Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

Baytower RV-7 in P3D 2.5?

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting the Baytower RV-7 as it seems like a great addon. However, there does not seem to be a consensus as to whether it works in P3D 2.5 or not... After a little research I've found several posts saying that it works fine as long as the tansponder gauge is disabled, but also at least one person saying that since 2.5 it causes the sim to crash.

Can someone confirm whether it does (or doesn't) work in 2.5?

Thanks!
Steve

Well, I went ahead, bought the RV7 and am happy to report that it works very well in P3D 2.5!

To be more specific:

- Installed it with the Estonian Migration Tool

- At first, the sim crashes (CTD) after the vehicle is selected, caused by panels.dll

- This is apparently due to the transponder gauge (which has been mentioned in other threads). Disabling the gauge (gtx327) in the panel.cfg files (there are several) solves this problem, but of course it also means that the transponder is non-functional.

- All gauges (including the AoA indicator) seem to work

- Engine start works

- Lights work

- AP works

- Circuit breakers do NOT work. Not sure if they are supposed to be functional or only for show.

In short, apart from minor drawbacks the RV-7 is just fine in P3D! What a fantastic little aircraft, it flies beautifully.

I'm thinking that it should be possible to replace the transponder with some other gauge... I'll report back if I can find something.

Cheers,

Steve

I wasn't able to get the thing working... hmm....  I dont' have EMT tool though.  I did disable the xpndr.  Argh... I suppose I could invest in that tool.

Circuit breakers were never functional for the FSX version.  One of my favorite planes...  maybe I can get the GTN 750 in it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well, the EMT does use a number of tricks in order to get the addons working in P3D... such as running a fake fsx.exe as soon as P3D is started.

Anyway, there was one mure issue that came up during my 2nd test flight: about 20 minutes after takeoff, an error message saying something about a simconnect problem appeared. However it did not effect the aircraft in any way and I was able to complete the flight without issues.

I've also attempted to replace the transponder with another gauge, so far with moderate success... placing the default Bendix King transponder at least gives a working display, but unfortunately it's not possible to adjust it by pressing the buttons in the VC.

[VCockpit02]
size_mm=512,512
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$vcGarminStack
background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=btsRV7!gma340, 0,1,512,87
gauge01=btsRV7!gns530, 0,87,512,312
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr, 40,399,512,113

Haven't tried putting the GTN 750 into it yet, but it works very well in the Aerosoft Twin Otter (which also has a default GNS 530) so it should be possible in the RV7 as well.

Works great, just installed with the regular installer and pointed it to my P3D drive and then commented out the gtx327 gauge and she works like a charm.

Thanks - Martin

Holy moly thank goodness I revisited this thread.

I did get it installed Martin's way (into P3D v3).  Last time I tried I copied the files over manually and that didn't work!

Now off to try a GTN750 mod (and I need a xpndr)

rv7.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There's already a transponder in the GTN750. What mod are you talking about by the way?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Ya I know there's a popup with xpndr -

Oh I just mean putting the GTN map portion into the gns bezel

edit:  Mods by Bert

(enter under vcockpit2 entry)

gauge01=F1GTN!GTN750VC, 88,60,341,298,UNIT1

rv7agtnmod.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I've also attempted to replace the transponder with another gauge, so far with moderate success... placing the default Bendix King transponder at least gives a working display, but unfortunately it's not possible to adjust it by pressing the buttons in the VC.

Try this:

[Window01]

size_mm=300,355

position=8

visible=0

ident=15327

window_size= 0.340, 0.680

gauge00=btsRV7!gma340,                0,0,300,60

gauge01=btsGPS!gns530,                0,60,300,216

gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,    0,276,300,79

[VCockpit02]

size_mm=512,512

pixel_size=512,512

texture=$vcGarminStack

background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=btsRV7!gma340,                0,0,512,87

gauge01=btsGPS!gns530,                0,87,512,312

gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,   60,399,512,113

You can adjust the transponder in the radio popup stack  (shift-2)

Bert

Bert Pieke strikes again!

Bert do you happen to know why the NAV flags popup on the HSI when the GTN is in use?  Also the VOR from NAV1 doesn't drive the HSI.  I just noticed this after a few months of using this mod.

I'm in P3D v3.2 here

rv7tx.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hi Ryan,

I do not own the P3D version of the GTN, so cannot confirm what you are seeing..

Personally,  I still use the GNS in the RV7,  while hoping that Danny will decide to update the RV7 for P3D and GTN integration..

Bert

Im using p3d 3.2 and I get Simconnecterror which says EXCEPTION=3 Sendid-8924 Index=3 cbdata=24. How do I fix this?? thanks

That's so sad the AP doesn't follow the GTN NAV, it also doesn't allow the AUTOCDI=0 option. It always turns the CDI to the selected waypoint. I think the HSI was somehow coded to work only with that horrible GNS530.

Anyway, it's a great aircraft, really sad to hear Baytower stopped developing.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

That's so sad the AP doesn't follow the GTN NAV, it also doesn't allow the AUTOCDI=0 option. It always turns the CDI to the selected waypoint. I think the HSI was somehow coded to work only with that horrible GNS530.

Anyway, it's a great aircraft, really sad to hear Baytower stopped developing.

Send me a PM with your email address.. I actually modified the autopilot to work with the GTN back in 2014 and can send you a copy to test..

Bert

I haven't even tried installing the RV-7 into P3D 3.4 yet, but I have a few questions before I try.

1. Do I create an fsx.exe file and place it into the P3D folder, and then point the installer to that folder?

2. What do I need to comment out in the panel.cfg, and how do I do that?

3. How do I get my GTN 750 to work in the VC?

If this works, I'll be ecstatic.  I miss bashing the RV around the Pacific Northwest!