Sign in to follow this  
learn-by-flying

Wow! - X-Pane Newbie Post, Questions inside.

First off, I had a topic about migrating to XP a while back. I've been playing with it now and I am seriously impressed by the sim and the "realness" factor provided. The new b6 from 10.40 is impressive to say the least. A few questions for the X-plane gurus and to the community:

-I am looking for a really good general aviation (single or twin) recip prop to get started, what would everyone recommend? I don't mind paying for quality either. Carenado/Alabeo have fantastic models but I am not sure if their "systems depth" is the same as on the P3D platform.

-Is there a utility which changes how ocean waters look at the more tropical locations? I primarily enjoy flying in the Florida region and the ocean/gulf seem to be a bit dark. (Maybe this is an effect of being spoiled by REX).

I think thats about the only questions I have left as I have UHD mesh, world2xplane working, along with things like xsquawkbox. But feel free to add anything I am missing.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I have both the KingAir and the Beech 1900 from Carenado.

The KingAir is great, but the Beech 1900 is awesome. Most every system is modeled and the flight dynamics are superb. So much so that it is now 'driving' my home fixed-base simulator.

You won't be disappointed!

p1075735283-6.jpg

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

I would have to recommend the Carenado CT210 Centurion as being one of my favorite in the fleet.

It has, for a single engine GA aircraft, power, GPS, retractable gear, and the fun factor that make it a great starter for paid for aircraft.

Bonus, it's not one of their higher priced aircraft.

John

ps - I agree with LawnDart.  I have both of them too, but the Centurion is much simpler to fly.  Anything from Carenado is a winner.

John Wingold

No, the system depth of the Carenados is much better. Compared to the X-Plane B1900 D the P3D/FSX Version is a toy.

The big advantage is, that it is impossibel to really convert a plane from FSX to X-Plane. The flight dynamics follow different rules.

While the B19900D in X-Plane can really slow down on approach with full governor, since it simulates that the propellers can generate a huge amount of drag you have to work around this problem in FSX.

But at the sdame time the Carenados aren't always the top of the line in realism. My personal favorites would be:

Carenado CT 210 if you add the Reality Expansion Pack from SimCoders, which improves the flight dynamics, engine and sounds (

)

The Beaver-2 from SoulMadeSim (

)

The vFlyteAir PiperArrow III

For two engines I would take

Ther Carenado B1900D,

the real simulation highlight: the X-Aviation Saab 340

I agree with the two previous posters. And Ill add my suggestion for the Centurion.

It has become my favorite since the simcoders Reality Expansion Pack came out for it. The only GA aircraft I fly at the moment.

Rob

I'm an XP newb as well.  ^_^  Although I have my eye on some of the Carenado / Alabeo aircraft, I already have quite a few of them from years spent in FSX.  I get that they're much improved system wise, and that the flight dynamics are different, but the problem is that with some of them, I've already spent a lot of hours looking out from the pilots seat. As such, they're just not quite as tempting.

For something that feels completely different, I've been enjoying a trio of Aerobask aircraft very, very much: The Legacy FG, the DA42, and the Epic E1000.  All three of them are great fliers, and just feel totally apart from anything I fly in FSX.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I am now just waiting to see if a sale pops up for anything soon. Hopefully the 210 or 207 get knocked down a few bucks.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

knocked down a few bucks

Doesn't happen often, but there is always a chance.  

The best part of the 210 is the retractable gear.  Just a little bonus and it helps keep you on your toes to keep the plane off its belly!

John

John Wingold

I like the newer Carenados in XP - also consider the Aerobask Legacy FG. Their planes are slightly more "cartoony" looking but still pretty good for the price.

I'd recommend one of Goran's older planes - the Sundowner or Duchess. Tom Kyler's MU-2 is also very good. Graphics not quite up to par with Carenado.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd recommend the CT206 and the C208B Grand Caravan. Both from Carenado, and great fun to fly and easy to learn. The C208B is a slight step up in difficulty, but it's very easy to fly and having flown in one of these, it's a plane I'm quite fond of