Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

The funniest thing i have seen in a good while.

This made me laugh out loud.  Check out the "cool dude" controlling the speed boat with the sun shades.    Watch it back in slow motion,  its even better 

lol.   You can actually see the woman's shades fly off her head in slow motion    :lol:

Ouch!! That looks like it would hurt their pride as well as their bodies.......

At first, when I saw them bracing against the wind, I was thinking of the people on the beach behind the planes at St. Maarten. Same result, people tumbling everywhere.....

Same root cause: lack of judgement.

Also: Speedboats don't have seatbelts? Huh.

"The driver of the boat, Marvin Carter, III of Memphis, TN suffered moderate injuries and a blow to his wallet as well.  He’s being cited for speeding and imprudent operation of the boat.   Five of the seven people on board were hospitalized, four of them with moderate injuries including broken bones."

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

OK, if that video gave a good laugh, I recommend you subscribe to the YouTube channel "Failarmy". It's the only consistent source of people getting injured for doing stupid things on the tubes.

I'll never understand why people find other people getting hurt funny. In my opinion, it's just in incredible bad taste, but to each their own....

At first, when I saw them bracing against the wind, I was thinking of the people on the beach behind the planes at St. Maarten. Same result, people tumbling everywhere.....

Same root cause: lack of judgement.

Hey, don't say that, I have a morbid curiosity to do that one day :P I'm sure I'll regret it, but have a great time doing it

Also: Speedboats don't have seatbelts? Huh.

Yes I would of thought that seat belts was a mandatory thing.

I'll never understand why people find other people getting hurt funny. In my opinion, it's just in incredible bad taste, but to each their own....

Nobody really got hurt, come on it was a little bit funny.

I agree with you.  I mean normally I'm game for a laugh at motoring mishaps etc. where there isnt obvious injury, perhaps just a few bruises.. But this speedboat incident obviously caused injuries and trauma to most of the occupants since the G- forces were so violent (even in slo-mo its obvious).. 

Now watch again and imagine that it's your mother/sister/brother/kids in that boat. https://youtu.be/EYX1rIe3SaQ?t=13

Note how the young girl is groaning in pain and shock; ... and how the man in blue at the back of the boat puts his hand to his head then checks to see if there is blood on his hands...not to mention the 'cool dude' who obviously came off worse after that horrific faceplant.  

Still funny?  Then perhaps you haven't experienced a violent car crash where, even if your not seriously injured, you're totally numb with shock and pain for at least the next 24 hours. I hope it never happens to you.

BTW. No one was hurt during this incident....>>>

BTW.  I had to laugh at the poor owner of this limo when he asked the train driver why he didnt stop in time!! (he said to the train driver: 'Didn't you see me?').

Drunk and vying for Darwin Award......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Still funny?  Then perhaps you haven't experienced a violent car crash where, even if your not seriously injured, you're totally numb with shock and pain for at least the next 24 hours. I hope it never happens to you.

Yes, because it didn't happen to me. Experiencing something you're self is very different to not at all. I've had horrible things happen, like everybody else, doesn't mean I won't laugh at something similar. You don't find it funny, fine, doesn't mean other people won't

Not funny at all TBH. I ended scratching my head why the bloke who drives wasn't a bit more careful?

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

You don't find it funny, fine, doesn't mean other people won't

I don't find the speedboat clip funny because I can empathise with those in the boat who obviously suffered, especially the teenage girl groaning in pain and distress.

Likewise, just because I don't live in a part of Africa that is affected by famine doesn't mean that I cant sympathise  with those families in Africa that have children dying from lack of food.  I obviously wouldn't expect anyone to ever find such a harrowing situation funny, especially on the grounds that it wasn't happening to them or their family personally.

At a deep level we are all connected,  its just a lack of empathy and compassion for our fellow human beings in traumatic situations that can make us appear separate. 

