and it will likely be used by just as many home users as companies.

Secondly, you said, "The only thing you can do is delay the updates for some period of time, which is not very long according to what I have heard from folks at MS."  I wanted to clarify that as well by pointing out that Microsoft said "8 months", which is hardly "not very long".  If you have a link to where someone from Microsoft said something different, please post it here.

And thirdly, the several million Windows Insiders are not "official" Microsoft beta testers.  Most are folks just like you and me who love the bleeding edge of technology and are very glad to pitch in and help a good cause.  I have been a Windows Insider since last fall and I specifically test all the simulator products (FSX Gold, FSX-SE, and P3D) in Windows with each build release.  I don't do this at Microsoft's request, I do it because I'm passionate about flight simulation and I love watching the technology move forward.  So at least there is one of us here that will be testing updates before they are released to the public at large.  :lol:

Windows 7 was (and still is) an amazing Windows release, and I enjoyed it and all it allowed us to do with simulation.  And I completely understand why you, and many others, want to stay with something that works, and works well.  Who can argue with that.  But there are other folks, like me, that love to ride the technology wave, and testing the latest OS releases fits the build nicely.  All the simulator versions and add-ons that I use have worked at least as well in Windows 10 Pro as they did in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  And if Lockheed releases a P3D version that capitalizes in DX-12, Windows 10 will indeed be the place to be. So, there's something for all of us.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I have watched/listened to every episode of Windows Weekly with Paul and Leo, at first, and then the addition of Mary Jo Foley, and they have not mentioned anything at all about how long updates can be deferred.  I also watch/listen to another weekly technology podcast, "What the Tech", also with Paul Thurrott and hosted by Andrew Zarian, and they haven't discussed anything about how long you can defer updates. 

I was responding specifically to clarify that Windows 10 Pro could indeed be set up to defer updates, just like the Enterprise version.  You said, "unless you are a company having a Commercial or Enterprise account", and this seems to just point to companies with Enterprise versions.  I wanted folks to know that Windows 10 Pro has the same capability, and it will likely be used by just as many home users as companies.

Secondly, you said, "The only thing you can do is delay the updates for some period of time, which is not very long according to what I have heard from folks at MS."  I wanted to clarify that as well by pointing out that Microsoft said "8 months", which is hardly "not very long".  If you have a link to where someone from Microsoft said something different, please post it here.

And thirdly, the several million Windows Insiders are not "official" Microsoft beta testers.  Most are folks just like you and me who love the bleeding edge of technology and are very glad to pitch in and help a good cause.  I have been a Windows Insider since last fall and I specifically test all the simulator products (FSX Gold, FSX-SE, and P3D) in Windows with each build release.  I don't do this at Microsoft's request, I do it because I'm passionate about flight simulation and I love watching the technology move forward.  So at least there is one of us here that will be testing updates before they are released to the public at large.  :lol:

Windows 7 was (and still is) an amazing Windows release, and I enjoyed it and all it allowed us to do with simulation.  And I completely understand why you, and many others, want to stay with something that works, and works well.  Who can argue with that.  But there are other folks, like me, that love to ride the technology wave, and testing the latest OS releases fits the build nicely.  All the simulator versions and add-ons that I use have worked at least as well in Windows 10 Pro as they did in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  And if Lockheed releases a P3D version that capitalizes in DX-12, Windows 10 will indeed be the place to be. So, there's something for all of us.

You make some good points....I'm still going to wait until the dust settles and see what develops. Microsoft can change their minds in a New York second, so I take anything they claim in one of their press releases or PR moves with a grain of salt. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Microsoft can change their minds in a New York second, so I take anything they claim in one of their press releases or PR moves with a grain of salt. 

Fair enough, my friend.  Time will surely tell.  In the meantime, it's great to know that we can both enjoy this hobby using a stable platform that keeps it running smoothly.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Fair enough, my friend.  Time will surely tell.  In the meantime, it's great to know that we can both enjoy this hobby using a stable platform that keeps it running smoothly.

I just wanted to say thanks to Doug Miannay for taking the time to try and be the voice of reason here. I understand that trying to get folks to stop with the everyday attacks on MS is right up there with wishing for World Peace and the end to hunger....LOL. Love MS or hate them, but they are here to stay. I just wanted to say thanks and please do keep the thousands of us who enjoy you thoughts on Windows 10 up to date.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/