Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

For the Sci-Fi fans: Star Trek: Axanar - Prelude to Axanar

Yeah, yeah..... I know. Its not about airplanes!  :wink:

But sometimes I just like to share something nice. This is for the Trekkers and other Sci-fi fans. Enjoy.

The battle of Axanar is a kickstarter Star Trek net-movie, believe it or not. check it out here. http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-axanar#/story

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

That is outstandingly professional! Thanks for sharing.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Some of these fan made movies can have amatuer makeup, laughable acting, ect.......

But they are all done with lots of love.

When you find one with lots of love and everything else looks great...... how can a fan not support it?  :smile:

Devons rig

Devon, I wound not categorize Axanar as either a fan made movie or amateur, not when the main characters are being played by well-known professional actors...

Although I have to say that the years have not been very kind to Richard Hatch; I'd not have recognized him without the caption! :ph34r:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good thread.

I quite enjoy watching fan made movies online, especially sci-fi / time travel themes. 

Its amazing how much detail amateurs can throw into a short sometimes.  'Time Trap' for example (on youtube) is one excellent example, and this simple little film here is quite atmospheric (pardon the pun) >>>>.

Devon, I wound not categorize Axanar as either a fan made movie or amateur, not when the main characters are being played by well-known professional actors...

Although I have to say that the years have not been very kind to Richard Hatch; I'd not have recognized him without the caption! :ph34r:

Actually quite a few of these films manage to lure professional actors, especially ones from the original series. Its not at all that uncommon to see them pop up from time to time. Sometimes reprising their roles from the original shows.  ^_^

This little movie (they also do kickstarters) is far from an isolated example. Just in the First few minutes you see George Takei, the Original Yeoman Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) and Majel Barrett Roddenberry doing her well known ships computer voice. 

This one is from 2007, so fans have been doing this a looooooong time. (the people who made this one are still going strong)

Devons rig

I quite enjoy watching fan made movies online, especially sci-fi / time travel themes. 

And of course, Carl Sagan's voice adds gravitas to just about anything. Probably even to blowing bubbles with your chocolate milk!   :lol:

Devons rig

And of course, Carl Sagan's voice adds gravitas to just about anything. Probably even to blowing bubbles with your chocolate milk!

Yes Carl was 'the man'.

Not a sci-fi short this one, more of a 'flight' animation video......

https://youtu.be/0jiHuParonM

Yes Carl was 'the man'.

Not a sci-fi short this one, more of a 'flight' animation video......

https://youtu.be/0jiHuParonM

This is actually a UE4 engine tech demo. Nicely showing off its possible uses in 3d film as well as for games.

Devons rig

This is actually a UE4 engine tech demo. Nicely showing off its possible uses in 3d film as well as for games.

Yes, a short film made in UE4 and entered for the Sploid Film Festival..

Quote:

"Kite is a short animation film directed by Gavin Moran. It starts off as a simple tale of a boy playing with a kite that happens to have a mind of its own and ends satisfyingly with a lesson about being happy in life (or about just giving up!). The animation was rendered in real time using EPIC’s Unreal Engine 4 to show off its power ..but the story of the boy and his kite might be more remarkable".

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/a-boy-letting-go-of-his-kite-is-a-metaphor-for-love-and-1719819180

Interesting how they made it work so well........

Quote:

"...we did some sculpting ourselves to make some of the rocks and mountains more aesthetically pleasing. But the vast majority of this project was created in a quite interesting way. We’ve downloaded US Geological Survey Data and imported the heights data from the US Geological Maps...".

http://80.lv/articles/epic-changed-open-world/

PS:

Is this the cheesiest ever (cardboard) space suit helmet ;-).

StarTrek.....

https://youtu.be/l4TC5wl0IzE?t=3128

PS:

Is this the cheesiest ever (cardboard) space suit helmet ;-).

StarTrek.....

Authenticity with the original!  :lol:

Though I do admit that even after several years of doing episodes, The Star Trek: New Voyages films still have limited acting and a very visible shoestring budget. I'm very interested in seeing what this new Ares Studio will bring to the genre.

Devons rig

Authenticity with the original!

Indeed.  I just found it amusing when the obviously paper/cardboard helmet was removed, and an 'escaping air' sound effect was dubbed over the rustling paper sound  ;-)

Lawsuit to be dropped?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/in-off-the-cuff-anecdote-j-j-abrams-reveals-axanar-suit-will-be-dropped/

A few months back there was a fan movie, Axanar, that was getting made and there was this lawsuit that happened between the studio and these fans and Justin, and I’ll tell the story because he probably wouldn’t, was sort of outraged by this as a long time fan. We started talking about it and realized this was not an appropriate way to deal with the fans. The fans should be celebrating this thing... Fans of Star Trek are all part of this world. So he went to the studio and pushed them to stop this lawsuit and now, within the next few weeks, it will be announced this is going away, and that fans would be able to work on their project.

Devons rig