Also it can be an 'age thing' since children and teenagers often dont develop compassionate feelings for others since they are still maturing mentally and emotionally.  Mind you, some adults don't ever develop to the extent where they can feel compassion for strangers in painful situations and may instead find it humorous to see those people suffer obvious pain or shock.  But each to his own I guess.

I don't find the speedboat clip funny because I can empathise with those in the boat who obviously suffered, especially the teenage girl groaning in distress near the end..

Likewise, just because I don't live in a part of Africa that is affected by famine doesn't mean that I cant sympathise  with those families in Africa that have children dying from lack of food.  I obviously wouldn't expect anyone to ever find such a harrowing situation funny, but some individuals in the world might do.

At a deep level we are all connected,  its just a lack of empathy and compassion for our fellow human beings in traumatic situations that can make us appear separate. 

Also it can be an 'age thing' since children and teenagers often dont develop compassionate feelings for others since they are still maturing mentally and emotionally.  Mind you, some adults don't ever develop to the extent where they can feel compassion for strangers in painful situations and may instead find it humorous to see those people suffer obvious pain or shock.  But each to his own I guess.

I agree with you, but for me is easier: if you see a person getting hurt, in pain, or suffering, and you find it funny, that's because you are a horrible person, simple as that.

I think the people in this thread proclaiming this is the "funniest thing ever" should really stop and think about the kind of human being they are. 

I wonder why the people in the boat posted the video of their crash on You Tube and/or Facebook?  I guess they wanted to show others their pain and suffering?  I can understand if you or I posted the video of a boat with several occupants crashing and we had no connections with the occupants but someone in the boat took the video and posted it on the Internet.  Now, what's so funny about that?  You would think Google would have taken it down by now.  I have a feeling the occupants were shaken up but evidently not for long as they had to put it on You Tube and I'm sure Facebook to show all their friends and relatives.  To me it looks like they suddenly hit a large wake in the water and the driver lost some control and had to pull back the lever.  They didn't hit anything or else the occupants would have been seen screaming or taking other defensive actions prior to the hit.  This video has been going around the e-mail circuits for a long time now.  Is it funny?  Not to me (particularly at the end) but watching everyone hanging on as the driver is speeding across the lake or river and watching sunglasses flying was interesting to say the least.  So this is the "fun" of speed boating... racing across the waters at the highest speed possible and watching the occupants hang on for their dear lives.  I really think it teaches a lesson to those who are boating to be careful especially when you have several occupants.  BTW, where's the Coast Guard?  Where are their life vests?  I thought that was mandatory for everyone riding on a boat.  My humble two-cents worth....

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I wonder why the people in the boat posted the video of their crash on You Tube and/or Facebook?

Maybe as a lesson to others never to drink and drive.

Or as proof of how traumatic their experience was.

Is it funny? Not to me (particularly at the end) but watching everyone hanging on as the driver is speeding across the lake or river and watching sunglasses flying was interesting to say the least.

Fair point Jim.   So what Poppet and a few others probably found funny about this video were the surreal animated antics of g-forces at work on human bodies and sunglasses.  If the video had been edited not to show the obvious distress of the occupants then most people would have found the video amusing, perhaps even funny, but certainly not this end part.....

https://youtu.be/EYX1rIe3SaQ?t=22

Eh. I don't even try anymore to account for what constitutes funny. Was jackass funny? Not to me, but it made millions and spawned tons of sequels. America's funniest home videos shows things like this all the time to great ratings, and those videos are submitted by the people involved in the full knowledge that they will be laughed at. Most exciting police chases and shows like it cater to the same morbid curiosity.

*Shrug*

People are interesting critters, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

If it was still medieval times, and there was television, I'm sure Europe's funniest Jousts would be a sure hit. Historically, you could also mention the gladiators in the coliseum, and the whole feed them to the lions, thing as exciting spectator viewing.

Hmmmm..... Come to think of it, we are actually pretty tame.........

Devons rig